Rattler: Halo, Anyone?

Threads about water gun modifications.
strato_2r5

Re: Rattler: Halo, Anyone?

Post by strato_2r5 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:14 pm

Hmm... I'm going to cut the tubing shorter, so I'll see if it still works without the nozzle. If it works and has a double valve then that's less work for me.
Sorry if I'm not active much, busy on another forum and another project non-soaker related.

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:32 pm

The Rattler is piston-powered. That means it only needs one check valve.

EDIT: While it only needs one valve, the way the internal are set-up does pose the threat of air entering the system. I would suspect that the second valve is located in the nozzle. The easiest way to check would be to operate the gun while it is open and see if water moves in that clear tube leading to the nozzle while pumping.
Last edited by wetmonkey442 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

strato_2r5

Post by strato_2r5 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:12 pm

I took the main pump out of the gun, which was attached to the intake tube and the nozzle. If I plugged the intake tube with my hand, I was unable to move the pump forwards to draw water. That means there is a check valve somewhere in the nozzle or the pump.

Wetmonkey, I don't quite understand what you are saying. When pushing the pump back, the water moves forward towards the nozzle, if that's what you mean. I don't think it went back inside the pump.
Sorry if I'm not active much, busy on another forum and another project non-soaker related.

atvan

Post by atvan » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:24 am

@wetmonkey- a piston gun needs two check valves unless it is a syringe. it is a regular water gun without the PC. That includes the 2 check valves. If the second one wasn't there, air would just come in the nozzle during pumping instead of water from the reservoir.

-G-JiV-

Post by -G-JiV- » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:05 pm

Not always^^ If the nozzle is VERY small and the pump-volume is big and the input-pipe from the reservoir is also VERY BIG and water can flow in easily through the check valve AND you move the pump fast when "sucking" water from the reservoir, there will be nearly just water in the pump. the slower you "suck" the more air will come in....

never think about using only one check valve, the worst idea ever...
A gunner has to do what his Soaker requires...

strato_2r5

Post by strato_2r5 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:13 am

Well, I got the rest of the pieces today, and the check valve made the assembly a lot longer than I expected. I haven't started assembling it yet so I am experimenting with different layouts. Currently the one I am using awkwardly hangs outside the shell. I'll attach some pictures later of my originally planned layout, and then some other possible layouts.

Edit: @atvan, there is only one check valve. If I pulled the pump slowly I could only draw a few drops of water. When I pull the pump quickly I was able to fill most of the pump with water.

atvan

Post by atvan » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:46 am

@GJ- now that yo put it that way, that's probably what Hasbro did. :p

strato_2r5

Post by strato_2r5 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:55 am

The first photo is of my originally planned layout. I did not included the PC case and the hose barbs as the barbs were still packaged and the PC case is subject to change. The second photo shows another layout I could use, however two 90 degree turns would decrease the range (though I'm not sure by how much, does anyone have an idea of how much feet I would lose?). I also don't have any 90 degree elbows, so just imagine there is one in the gap. The third picture would probably perform the best, though I don't like how high up the valve is.
Attachments
IMG_0150.JPG
IMG_0148.JPG
IMG_0147.JPG

atvan

Post by atvan » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:16 am

It is all a matter of what you want- performance or aesthetics. I would recommend you make some sort of structural support like wood or plastic. Search the DR-4 Riptide for an example of what would work well.

strato_2r5

Post by strato_2r5 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:32 am

My goal in perfomance is for it to be better than a stock Arctic Blast. As for support, once I've cemented and teflon taped everything, I'll lay it in the blaster shell and use hot glue to fill the space between the shell and the PVC assembly. Then later on if it needs support I'll probably make a wood structure underneath the the PVC assembly.

strato_2r5

Post by strato_2r5 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:31 pm

Does anyone have an idea of how much range I would lpse with the two 90 degree bends in the second layout? If it's a significant amount I will go with the third layout.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:50 pm

Use the 1st or 3rd design. The 2nd would lose power, but would still be better than an Arctic Blast. [My guesstimate, not sure.]

atvan

Post by atvan » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:09 pm

You likely won't get that good. I'm guessing MD5k/6k-ish. The 90 degree bends will cause more turbulence that anything, so you could add a laminator to fix most of the problem.

strato_2r5

Post by strato_2r5 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:46 pm

iSoaker states that the MD5k gets about 36', and the highest the 6k can get is 39'. Atvan, you're talking about with the second layout, right? If so, I'll use the second layout, report back here, and if I want more range, I'll K-mod and add a laminator. Only problem would be that I think my Lowe's only sells bushings, not bell reducers.

atvan

Post by atvan » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:32 pm

My Arctic Blast shoots 5+ feet farther than my MD6k. Both were brand new. I think the different designs will all have about 35 feet.

You can improvise a design for a laminator depending on what is available.