Pressure Gauge Problem

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
SeanArgus

Pressure Gauge Problem

Post by SeanArgus » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:42 am

The other day I discovered a CPS 2500 (mkII I think) on the curb with some junk a family left while moving out.

It looked fairly worn, the trigger was broken & it smelled like a fish tank.
I took it home, cleaned it up, used the wire trigger tutorial from this site (slightly changed to my liking), filled it up and it pumped/shot just fine.
(first picture is showing the full handle wire trigger)

Upon closer examination I discovered the pressure gauge wouldn't go below a little under 1/2. It would still pump up to 'full' and shoot, but would only return to 1/2 after a full discharge.
(second picture shows the pressure gauge when it's completely discharged and empty)

Is there any way to correct this gauge or is there something I can do to recover the full pressure?
Attachments
DSC01238.JPG
DSC01236.JPG

C-A_99

Re: Pressure Gauge Problem

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:01 am

My guess is that the bladder is pretty worn and was slightly overstretched and thus is not contracting to its original position. If that's the case, then you'll have to replace the bladder. (This can be done with LRT - latex rubber tubing, which can be found from McMaster Carr. I'm not sure on the tube thicknesses needed so you'll have to measure around.

However, it's best to first verify that this is the case. I can't see how it'd be any other way but it's best to be sure that it's not.

SeanArgus

Post by SeanArgus » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:00 am

Yeah the bladder has been over stretched. No rips or leaks thankfully.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:47 am

I don't have terribly much experience with LRT; it seems that to achieve a tube of CPS 2500 power, you'll need tons of layering. Some others may be able to help you here.

Before choosing tubes though, you may want to get the PC case open. The Colossus Modification Article tells you how to do this. Be sure the cut is made where it isn't visible when the blaster is assembled. After that, you'll need to remove the back clamp to measure the ID of the tube.

On the other hand, if the current CPS 2500 bladder performs decently and can still expel a decent payload, you may not absolutely need to replace it.

Now I see why they reduced the bladder stretch considerably on the MK II. (The second mark of the CPS 2500; the MK I's bladder was smaller but allowed to expand as far as the MK II's. This meant more water could be expelled at once but also at the expense of wearing out the tube faster.)
Last edited by C-A_99 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SeanArgus

Post by SeanArgus » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:17 am

I think I'll try the colossus mod once I get the materials. The soaker is nice right now but could have a but more 'omph' in it's shots.
Also it's range is only maybe 30ft so it could use some extra range at that.

Thanks for all the tips and help!
I'll be sure to post updates when I start working on it.
Last edited by SeanArgus on Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:29 am

That range is pretty poor. The CPS 2000 should do fifty feet (angled).
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:06 pm

I'm not a big fan of the traditional colossus using bike tubes because the tubes are curved. A colossus with LRT or with craft balloons would be ideal, but your base PC is damaged and I'd advise replacing it completely. You may be able to use craft balloons instead of extra LRT layers to get back to the CPS 2500's original power level. Extra LRT will be expensive, but you'll need something to layer over the base layer since one LRT tube alone is not powerful enough to really do anything.
Last edited by C-A_99 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:11 pm

I thought it was supposed to be at about half when empty because of dead space.

Don't you mean 2500?

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:52 pm

^ What? I don't know what you're talking about. (Yeah, sorry about that haha.)

SeanArgus

Post by SeanArgus » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:14 pm

I don't believe I'll have the money for a LRT tubing set up right now.
I might just stick with the bike tubing and layer it up a few times. If anything it'll keep the current bladder from possibly ripping while giving me just a little bit more pressure.

I'll definitely try LRT when I have the means to. I know the current bladder won't last forever.