Arctic Blast Vs. Iron Man 2 Blaster

General water gun discussion.
strato_2r5

Arctic Blast Vs. Iron Man 2 Blaster

Post by strato_2r5 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:04 pm

I got an Iron Man blaster today and it wasn't compatible with my Overload's backpack. Why is this? I thought the Arctic Blast had an enlarged reservoir cap, mine is standard size. Also, why doesn't the trigger click? Is it so it won't break that easily?
Sorry if I'm not active much, busy on another forum and another project non-soaker related.

cantab

Re: Arctic Blast Vs. Iron Man 2 Blaster

Post by cantab » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:33 am

Maybe they dropped the Max Infusion connector from the Iron Man Blaster, since Max Infusion is from several years ago.

I have heard at least one of the valves was changed to a pull valve, which don't click. Not 100% sure on this though.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:09 am

The main stream's trigger has been devoid of Max-D since the AB transitioned to the IM. I believe (and always assumed that) they use ball valves based on how they behaved when I tried them in the stores. (They didn't seem to be as responsive as most pull valves are, and it makes more sense to use ball anyway since less changes would have had to have been made.)

strato_2r5

Post by strato_2r5 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:03 am

Would it be possible to attach PVC threaded adapters to the opening of the reservoir? That way I could attach the Overload's cap onto the PVC, which leads to the reservoir. Also, how do you remove the tether?
Sorry if I'm not active much, busy on another forum and another project non-soaker related.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:07 am

Theoretically, its possible to do just about anything physically possible with the right amount of work, tools, materials, etc. However, I'm not sure on the exact differences between the threads, and the Overload is reverse threaded so its highly unlikely that you'll find a solution for it.

One possibility may be to simplify things. Attach the reservoir to a hose barb somehow and cut the tube on the Aquapack, leaving enough slack on the end of the old attachment so that it can be used again. The cut tube that comes from the pack is then connected to the hose barb, or connected to an adapter or tube that can connect to the hose barb (see tube stacking). Then to connect to the Overload again, you can connect a hose barb to that Overload, or you can simply connect the old attachment (the piece that attaches the Max-Infusion adapter to the tube) to the backpack again via coupler. (Or darn it, using a short piece of tube as a coupler and tube stacking them if you're too lazy to find a coupler.) Tube stacking is not the greatest thing around as the connection isn't all that great and it isn't guaranteed to seal in every case, but its easy, quick, and cheap.

Again, I can't speak for these blasters too well, not even for Max-Infusion itself (out of the Max-I line, I only own a Flash Flood and never had any Aquapacks) so there's probably at least one thing wrong with my ideas. You'll have to get creative and find out how to implement something specifically for what you have.

strato_2r5

Post by strato_2r5 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:03 pm

Alright, thanks CA. Just one more question, how do you get the tether out of the reservoir? It doesn't fit sideways.

-G-JiV-

Post by -G-JiV- » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:53 pm

strato_2r5 wrote:Alright, thanks CA. Just one more question, how do you get the tether out of the reservoir? It doesn't fit sideways.
It DOES fit sideway. Do NOT force it out diagonally(one edge up) but with both edges up, parallel to the cylindrical reservoir opening. You can decompress the plastic a bit while pulling it out. This way you can get it out or in.

Manufacturers built up reservoir and then they add the thethered cap in the end. If it can be put in, it can be put out the same way too.

good luck :)
A gunner has to do what his Soaker requires...

strato_2r5

Post by strato_2r5 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:28 pm

C-A_99 wrote:Theoretically, its possible to do just about anything physically possible with the right amount of work, tools, materials, etc. However, I'm not sure on the exact differences between the threads, and the Overload is reverse threaded so its highly unlikely that you'll find a solution for it.
Do they sell straight threaded pipes or couplers? The reservoir openings on my Overload and Iron Man 2 Blaster are threaded horizontally with gaps in the threads instead of being threaded diagonally.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:25 pm

I might be able to get you a FF with a max infusion cap, but I'll have to do some work as the pump currently is not attatched to the gun.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

marauder_4

Post by marauder_4 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:03 pm

C-A_99 wrote:The main stream's trigger has been devoid of Max-D since the AB transitioned to the IM. I believe (and always assumed that) they use ball valves based on how they behaved when I tried them in the stores. (They didn't seem to be as responsive as most pull valves are, and it makes more sense to use ball anyway since less changes would have had to have been made.)
So..... theoretically this means that the Iron Man should last longer than the AB???? I may have to purchase one....

strato_2r5

Post by strato_2r5 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:41 am

-G-JiV- wrote:It DOES fit sideway. Do NOT force it out diagonally(one edge up) but with both edges up, parallel to the cylindrical reservoir opening. You can decompress the plastic a bit while pulling it out. This way you can get it out or in.

Manufacturers built up reservoir and then they add the thethered cap in the end. If it can be put in, it can be put out the same way too.

good luck :)
I tried that a few days ago. It doesn't fit with both corners up.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:57 am

Some cap tethers are easier to remove than others, which is strange; some will slip out easily and even fall out accidently if the blaster is being filled aggressively, while others seem impossible to remove without mangling or trimming the plastic stopper.

I would guess that the IM's main trigger would indeed last longer than the AB's. I don't know how well the AB's mechanism was done, just that the FF's is pretty crappy. That said, the fact that the FF's problem seems to always be the same thing, the repairs for it are somewhat well known and documented (part of which I've helped with). The main trigger can be de-Max-D'd by rubber bands and if the top trigger's spring is a lot more reliable, so usually all thats needed is lubrication.

Not sure how this all applies to the AB/IM because I have neither and haven't worked extensively with the AB. (Shot one a few times as my friend has them.)