how to use Bike tubing instead of LRT

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Killi101

Re: how to use Bike tubing instead of LRT

Post by Killi101 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:32 am

I have the Latex.

Im still debating how im going to do this i got a couple of plans:
1: Use 2 pipes and fill latex inbetween (problem because i cant get right sizes)
2: Get the 1/2in vinyl tubing and stick a rod to make it more straight and then paint on the latex
3: Find a rod of a good size and paint on the latex
4: Use Modeling clay to make a whole mould and pour in the latex

What do you think, ive only got 1l so i got to be wise about it
Water:
dont like drinking much
like to throw it at people

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:41 am

One of the biggest challenges will be to make sure you can remove the latex from any former you use. If you take a dipping approach, then once there's a bit of thickness you should be able to roll it off, then straighten it out again and add more. But I've never worked with anything like this.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Killi101

Post by Killi101 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:02 am

yea ill probably do that, but it wouldnt be advisable as the latex takes 12hrs to dry so taking it out early could deform it, ill probably put talkum powder on it or somthing. they gave me a guide on how to make moulds so ill follow that.

for the dipping i got this
its got a volume of 304ml and its diamter is 1.5in and its height is 10.5in so its perfect
Last edited by Killi101 on Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Water:
dont like drinking much

-G-JiV-

Post by -G-JiV- » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:50 pm

hui...liquid latex ? I did not know that something like this can be bought...

Do you know how big candles are made? A machine moves a wodden stab into a box filled with hot and liquid wax, then the stab is moved backwards, out of the box. There it waits for about 5 seconds. Meanwhile cold air is blown at the stab to colden the wax a bit, again the stab moves forward into the box, outward...move after move the wax-film get thicker and thicker and the candle is finished. Then the wodden stab is removed and the candlewick is put in.
I do not know what you have to do that the latex dries, but if you use your pipe and close it on on side(latex should not get inside the pipe I think)and put it in, then out vertical and blew hot air at it, and so on...the latex film will become constant all around.
It is just an experience how candles are made, may you can us this in a way. Good luck man^^

Killi101

Post by Killi101 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:08 pm

Speaking of candles, i bought 3 long ones, and im going to cut one to the right OD and dip them in the latex instead of the pipe, this is the rod i will use. I will make a full guide of how to do this, if it works.
Water:
dont like drinking much

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:31 pm

Candles are thinner on one end than the other. Are you ignoring this or have you found some other type of candle?

-G-JiV-

Post by -G-JiV- » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:56 pm

That is really funny^^ I had the same idea as killi101, althoug i read the last few replies 1 hour later...haha

There are lots of candls without a conical design, I am sure he uses the right onces^^
By the way, it may be a good idea to build the latex a bit thinner at the beginning, so it is a bit weaker. The latex should expand from front to the end, if all is equal it will expand anywhere...I made that experience....
On my PCH when I tried it first, the bladder expanded first in the middle, therefore it expanded to the front and to the back...and it pushed out the atachment and all...after strengten the atachment, it explode...SO I made the bladder at the beginning just a bit weaker and it started expanding in the fron and went to the back...Do remember this! Or will will have a second try...

:)

Killi101

Post by Killi101 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:57 pm

soakernerd wrote:Candles are thinner on one end than the other. Are you ignoring this or have you found some other type of candle?
My candle is straight, only the acctual end is thinner, but yes i like your idea -G-JiV-, because also it will be easier to clamp. what about the end of the bladder? do i make it thinner there aswell or should it be the strongest point?
Water:
dont like drinking much

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:00 pm

If you really want it to be thin at one end, a tapered candle might work better

Killi101

Post by Killi101 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:23 pm

Im going to trim it my self, here is the candle:
Water:
dont like drinking much

-G-JiV-

Post by -G-JiV- » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:54 am

Killi101 wrote:My candle is straight, only the acctual end is thinner, but yes i like your idea -G-JiV-, because also it will be easier to clamp. what about the end of the bladder? do i make it thinner there aswell or should it be the strongest point?
That is right, build up the bladder at the beginning thin and as far as you go to the end it should get thicker and thicker, and at the end it should be thickest. This will make your gun strong and powerful but you may also know how much water is left because the range will be reduced a bit^^

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:19 am

I don't think you want the thickness to vary too much though. Too big a variation will result in the thinner regions tending to balloon out while the thicker regions don't expand at all.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

-G-JiV-

Post by -G-JiV- » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:41 am

That is right, but I think you will put the bladder into a PVC-pipe, to control the expanding, therefore the bladder will expand until it lies on the PVC everwhere. The vary must not be too much, but it should be a bit thinner at the beginning, so you mark a start for expanding.

Killi101

Post by Killi101 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:36 am

ive trimmed it with a peeler... its much thinner now, i may have distorted the shape slightly but the general shape is good now, its average thickness, 5/8, which is good, i can get a good capacity, its tapered at the end but it is more seemless that the picture above. i know i cant make this with one layer alone so i may get bike tubes to compensate. im making the tubes today wish me luck.
Water:
dont like drinking much

-G-JiV-

Post by -G-JiV- » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:17 am

good luck^^ Looking forward to see the results^^