Hydro cannon and Shot Blast

Advertisements on soakers for sale. Sellers post here!
darthrambo

Hydro cannon and Shot Blast

Post by darthrambo » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:50 am

I picked these up in nerf lots that I got off craigs list.

I don't really like moding air powered guns so I thought I'd see if anyone here was interested in them

Both are in good condition, the hydro cannon has the shield and the shot blast has the stock.

Andrew

Re: Hydro cannon and Shot Blast

Post by Andrew » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:06 am

:confused:
But the Hydro Cannon and the Shot Blast both use elastic pressure of some description!!! The Hydro Cannon uses a cylindrical CPS bladder, whilst the Shot Blast appears to use a spring pressure chamber. Neither use air pressure. In fact the Hydro Cannon is ideal for modding. A simple nozzle laminator mod, with end caps, will create a decent, reasonably powerful assault weapon.
:D
Last edited by Andrew on Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Revolution Will NOT Be Dry!

atvan

Post by atvan » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:47 pm

Pssst- he's a nerfer

Methinks…

Airgun meaning a gun that shoots by compressed air from pumping.
Me gyro, me fly plane.

My Blog

darthrambo

Post by darthrambo » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:55 am

atvan wrote:Pssst- he's a nerfer

Methinks…

Airgun meaning a gun that shoots by compressed air from pumping.

You got it!

So for my moding it would be air pressure, not water.

But this water gun thing looks kinda cool, might try out some of the mods. I LOVE the fact that this site has a physics section.
Last edited by darthrambo on Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:46 am

darthrambo wrote:I picked these up in nerf lots that I got off craigs list.
Missed this bit, my bad (It doesn't help that they make Super Soakers under the NERF brand though!)
darthrambo wrote:I don't really like moding air powered guns
The Hydro Cannon certainly isn't air powered, neither is the shot blast! :confused:

But nerfers have found ways of using both of these to fire darts. Maybe even discs? (Runs away for fear of being shot many times)

I know some of the more purist nerfers are not fans of anything other than darts, and I'll admit it'd be more complicated to use them in a mod, but they do tend to have more range.

atvan

Post by atvan » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:30 pm

Not over stefans and a decent mod. ???
Me gyro, me fly plane.

My Blog

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:46 pm

:confused: Over Stefan's??? :confused:

I must be missing something. :p

EDIT: Oh wait Stefan darts! (I'm really slow today!)

I suppose a really good mod with modified Stefan darts would beat a vortex-style disc weapon.
The discs may be able to go further but they'll be less accurate and slower.
Last edited by Andrew on Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:03 pm

The vortex disks look like nothing more than gimmicks, but that and the Buzzsaw (which essentially works as a hop-up; it places a spin on the ball when fired in order to curve upwards to compensate for dropoff) seem to be Nerf's only ways of getting around poor ranges. Most of it probably has to do with toy safety regulations or their own company reservations on blaster power.

Andrew, you do realize that stock Nerf is specifically designed not to utilize their capabilities efficiently, right? Holes in streamline dart tips, hollow-body darts, air restrictors, barrels that don't seal (or don't seal for a decent length), etc.

atvan

Post by atvan » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:22 pm

A pretty basic LS mod will push it out to that range you shouldn't need a breech for that, just an AR removal and stefan compatibility.
Me gyro, me fly plane.

My Blog

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:23 pm

C-A_99 wrote:Most of it probably has to do with toy safety regulations or their own company reservations on blaster power.
You're right. A spinning disc may fly further, but it will move slower, and so hurt less on impact allowing for long ranges without reducing safety.
C-A_99 wrote:Andrew, you do realize that stock Nerf is specifically designed not to utilize their capabilities efficiently, right? Holes in streamline dart tips, hollow-body darts, air restrictors, barrels that don't seal (or don't seal for a decent length), etc.
I suppose that it comes down to:

a. safety regulations

b. what they think the customer wants as, lets face it, Habro is a toy company not a performance war game weaponry manufacturer (I doubt a parent would like their child to have a NERF gun that fires a dart really fast and hard, just to get good range, if it's going to hurt like hell at close range). Most production NERF guns are toys which true nerfers turn into performance dart weapons. :)

Both of these problems face water weaponry just as much as NERF weapons.

atvan

Post by atvan » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:43 pm

Yes, safety regs are definitly SS's limiting factor right now. Sure. :p

We have another probelm too- it is more efficient for hasbro to milk their patents than to come up with anything good.
Imagine that edison didn't market his idea, just sued anyone who made a lightbulb similarly- where would we be?
Me gyro, me fly plane.

My Blog

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:24 pm

atvan wrote:Imagine that edison didn't market his idea, just sued anyone who made a lightbulb similarly- where would we be?
I actually wouldn't be surprised. I heard he was a real sleezy character, and that he stole someone else's idea for the lightbulb.

I wanted to get a Hydro Cannon to mod, but I never got the chance.
Captain of the Catskill Mountain S.E.A.L.s (Soaker Elite Assault Legion.)

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:03 pm

atvan wrote:Yes, safety regs are definitly SS's limiting factor right now. Sure. :p
In terms of hasbro and the Super Soaker brand, what they think people want is also a limiting factor, as opposed to just safety regs. Infact, in some ways, you would be right safety regs are less of a limiting factor for Hasbro (admittedly the current line of weapons aren't going to cause anything worse than a slight chill).

They do come into the equation, however, as both factors link together in the same way as for the NERF guns. They don't want to scare off the buyers (generally parents) with what may be deemed as weapons which are too powerful (although the hydrocannon is a step in the right direction for Hasbro).

All of this is obviously in addition to what stores want. Something too big for the shelves, or too expensive, results in lower profits, even though they may offer better performance and/or value for money.
atvan wrote:it is more efficient for hasbro to milk their patents than to come up with anything good.
Unfortunately, you're quite right! Now WW's don't have the HP system, Hasbro has less competition, so aren't driven to make performance blasters. Though they do seem to waste time punishing their main rival, BBT, for a system vaguely simiar to theirs, whilst missing some blatent copys by other, less well known, companys!

The Saturator STR-50 for instance.

Or the Super Shooter CPS2000.

They obviously don't see these as real contenders in the water blaster market, unlike BBT.
SEAL wrote:I heard he was a real sleezy character, and that he stole someone else's idea for the lightbulb.
You may be referring to Joseph Swan. There's more about it here. Apparently he patented his lightbulb a year before Edison (and even he may not have been the first inventor).

EDIT: I like how we've filled a thread, created for the purpose of selling blasters, with reasons for the demise in decent water and NERF weaponry. :D

It's obviously a subject close to our hearts!
Last edited by Andrew on Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.