3DS Vs. NGP

Topics related specifically to video gaming.
strato_2r5

3DS Vs. NGP

Post by strato_2r5 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:03 am

So, the 3DS came out recently, and the NGP is scheduled for this holiday season. This is basically a new version of an older thread I just read. This next sentence is so I don't necro the thread. (PSP is waaaaaay better than DS. Ex: Peacewalker took best handheld game.) What do you guys think of these new systems?

Personally, I like the NGP more than the 3DS. I tried the 3DS at Target and the 3D feature makes me cross eyed. Also, Nintendo is geared towards the family friendly market. Plus, Nintendo focuses on RPG's alot, and I don't like that genre (Please don't hate).

The NGP is better for shooters now; you can have good controls on the NGP due to the dual analogs, touch screen, and rear touch pad. Theoretically, you can now have an R2 and L2. Yay! Also, I like NGP better because I grew up with racing games; my uncle being a go kart racer at the time. To me, the DS is geared towards action racers, and I'm more of a Gran Turismo guy.
Last edited by strato_2r5 on Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry if I'm not active much, busy on another forum and another project non-soaker related.

cantab

Re: 3DS Vs. NGP

Post by cantab » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:51 am

Haven't seen or heard of the NGP. I've had a go on the 3DS, and yeah the 3D feels weird. Also I think it's too expensive, and reportedly has a poor battery life.

I like RPGs, but then I also like racing games. The lack of a good serious racer on the DS is a shame. (I've played Grid, and didn't think much of it.)

But really, it comes down to two things. One is titles. So far the only 3DS game I'm at all interested in is Pilotwings. I don't know what the NGP is launching with. Second is cost. For the money I'd spend on the 3DS, I could get a Wii, XBox 360, or PS3, and quite possibly have money left over. If the NGP is a similar price point, then it too will be something I may look at and like, but ultimately leave on the shelves.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

strato_2r5

Post by strato_2r5 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:10 am

cantab wrote: But really, it comes down to two things. One is titles. So far the only 3DS game I'm at all interested in is Pilotwings. I don't know what the NGP is launching with. Second is cost. For the money I'd spend on the 3DS, I could get a Wii, XBox 360, or PS3, and quite possibly have money left over. If the NGP is a similar price point, then it too will be something I may look at and like, but ultimately leave on the shelves.
I think the NGP will be released with KillZone, Battlefield 3(?), Uncharted, another Little Big Planet, and some RPG's.
Oh yeah, the NGP wil also have a camera and a gyro.
Sorry if I'm not active much, busy on another forum and another project non-soaker related.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:31 pm

I stopped caring much for portable/handheld gaming after there were no more half-decent games coming out for the NDS. I game mostly on PC and Xbox 360 now, but the Xbox is mostly there for easier LAN parties and for a few platform exclusives.

Oddly, I never got too fervently into game genres other than the FPS and a narrow set of strategy (not RTS) games. I used to be mostly into Nintendo's core/1st party franchises, but there's not as many of them as there are good series on other platforms; the Wii has been extremely lacking in terms of console hardware capability and game selection this generation.

strato_2r5

Post by strato_2r5 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:04 am

I agree CA, the Wii definitely needs more good series. Right now I just play Rockband and party games on it. I use my PSP most of the time at home, though I only play SOCOM online and SW Battlefront II. The main downfall, I think for the PSP, is the controls and titles. Hopefully both will be fixed with the NGP, as better controls will attract more shooter developers.

And I think my PSP has better graphics than some Wii games. Whats the resolution of the PSP vs. DS?

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:57 am

480x272 on the PSP. 256x192 on the DS. (The PSP thus has more pixels despite the DS having two screens.) The PSP also has a greater colour depth.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Fredcompany

Post by Fredcompany » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:56 am

Although I'll almost certainly get neither the 3DS or the NGP, my friend will probably get the NGP, and already has the 3DS. The 3DS is impressive (especially its AR) but the NGP looks like it'll be so much better. The quad-core CPU and GPU will really make it stand out where the Xperia Play failed.
I'm a dude

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:21 pm

The Kinect and Move are getting their share of party games, though they're probably too late and pricey to affect the Wii too much. As I like to say, the Wii was made as a video game console for people who don't like video games. Its almost like the Apple of game systems except without being ridiculously priced. (Though currently, the Xbox alone is still the best value out of all systems until you factor in Xbox Live fees.)

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:18 pm

Both. The 3DS is going to have OCARINA OF TIME!!!!! And the NGP is going to have KILLZONE!!!!! So yea... im going to have to decide, but not yet. Wait until the NGP is out to see whether or not it is worth the money, then decide.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.