Updating FAQ's

Suggestions, comments, questions, and developments related to the Super Soaker Central site and forums.
C-A_99

Updating FAQ's

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:54 pm

I'm going to list some FAQ's that may be a good idea to update/edit. Perhaps next time SSC material is gone over (for whatever reason, be it correcting typos, etc.) these can be added in as I feel they are important enough to be worth mentioning to the new user who comes across them.

http://www.sscentral.org/faq/general.html#39 (Other gear to bring to a war other than blaster) should probably make note of other war equipment like water balloons, refill bottles, towels, etc. Bottles for refilling (not drinking) are crucial to the success of many teams.

http://www.sscentral.org/homemade/materials_faq.html#2 (Question on ABS pipe) does not account for different regions where PVC is not available. (though this may not really be a big deal)

http://www.sscentral.org/homemade/aph_faq.html#7 (Backpacks): Having a link to the article on building baqckpacks would be helpful.

http://www.sscentral.org/mods/faq.html#9 (Straps): I should note that you can easily build a strap from ACE since usually you won't randomly come accross a strap everytime you need one. Here are the parts needed:

Ties from water gun boxes: The metal wire in plastic that BBT uses works well for this, and can be used to create hooks for the straps. Cable ties also work.

Strap: Sold by the foot; get 4ft or more for best results.

Two strap adjusters: I don't have the proper name for this, but they are needed to hold the strap to the hooks. It's a good idea to use a hair dryer or something to heat up the ends after the adjusters have been added so that they do not split up and become a mess.

Hooks: There are several solutions for hooks. Keychain holders/hooks that can be opened by merely pressing a metal bar work well for this but may be expensive. I went with two large keychain rings and two small hooks that allow the strap to be as easily removed from the gun as any other strap. (it was the cheapest option I could find but since I don't know the exact parts, you'll have to go to the hardware store and find them by yourself; most people there may not be able to help)

This may be a somewhat costly solution, possibly totaling to over $7 per strap. A better alternative may be to just buy the Super Soaker straps (if they're still available, or see if BBT will be willing to sell any) and to replace the plastic hooks when they break.

Overall, the straps FAQ could have a bit more information to help. I think a straps section should be added to the accessories page. http://www.sscentral.org/mods/accessory.html

http://www.sscentral.org/tactics/faq.html#24 (Rules of refilling): Most find the opposite to be true: most groups (that aren't just kids running around the backyard but actually in a serious water war) allow people to get soaked while refilling. Restricting attacks on those refilling simply takes away a crucial strategic component of water warfare. (plus someone can bend the rules and attack while refilling since most blasters permit it or if they have another soaker)

http://www.sscentral.org/tactics/faq.html#26 (Training): I'd at least suggest getting in shape. That's the best type of training and goes hand in hand with situational awareness; the sense of what to do.

http://www.sscentral.org/tactics/faq.html#17 (Weaon balance): This is probably not worth adding, but still worth mentioning. I have done wars that restrict the use of weaponry to lower ranged and lower powered soakers; generally any stream larger than 2x or 3x is not allowed. This is just a game rule and doesn't have to apply all the time but can be done to mix things up a little.

martianshark

Re: Updating FAQ's

Post by martianshark » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:15 pm

Isn't it possible for you to add them since your an administrator?

A question that should be updated:
Should my gun have four pressure chambers and ball valves between each chamber so that I can control how much water can be used a once?

This has been tried before with limited success. The dividing ball valves were designed make a multi-shot APH, but the performance suffered overall.
It should mention that if there is a ball valve right next to the PC, it should work.

Like this:
Note: the bottom ball valve is for filling because this is really a PRH.
Last edited by martianshark on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm

C-A_99, let me know if you want access to the site administration. I don't have the time to make all the edits I want to, but if you do, that would really help.

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:45 pm

Which statistic is the most important during a battle?
The best performance statistic many times is opinion. Most people consider range to be the most important because if users can't hit their targets, they are just wasting water. However, without sufficient output all of the range in the world can't get anyone wet. Shot time also is important because without a long enough shot time, users have to recharge often. In short, all three are important.
The first sentence there is awkwardly worded. I would suggest something more along the lines of:
The most important statistic is a matter of opinion. some prefer....

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:18 am

I'll be glad to help edit up the articles. WWc and it's wiki seem to be good approaches to manage this issue but of course we still may not be able to make the move.

As far as I'm concerned, range is the most important statistic. Good range almost automatically means good output and power unless we're talking about launchers, but that dodges the question and isn't relevant. But living proof of range being most important statistic is in the gun's nozzle selection. How often do you see someone who favors having a riot blast without having a ranged nozzle option? It's a reason that the XP310 nozzle removal was not very popular, though the addition of the fact that the XP310's shotgun blast only got squirt gun range would also explain it.

But of course, that's still an opinion, as close as it may be to fact. Thus the only edit I'll make to that page is what soakernerd suggested and one minor but important mention: that more range automatically means more output and thus, overall soakage. Increasing other factors does not necessarily increase range; example is a bucket attack which has more output than the SCII (over 1 full gallon in less than a second) but less range than a squirt gun. While the example detracts from water blasters, it gives the point that you can achieve high output with a big nozzle and a big, but nearly powerless PC.
Last edited by C-A_99 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:43 am

C-A_99, use this tool and PM me the output. For example, it could return test:lQeKGl9L6sH3M. The text to the left of the colon is the username and the text to the right of the colon is the password. The password is encrypted.

After this I'll PM you the link to the website administration and give you a brief overview. I think Silence wrote an overview of the administration in the development forum, but I can't seem to find it.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:17 pm

Can I buy a homemade water gun? Does Super Soaker Central sell homemade water guns?
We sell homemade water guns through the SSC store.
This one should be deleted entirely.
How can I remove discoloration?
Discoloration due to sun bleaching cannot be removed. Discoloration from dirt or stains can possibly be removed through thorough cleaning.
This should probably note that you could repaint your water gun.
What extra gear other than a gun should I bring to battle?
Many things are useful during, before, and after a good water battle: water bottles for both drinking and filling, pocket knifes for quick repairs, first aid kits for injuries, duct tape for repairs, goggles for eye protection, rope or string to tie things together, and food for consumption.
This should include a link to the gear article.
What is the best way to fill a water balloon?
Custom water balloon filling attachments for your hose work extremely well in filling many water balloons in a short amount of time.
I actually prefer using a syringe gun over a hose. I find it faster and easier.
What soakers can fit in someone's pockets?
The XP 215 is very small. It can easily fit inside someone's pockets. It is the smallest air pressure Super Soaker.
This should probably list some other small water guns such as the Stingray, Deluge, small SS pistols, and keychain blasters.

By the way, the FAQ said something about someone getting hit by a 100x blast. I want to know more about that.
Last edited by martianshark on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:34 pm

I did some updates to the General FAQ but currently don't have time to work on the other ones. If I made any messes on the editing, let me know but the page looks good so far.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:17 am

Can I use balloons for a Colossus?
No.
But you can use modeling balloons for a colosus. I've heard some people have done it.

Error!
What does a K-mod do?
Colossus layers balloons over the CPS bladder in spherical PC (pressure chamber) water guns such as the CPS 2100 and CPS 1500. This increases the thickness of the rubber bladder, increasing pressure and therefore improving performance.
Another error!
Is it called the check valve or pressure-release valve or pressure-relief valve?

(no answer)
In the XPS section, it should tell what the heck an XPS is. Even I don't know.
How well would baking soda and vinegar power a water gun?
We do not know; but we do know the mess it would make and the hassle it would be to clean up and deal with. Stick with conventional metohds.

How well would Diet Coke and Mentos power a water gun?
We do not know; but we do know the mess it would make and the hassle it would be to clean up and deal with. Stick with conventional metohds.
This could be possible if the pressure from the mentos or whatever was seperated from the water by a piston.
What should I do for training?
At this moment we have no information on this.
I think I'll start a topic on that.
Last edited by martianshark on Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:49 am

XPS = eXperimental Pressure System. The idea was to place balloons inside the PC of an air pressure gun, giving it CPS power. while it may be usable, on air pressure guns, whch typically have small tubing, it is not worth the time or effort.
As for mentos, they don't generate as much pressure as air, they cost money, and they are a hassle to get into the chamber without starting the reaction. They also wouldn't work for an SC type design because the reaction fizzles out pretty quickly.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:07 am

My idea was to make a Supercannon, but it's powered by Mentos instead of air. A small system of pipes and valves would seperate the soda and Mentos until a ball valve was opened, releasing the Mentos into a soda-filled chamber.

What does SC have to do with this particular design? SC is powered by a hose, not by mentos, so of course it wouldn't work.

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:14 pm

SC is my abbreviation for Supercannon type designs. we really need a designation for that type. I suggest air piston.

DX

Post by DX » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:44 pm

Water cannon is the designation for those. SC usually refers to super chargers.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:04 pm

I think the thing with XPS is that even a thin membrane, not contributing much power, will provide you with any-angle firing.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:41 am

I think Supercannon is a little confusing as the original did not have a piston. I wanted a bad-ass sounding name. I like soakernerd's suggestion of air piston.

The XPS modification put balloons in the pressure chamber as soakernerd stated. Reportedly, this made performance more constant. It also allowed one to shoot an XP gun at any angle. I think there used to be another term that distinguished one or two balloons in the pressure chamber from 10 or more as one or two balloons only allow you to shoot at any angle. I can not remember that term.

People had unrealistic expectations about the modification. Many seemed to expect their gun to perform the same as the CPS series after this modification. Others went further and claimed that it in combination with other modifications like "rifling" could allow XPs to shoot 70 feet. That claim was untrue.

As the modification doesn't do much, we removed it. We did a sloppy job as the FAQ still had parts concerning it.