New Water Gun/Cannon/Rifle

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
iPuma101x

New Water Gun/Cannon/Rifle

Post by iPuma101x » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:57 am

Hello everyone, I've been wondering how to make a Water gun i wanted, (i'm new, so please keep bad comments to yourself, and if i'm not in the right forum section please correct me :) ~) I have no idea what to do.... Where does this thing go? How do i do this? What the heck is this? :confused: that kind of thing. Well, i need help on how i can put it together :)
I have drawn how its pretty much suppose to look on the outside yet, on the inside, i have NO idea what to make of it. :( :eek:

The only thing i know how to do pretty much is, putting the parts together, but with instruction. I already have the reservoir/tank for the water. that seems simple to use, right? and then some spray paint.......
Well yeah you get the idea right? Completely clueless here :(

Heres a diagram of my idea
(NOTE: The Picture IS at SCALE)
I'm thinking about.... 20-25inches in length
Last edited by iPuma101x on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Picture/drawing

atvan

Re: New Water Gun/Cannon/Rifle

Post by atvan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:14 pm

Well, to save space, chop down the barrel. That barrel will likely reduce range, due to friction. Also, the handle should be farther back, or you won't be able to hold the thing level. Remember that water is heavy. That pump is too short to do anything in this century, its gonna need to be longer, unless you devise some sort of telescoping pump from brass.the trigger you have there would only really work on a rotational axis, which is a pain in the ass to create. You also have a PC smaller than an arctice shock in there.

Here comes the part where I ruin your hopes and dreams. To get a water gun looking like that, you're going to need plastic molding machines, and they ain't cheap. You could make a casing out of foam, but that will be fairly weak. You could also make a simpler case, like in the Riptide DR-4(search it, I'm being lazy).

One complement though- nice drawing, what program did you use?
Me gyro, me fly plane.

My Blog

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:53 pm

Welcome to the forums!
Before you start building a homemade, you should probably read this article first, as it has all the basics.

Your idea is certainly doable, but it'll be tricky, especially for a first homemade. I have something in mind for your idea (ask about it if you want to see it), but I recommend building a basic, ugly-looking homemade first just to get used to it.
Last edited by mr. dude on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

iPuma101x

Post by iPuma101x » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:09 am

Molding dosnt seem like such a problem, i've got such thing in mind :p
Last edited by iPuma101x on Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

atvan

Post by atvan » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:32 am

How is plastic molding not a problem? Do tell. It maye be very useful to us.
Me gyro, me fly plane.

My Blog

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:37 am

If you're confident you can do it, then great! That's all you need.
Although I'd say if something is too hard, it stops being fun and just becomes frustrating.

Anyway, from this point on, I'll assume you read the APH article I linked.

Now, in the picture you put up, you don't have much space for a pressure chamber, so it would have to be compact. As you see in the APH article, pressure chambers can get really big, so I wouldn't go with standard air-pressure. I recommend using balloons to power your water gun as they're cheap and easy to work with, layer about 50 balloons on one another, that should give you sufficient power. This here is a link to something similar to what I'm suggesting (also includes a trigger, so have a look at that). Furthermore, as Atvan said, I recommend increasing the length of the pump and decreasing the length of the barrel.

That's all I have to say for now, let us know if you need anything!
Last edited by mr. dude on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

atvan

Post by atvan » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:07 am

mr. dude, the link was not working. However, this one is.
Me gyro, me fly plane.

My Blog

iPuma101x

Post by iPuma101x » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:38 am

atvan wrote:How is plastic molding not a problem? Do tell. It maye be very useful to us.
I meant the molding would be no problem because it doesn't have to be plastic, you could use wood for example, have 2 sides (like a watergun) have space for tubes and what not, that kind of stuff.
Then. that wood can be coated with something else, such as tape, (which may be messy if it gets wet) I would try PVC glue for coating. (not gluing the edges that were put together of course.)
Wrapping the tape around the wooden parts, then coating it with the glue :] or glue->tape when dry->glue again->wait til its dry
Last edited by iPuma101x on Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:33 am

Whoops, I was doing the links backwards. Both fixed now.

Anyway, building a case shouldn't be a problem. It'll take a lot of work and patience, but, as with anything else, all you need is the right mindset and a good set of tools. You can build it out of anything, wood, aluminum sheets, that's the beauty of homemades. If you use wood, I'd give it a coat or two of white glue/carpenter's glue/any PVA glue, then a coat of waterproof spray paint, then whatever paintjob you want to give it (using acrylic paint), followed by a shiny sealant.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:51 am

I knew a guy who prefered to use a paper machae of sorts, only replacing the paper and glue with thin plastic strips and a sort of slow drying epoxy mix. He made some nice shells, but nothing that complex.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

Specter

Post by Specter » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:36 am

atvan wrote:
One complement though- nice drawing, what program did you use?

Looks like he used either Adobe Illustrator or Indesign (i used them both, one in a graphics class, just cant remember which)
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october