Dual Pump System - (DPS)

Threads about how water guns work and other miscellaneous water gun technology threads.
Fatalness

Dual Pump System - (DPS)

Post by Fatalness » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:32 am

Hi Guys, I'm back with more pump ideas.

I'm really interested in inventing new pumps to increase efficiency.

I been reading up more and it seems that one of the limitations of most waterguns is
what i'll call the 30 pump wall. Most of us do not want to pump more than that because of downtime and effort involved.

So what have I got for you this time?

The Dual Pump System (DPS) is what i think i will call it.

The idea was inspired by peristaltic pumps. The issue with those was that they had poor volume, thus long pump times. However the circular motion of those pumps were still a good idea to me. Circular motion returns energy unto itself, whereas the normal pumping action must completely change direction. Also energy is wasted because you only get energy stored when you pump into the gun and not away.

So I got to thinking and the answer came to in CARS. The crankshaft of a car engine is turned by pistons. I theorize that the same idea can be applied to water guns.

Here's how it will work:

Instead of one pump, two will be used (or more see below).

Like an engine, the pumps will be attached in alternating positions on a wheel. The pump handles should be attached on a crankshaft that is housed within two wheels.

To the wheel is a Handle that is cranked turning the wheels, crankshaft and pumping the pumps alternatively.

Ideally what you should get is a system that continuously pumps your gun at all stages of turning.

Wikipedia has a animation showing 4 pistons on a crankshaft for now i propose only two. see here for a better look.

Potential Problems :

Construction - this is a pretty sophisticated system that expects a person of certain skill and patience to build. I realize that the more moving parts there are the more things that can go wrong.

Length - Since it will be a continuous pump, i think its possible to reduce the length of each pump to make room for the wheel since there are more pumps at work and the system is created to pump continuously. That should offset the loss in volume.

Weight - The biggest problem I think lies here. Using wood parts is not ideal, since they expand and can become moldy. If it's too heavy, it's probably not ready for current portable homemades. BUT what if this idea is applied to a turret?

Vibrations - . The next big obstacle. the vigorous pumping motion many of you are used to may be preferable to this. while the first pumps are easier, as the pressure rises there is a resisting pressure that will probably cause the user to tilt the gun at odd angles when the last few pumps make it especially difficult to hold the gun in its intended position

Expansions on Theory and Applications :

Multiple Pump System MPS - Having more pumps means more volume pushed per turn of the wheel! We might one day use a term like Pumps Per Second (pps)!

Turrets - Turrets are already large and clunky but it seems that water guns and launchers have not caught up to them yet. While it may not be easy to make a compact version of this yet, its certainly viable on a larger turret system where reloading times are the main vulnerability of stationary turrets.

Like a two man Machine Gun team, this system can be adapted to provide pressure more quickly, efficiently, and most importantly Constantly!

Chain Gun. is this self explanatory? a BFG with a shoulder strap and huge resevoir and Terminator like stance. In my dreams, it is glorious.

Well, theres my two cents. Currently I'm on a really low budget being a student and all and no allowance or job. All i got is 35 bucks so building a really sophisticated gun is out of the question. But that doesn't you guys can't!

So far I haven't seen this idea implemented in waterguns yet, but if i'm wrong i'll be glad to give credit where its due.

I would love to hear what you all think of this and Feel free to try it out!

atvan

Re: Dual Pump System - (DPS)

Post by atvan » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:59 pm

You forgot friction. These designs work one way well, the other, not so much. Qhile it would provide continuous pumping, there would be a great deal of problems. Turning things like that are like starting a bike or car in its highest gear. No acceleration.you could put huge leverage or gears, but that would be awkward or add weight, respectively.

It might bee good in a turret, but nobody likes to sit at a turret all day. If you did build one, use pedals and gears from a bike. You could choose fast or easy pumping with the gears, and your feet have more power. This also lets you use both feet. You could also build regular pups for your feet, which might work better.

Fatalness

Post by Fatalness » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:04 pm

I Like the bike Application, perhaps from that we can devise a mobile turret? And the Gun can rest on the handlebars.
Plus The bike can be used to carry much more water.

Fatalness

Post by Fatalness » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:18 pm

aghhhh Friction!!!! What a thing to forget! The Effort involved is probably ginormous, But maybe in the future when more exotic materials become cheaply available it will be possible.

Well I'm not giving up.

Perhaps theres something out there we can use just not discovered yet.

The search continues....

atvan

Post by atvan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:58 pm

It is not just friction, but mechnical advantage too. They are made to slow the crankshaft down, increasing power.