Serach Mod per name of gun

Suggestions, comments, questions, and developments related to the Super Soaker Central site and forums.
BobyKiller

Search Mod per name of gun

Post by BobyKiller » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:49 pm

You should do a section with all the guns, and when you click on the name of the gun, it shows you a page with all the mods that you can do to that specific gun. That new section would be used by noobs like me... So instead of asking a dumb question on the forum like : What mod can i do to X gun?, the guy (or girl) would simply go there.

Thanks for reading
Hope you enjoy

BobyKiller
Last edited by SSCBen on Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fredcompany

Re: Serach Mod per name of gun

Post by Fredcompany » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:09 pm

1. The problem is that it would take a very long time to do that, because some mods have not been done on some guns, and these would need to be tested.
2. It would take up quite a bit of space, which may or may not be a problem.
3. People might still post on the forums and waste time by asking for exactly what is in the section.
I'm a dude

BobyKiller

Post by BobyKiller » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:12 pm

Yah your maybe right I didn't tough about that...
If I make mistakes in english, please say it to me... I am only a poor french guy from Quebec...

Thanks

Fredcompany

Post by Fredcompany » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:14 pm

it would still be useful though
I'm a dude

BobyKiller

Post by BobyKiller » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:17 pm

The moderator (and founder) should decide...
If I make mistakes in english, please say it to me... I am only a poor french guy from Quebec...

Thanks

Fredcompany

Post by Fredcompany » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:18 pm

Yeah maybe you should email the idea to Ben
I'm a dude

BobyKiller

Post by BobyKiller » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:20 pm

Ok I'll do it right now! and thanks for the help in the other post :P

Thanks

Fredcompany

Post by Fredcompany » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:24 pm

That's why I'm here
I'm a dude

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:26 pm

What mods are possible depend on what technology the blaster uses.

Generally:

Nozzle mods - do to any blaster.
PRV (pressure relief valve) disabling - do to PR (pressurised reservoir) and separate air PC blasters. Do to CPS blasters only in conjunction with a heavy kmod or colossus.
Reservoir expansion, backpack attachment - do separate PC (air or CPS) blasters. Possible but much harder for PR blasters.
K-mod - do to spherical CPS blasters.
Colossus - do to cylindrical CPS blasters.
XPS mod - do to separate air PC blasters.
Integration/pressure chamber replacement - do to separate PC blasters.
PC expansion - do to CPS blasters.
Strengthening/reliability mods - do to any blaster.
Compactness/shape change mods - do to any blaster though some won't work so well.
Quick filling mods - do to any blaster.
De-Max-D-ing - do to Max-D trigger (clicky triggered Super Soakers) blasters.
Motorisation - do to any blaster.

Note that a few of these (quick filling, motorisation) have very rarely if ever been done. Also, I've ignored piston and squirt guns.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

BobyKiller

Post by BobyKiller » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:29 pm

Ok thanks for all this information... but it should be listed somewhere as you just say it to me so people would be able to search for there answer by there own...

Thanks

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:31 pm

We have a lengthy modifications FAQ here: http://www.sscentral.org/mods/faq.html
but perhaps we could add a refined version of the above. Maybe linking to isoaker's lists of the relevant blaster types.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

BobyKiller

Post by BobyKiller » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:40 pm

Yah maybe...

Thanks

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:06 pm

Actually, I correct myself, the matter is already in the FAQ.
Arsenal:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:27 pm

Don't email me stuff like this as we have other administrators who can handle it. :)

Perhaps you had not noticed that we list possible modifications in our reviews at the bottom right.

We address this in our FAQ: http://www.sscentral.org/mods/faq.html#28

On the modifications page, a column in the table tells which classes of water guns apply to the listed modifications.

I also think what modifications can be done to a certain blaster are clear when one understands how the blaster works and what the modification does. If this is unclear to you, do some more reading. Based on what I've read from you BobyKiller, this would be my first suggestion. ;)

So, this information is available, but perhaps it's not explicit enough.

Also, just because you can modify a water gun doesn't mean that you should. Some modifications will likely break your water gun unless you have a very good idea of what you are doing. A "heavy" K-mod with a disabled pressure relief valve on a CPS 2700 is a good example. This combination of modifications almost certainly will break the firing valve of the CPS 2700.

Additionally, some people have very unrealistic expectations about what they can get out of a modification. I'll use an analogy I've used before: You can't upgrade a tricycle to perform like a monster truck. At that point, it'd be way easier to ignore the tricycle altogether and make your own monster truck (i.e. make a homemade water gun). You've asked what modifications can be done to an XP 20. There certainly are some you can do, but none of them will have any serious impact on performance, and if they do, it's more likely than not a negative impact. So it's not worthwhile to modify a water gun like the XP 20.

BobyKiller

Post by BobyKiller » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:43 pm

Ok I understand I'm very sorry of making you lose your time... But for the xp20 I was just wondering because it is so little that I was like : Is it possible to mod something little like that?

So very sorry again...