So Guts N Glory is BACK...err, sort of!

Discussion of other water gun websites.
GutsNGlory

So Guts N Glory is BACK...err, sort of!

Post by GutsNGlory » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:15 am

Funny thing...all I did was come back to sell some soakers and look what happens. I get dragged right back in. Not that I'm putting up a fight though! Feels good to be back. This time I think my stay might be a little bit more permanent.

I've read a lot of posts (and mostly complaints) about how GnG was never finished. Honestly I don't know if it ever will be, what with the way my time is taken up now. Life happens to us all! However, in my thought-search for a more manageable project (since I do really enjoy the creation of it), I decided to form a soaker blog...maybe the first? In any case, I think its a good way to ease back in without overloading myself and abandoning it once again. Plus, I think my focus is a little different this time. I really miss not having the history of the past 8-9 years intact, therefore my mission was to provide sort of a 'history book' for the online community, and I think a blog is a great way to do that - you can easily post the latest news, it keeps track of dates, and I'm pretty sure you can archive the old info. Right up my alley, in addition to providing my own musings on the community in general.

Also of interest is to get some kind of soaker web developer's network going. I have very fond memories of the camraderie I had with fellow webmasters, many of whom I never had the pleasure of meeting. It offered great encouragement and excellent feedback, plus it could be a nice resource for new webmasters who are just getting their page online. Its always good to feel like you're a part of something. If there is any interest among webmasters/former webmasters/up-and-coming webmasters, I'd love to hear from you.

I'd also love to see some chats going. I know that's hard when you are working with a community that sometimes feels like 5 people haha, but hey! Those were some of my best memories...shootin the breeze talking with others in the Aquatica chat. It would require quite a bit of planning and organization, but it could happen, especially if certain times were established.

That's all I've got for now, and trust me thats enough. Without further ado, here's the new home:

http://gngww.blogspot.com/

It still needs some work, especially with the links on the right hand side...which makes me wonder what links I'm even going to put there. Should I try and resurrect certain parts of GnG and link to them? I dunno. In any case, if you have any questions for me, just email me - it would be a whole lot easier and I'll check it more than any questions posted on this site - screamtheword@gmail.com

Thanks all. Feels good to be back, and, kinda weird too. haha

C-A_99

Re: So Guts N Glory is BACK...err, sort of!

Post by C-A_99 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:13 pm

Most of the history of the past 8-9 years is quite different than of the CPS age as you probably know. SS degenerated but still made a few useful blasters, Buzz Bee Toys emerged with the Water Warriors line (but hasn't made any CPS-rivaling blasters until just recently) and virtually all water weapon development has been going on in modifications, homemades, and repairs during the time period. Water warfare tactics, games, and philosophy has developed quite considerably as well, mostly to the work of DX.

GnG may be nostalgic for many to view, and gives a good picture of the times, but I would guess that much of it is outdated and less applicable to current water wars. That said, I haven't seen the site in quite a while. Actually, I didn't even get into water warfare and join the community until 2006 in the middle of iSoaker's ikonboard days.

DX's group, the Ridgewood Militia and Waterbridge (the team they fought) would be the last known groups to play hardcore. He could tell you about it far better than anyone else could, but since then I don't know of any groups who consistently fought in the woods, used large scale military tactics, camoflauge, etc. I personally run my water wars like parties and video games; short, fun, organized games in small areas. It's unfortunate that the cover in our area is sparse, but some intense games have taken place nonetheless. I don't think most people who I war with would enjoy long hikes in the woods though, and have to deal with insects, difficult environments to run through, etc. Water blasters' short ranges make most woodsfighting difficult because the leaves block streams but you can still see players through them.

Of course, some things never change. The CPS line remains the primary choice for any half-serious water warrior for their sheer ability to get the job done. The k-modded spherical CPS blaster is still a staple for most armories, as well as 2500's and other high end blasters.

So, welcome back I guess?

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:43 am

Welcome back, the blog looks cool, and I've subscribed. :)

GutsNGlory

Post by GutsNGlory » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:50 am

heh heh, thanks!

I realized I'm a little outdated, but again, I don't think the idea was necessarily to compete with all the other website out there, but more about just being an active member of the community and assist others, especially newer webmasters. The blog gives me an easy way to do that and also can create some interaction right there on the main page.

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:51 am

Yeah, it's a great idea. It should less formal and less stagnant than what's currently online.

There's not much else for me to say, but I feel bad writing one-liners in response to your energetic thread. Anyway, I'm glad you're back! :)

GutsNGlory

Post by GutsNGlory » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:57 am

Heh, no worries. Its a big plus anyone is responding at all!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:31 pm

I posted on the blog regarding the community hub. There's not much going on now though and I still don't know what will happen; no one really does at this moment even though it's been almost a year since the complete migration to WWc was brought up..

GutsNGlory

Post by GutsNGlory » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:02 am

C-A,

cool thanks for posting. I guess we'll wait and see what happens. I'm not the one making the decisions, but I do know that it was brought up last year that the switch should be made in the off-season...course that was 2009 I believe.

For it to be successful, the other forums would probably have to close down so that people have to be forced, in a sense, to post somewhere else. Also, I noticed a post where someone remarked that it needs to be advertised much more heavily to people to notice it, like on the front page kinda thing.

Fredcompany

Post by Fredcompany » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:10 pm

I'm following you...
That sounds a bit weird...lol
I'm a dude

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:18 am

Welcome back.

I'm going to try to respond to a bunch of different things you've brought up GutsNGlory. Not all of them were mentioned here. ;)

I like the blog, and while it's not the first, it could be the first active one.

As for the sidebar links, I think the easiest thing to do would be to make a few blog posts that link to old GnG pages. Your page about modifications for example could link to pages from the newer and older version of GnG. This would be very helpful to people and not hard to make.

C-A_99 has offered a good summary of what's happened since your disappearance.

Now onto the topic of WWc... I'd like to move the community there. I'm at the point in my life where I will eventually disappear for months to years due to obligations beyond my control. Basically, I realize that I won't always be present. And as you're aware, we're a small community, so any consolidation would be helpful.

When I mentioned the move earlier, many people were resistant. I think we'll shut down this forum and move this winter regardless of what people think. It's for the good of the community; this I think most anyone who's been around for a while realizes. If you'll be around GutsNGlory, we'd appreciate your help. We'll need people to help with the transition.

Also, you mention the idea of "Aquatica 2.0". The funny thing is that there was a lot of discussion about precisely that a number of years back. See this thread: http://www.isoaker.net/isnet/topic1828.html

From what I understand, iSoaker doesn't really want to revisit the name. So that puts an end to any Aquatica revival. WWc is the most straightforward path.

Also, I have copies of all the posts at the Aquatica Yahoo Club in mbox format. Most email programs can read this. Email me if you want a copy. :)

GutsNGlory

Post by GutsNGlory » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:07 am

Oh heck yeah I'd love a copy of those posts from Aquatica! Thank you very much, that is most appreciated. Email is screamtheword@gmail.com

Thanks again.

I can understand why people have certain feelings, either good, or bad, with the 'Aquatica' name. And really, the name is kinda meaningless (unless its horrible heh) so WWc should do just fine. I think as long as it is a dedicated move, people would relocate. I would just keep in mind anything you can do to keep it self sufficient, making absences easier. Things like:

Selecting moderators who can maintain the site
appropriate spam/hack countermeasures
etc etc

It means you not having to get drawn back in to deal with some issue.

Someone did mention that it will need to be advertised, and I agree. Creating banners, having a cool countdown...maybe even a 'grand opening' type on online party/chat the night of the switch, that could be cool.

I can help however I need to, but I'll confess my web skills are terrible, so I don't know if there is a whole lot of technical help I can provide. I can tell people to get their butts over there :D

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:33 am

Bear in mind when considering moving that Super Soaker Central turns up on the top page of a google search for "Super Soaker", and on the second page for "water gun". If you move the new site doesn't have that.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:38 am

Hmm, very important consideration there. WWc lacks the connections and establishment that both iSc/iSn and SSC have.

GutsNGlory

Post by GutsNGlory » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:56 am

There are ways to change that, but I am unsure on how much work/time/money might have to go into it to achieve the same results.

What was the initial reason for the creation of WWc and wanting to move?

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:56 pm

Great to see GNG back again in a new form! :cool:

As for the whole community thing, if someone wants to build a new "Aquatica" or make an "Aquatica 2.0", I'm all for it. My previous reservations about re-using that name have gone. :p

That said, though, I've now also grown to the current conclusion about not needing to consolidate the community. If the community wishes to consolidate, it will do so naturally. However, as there are so many different views and preferences not just on forum topics, but also in how forums look and "feel", trying to make everyone fit into a single place is not as important as building a place where its members love being and posting there. If one tries to please everyone, in most cases, one ends up truly only pleasing very few. Many members love being and posting at SSC and so long as there are those able to oversee this community, I don't see a need to make those who prefer this place to move to another board. Of course, if WWc is revived or a new board is created altogether, if it ends up attracting members from here or the presently scaled back iSn, that's great, too! Better yet, if a new board attracts more from beyond the existing forums, even better!

In the end, we, as a community, shouldn't worry so much about forum reshuffling or whether or not to create a new community/merge/etc. Our goal should always be simply to make the best community/communities we can to cater to all aspects of the water warfare world.

As for what to do, if you think the community would be served best by trying to create a new board, go for it! If you think the community would benefit most from building up an existing board, help develop a current board. No one really knows what is best until it is tried. The only thing that cannot be done is to get members to leave a community that is still open; individuals always have the right to choose where they prefer to post; individuals can only be stopped from posting if a forum closes, but closing a forum does not guarantee they will move to another.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::