Crank Handle Pump

Threads about water gun modifications.
Celcius1

Crank Handle Pump

Post by Celcius1 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:28 am

I've been going over the handle pump designs, and there all based on the Super Soaker hand pump which goes in/out simple effective but very tiring on the arm if u have a large resevoir, (i like back pack tanks, more on tap ammo) so have been on and off looking into a crank handle pump where all i do is turn a handle and it does the pumping easily and effectively.

I dont know if anyone has tried this, but feedback would be greatly appreciated

Celcius1

atvan

Re: Crank Handle Pump

Post by atvan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:04 pm

Not again…

The reason that SS used the piston pump is because it is cheapest, most reliable, and easy for smaller people because they don't have to pump it all the way. Crank pumps, no matter what the type, have problems, be it volume, mechanical (dis)advantage, or fragility. Also, we would love if you searched for previous topics before posting one. There was a post on thie a few weeks ago here, detailing why it would not work. Don't feel too bad because I don't think that "crank" was used in that discussion.
Me gyro, me fly plane.

My Blog

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:35 pm

I'm pretty sure that someone could build a homemade crank pump that would work very effectively. The reason why they are not used in mass produced water blasters is because they are require lots of little parts, are asymmetric, and can break rather easily.

I'm intrigued to see someone build one though, on paper it seems pretty straight forward!
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

Fatalness

Post by Fatalness » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:25 pm

I've done some research on the topic myself on this option and atvam is right

Volume is usually poor and the cranking feels awkward unless on a turret or slung in some way.

handles usually are too fragile. you can check my posts on the different pumps i researched on my profile
My Very First Mod and Gun - The $5 Dollar QFD Backpack Mod

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:45 am

I've test-fired a Shield Blaster, which you crank the pump to shoot. Range and output aren't too bad, but the cranking action throws your aim off. With a standard piston pump, your pumping force is more or less along the firing axis, reducing impact on aiming while pumping.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:41 pm

I own a shield blaster, and I second all of what cantab said. I have to add that the stream is entirely dependant on whether or not you can get a smooth motion going, where you accelerate on the parts where you arent pumping water to keep a smooth stream. Not worth the time to make a homemade one.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.