Super Soaker Mod Questions

Threads about water gun modifications.
TheDark

Super Soaker Mod Questions

Post by TheDark » Sat May 29, 2010 12:19 pm

Hi, I'm new to modifying Super Soakers. I have a Flash Flood and I might get a Shot Blast. I want to know which is better to modify and if I can get a blast of water as big as the Flash Flood's if I mod the Shot Blast. Also, how would I have to modify them? Thanks!

cantab

Re: Super Soaker Mod Questions

Post by cantab » Sat May 29, 2010 1:45 pm

I wouldn't bother with the Shot Blast, it's not up to much and unlikely to have much modding potential. The Flash Flood, on the other hand, can have a range of modifcations done.

For the Flash Flood, you might:

Drill the stream nozzle to make it bigger. Be careful because that's 'non reversible', whereas many other mods can be undone.
Attach a smaller nozzle to the flood opening, to get a concentrated stream rather than the shotgun blast.
Colossus the pressure chamber, increasing power.
Expand the pressure chamber, increasing shot time but making the gun a bit bigger.
Expand the reservoir so it holds more water (but the Flash Flood can have a backpack fitted anyway).
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

TheDark

Post by TheDark » Sat May 29, 2010 1:50 pm

Thanks. Also, would an Arctic Blast, or any other current super soaker be better than the Flash Flood? Are there any tutorials on this forum for the mods?

TheDark

Post by TheDark » Sat May 29, 2010 2:19 pm

Also, my goal is not range, but power. If I would mod the Shot Blast, and drill the nozzle, would the blast be similar to that of the flood on the FF? Thanks!!

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sat May 29, 2010 7:22 pm

There really isn't anything mod-able on the Shot Blast, unless you can find a perfectly sized stronger spring, open up the PC, and replace the spring. And that might not even work because who knows how many random mechanical parts might break or be connected to the spring somehow. The Flash Flood is much, much more mod-friendly. And the Arctic Blast is basically a slightly smaller Flash Flood, so it's just as mod-friendly. Also, range=power, usually.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat May 29, 2010 7:29 pm

Please use edit instead of double posting, thanks.

The Shot Blast is weak and there is no way you'll ever get it anywhere near the power of the FF. (Well there may be, but you're basically re-doing the whole gun.) It is also expensive and IMO, a waste of money. The Shot Blast has much more modding potential as a Nerf gun than as a water gun, which says a lot about the new Super Soakers.

Go for at least the FF. I'd recommend more larger blasters; the Vindicator appears to have good modding potential. (but this has not been done yet, so I don't know if I can advise doing so.)

Back to the FF, drilling the main nozzle (which can be undone by replacing the nozzle, but is troublesome) as well as removing the FF screen are the most common modifications. Attaching a smaller nozzle to the FF is also possible but if you do that you may want to keep the stream to help with lamination.

TheDark

Post by TheDark » Sat May 29, 2010 7:40 pm

Sorry about the double post, and thank you all for the help. I have bicycle tubes, and I want to do the colossous, basically that's just putting stretched bicycle tubes around part of the inside of the gun, right? And that would impact both of the 2 nozzles on the FF? Also, can I simply drill the screen out? Thanks!!!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat May 29, 2010 8:51 pm

The screen can be removed with flatheaded screwdrivers and a little pushing. Just make sure the screen comes out cleanly and no remaining pieces sit around; i.e. don't let any parts of the screen rip out, just loosen the plastic's grip on it so it can be removed. You don't want any pieces of the screen to stick around and risk falling into the PC.

There are several ways to colossus. Bike tubes are a common item used, but they are slightly curved so you'll have to be careful working with them. LRT (latex rubber tubing) sold mostly from online plumbing store McMaster Carr, but may also be around hardware stores, is generally a better choice for the colossus. Finally, craft balloons, the ones shaped long, may also be good for a colossus mod. They would seem to be the easiest to use but I don't think anyone has done so yet.

TheDark

Post by TheDark » Sat May 29, 2010 9:34 pm

How would removing the screen affect performance? Thanks!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat May 29, 2010 10:30 pm

If you don't add on a smaller nozzle for the flood, removing the screen will improve the flood's performance. However, you'll want to keep it intact if you want a nozzle that will focus the flood into a large stream.

TheDark

Post by TheDark » Sun May 30, 2010 2:20 am

Thank you! One more question: Will a Colossus modification change tje number of pumps required to prime the blaster?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun May 30, 2010 3:09 am

The Colossus modification could change the number of pumps to fully charge the blaster. Extra rubber takes up space that used to be taken up by water. The degree of reduction in capacity (and by extension, number of pumps) depends completely on the thickness of the modification.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun May 30, 2010 2:01 pm

TheDark wrote:Thanks. Also, would an Arctic Blast, or any other current super soaker be better than the Flash Flood?
The Flash Flood is generally considered a bit better than the Arctic Blast. IIRC the FF has a bigger pressure chamber.

No current Super Soaker will be better. The current line of Water Warriors, however, includes some great blasters.

I would be wary of removing the screen from the Flash Flood, since to my mind it's there to stop debris getting inside the blaster.

Collossusing it would increase the power of both nozzles, though I'm not sure by how much.

Collossus does reduce the pressure chamber capacity, being as how it makes the rubber thicker. So you'd need fewer pumps to fill it, but then less time shooting to empty it.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun May 30, 2010 5:33 pm

Removing the screen on the FF is pretty common and I think it should be fine as long as you don't lend it to careless friends who will slug the blaster through dirt. It all depends on what you'll do with the blaster.

The capacity reduction on a colossus should only be slight. PC expansions are usually recommended with the colossus, or so it seems. Both modifications are somewhat time consuming but should make the FF more capable of fighting CPS level blasters. I don't know how well it works and I don't have the materials for a colossus, so I never bothered with such FF mods.

TheDark

Post by TheDark » Sun May 30, 2010 6:33 pm

Thanks. Right now I probably will just colossus and make the main nozzle a tad larger. I might do a PC expansion later. How many layers of bicycle tube do you reccomend on the FF, one, or two? Thanks.