2010 homemade water gun competition

Community news posted by the SSC staff.
SSCBen

Re: 2010 homemade water gun competition

Post by SSCBen » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:45 pm

I missed the range part. I read your earlier ranges before you improved the nozzle. As I said, I've been busy and haven't been able to look as closely as I would like to. :|

The site's down for the moment. I think we have a page that shows how to use straws to "laminate" the stream better, potentially leading to better range. ;)

As for the primer, there's a reason code requires it. Sandpaper seems to be a somewhat popular alternative, but it's dangerous for the reasons I detailed. What is his justification? I've heard some people who use sandpaper say that it makes the surface rougher so the "PVC glue" sticks better. That shows a misunderstanding about how PVC cement works. PVC cement is a solvent welder. This means that the two pieces are not glued; they become welded together into one piece. The surface roughness is not important as it is with epoxies and other glues.

What you should do to prepare a pipe to be PVC cemented is clear if you read the side of the can. The pipe should be clean, and primer should be used to soften the pipe so that the cement can penetrate further into the material. See this page: http://www.oatey.com/Plumber/FAQ.html#Q01

Depending on how the pipe is stressed, nothing might happen, but why take chances? A small can of primer will last you a long time. It definitely prepares the pipe better than sandpaper.

You'll probably be fine, but in the future, please use primer. :)

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:21 pm

Yeah, I guess I can use primer in the future just for safety. I don't know if I have any though...

Anyway, do you mean the homemade nozzle laminator? That uses straws if I'm not much mistaken. But unless it increases range significantly, then I probably won't bother making one.
Captain of the Catskill Mountain S.E.A.L.s (Soaker Elite Assault Legion.)

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:00 am

Yes, that's what I mean.

It can reduce, maintain, or increase the range. The only real way to know is to try it. If your stream doesn't stay together very well it's more likely to help.

MunkeyB

Post by MunkeyB » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:23 pm

Thank you Guys!

We are very proud of this cannon and it is always Great to hear that other people appreciate it as well.

We have a few more modifications in store so we'll keep you all updated on our progress.

Thanks Again!

~MB