Water Balloon Pirate Canon

Threads related to water balloon launchers.
cantab

Re: Water Balloon Pirate Canon

Post by cantab » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:00 pm

Looks pretty impressive.
Is any part of the outer shell holding pressure? It doesn't appear like it. So you could use lighter PVC for it, saving a lot on both cost and weight. There doesn't seem to be any technological need for the shell (except maybe keeping water off the electrics, but you could use a less than full length cover for that), so I presume it's just to make the thing look beefier.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

VAJMH

Post by VAJMH » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:14 am

I know nothing about this high technical stuff....

But what I would like to know is where is this happening? It has to be California. I dont think they allow stuff that awesome outside of California.

Which brings me to my second question: Can I join your crew? My hobbies include plundering and drinking!
Personal Collection: Monster X, Monster XL, Helix, Triple Shot, Aquapack Devastator, Liquidator, Arctic Shock, Shot Blast, Splazhzooka
Super Soaker 20, 25, 30, 40, 50, 60, 100, 200, MDS, Bow & Arrow
XP 20, 35, 55, 70, 75, 85, 105, 110, 150, 175, 250, 270, 275, 310
CPS 1000, 1200, 1350(1-3-5), 1500, 2000, 2100, 2500, 2700, 3000, 4100

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:00 pm

The shell will make the cannon look more authentic, but you could just make it out of drain pipe or another, much thinner and cheaper pipe then PVC. If you want another layer of protection, you should wrap the tank in chicken wire, and possibly enclose it in a steel container. That is only if you use something other than a SCUBA tank or high pressure rated PVC. BTW, are your paintball tanks aluminum? You might want to check how big they are, they could be useful for smaller cannons mounted on the forecastle.
-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

MunkeyB

Post by MunkeyB » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:27 pm

cantab,
The outer shell is just to make the cannon look more authentic and to give me a surface to do some custom painting and detailing.We'll probably fill the area between the barrel and the shell with spray foam to keep the insides from moving.

VAJMH,
The Event is held in Rock Hall, MD. It's a REALLY small town that is overrun by pirates the 2nd weekend in August each year. Here's a link to the site:

http://www.rockhallpirates.com/

zeda.beta,
Yes I believe the paintball tanks are aluminum. I'll have to pull them out of storage and take a look.

You guys are right. Since the outer shell is not holding any pressure I think I'll look into some other materials that well look more authentic. I know the tanks are quite light. Consider all the jumping and running we have to do while maneuvering our guns.

Thank you all

~MB

MunkeyB

Post by MunkeyB » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:56 pm

OK Guys the construction has begun. We're taking our time on this because we want to make sure we get everything right.

With that in mind I have a question. We're looking to mount a gauge on the outside of the shell with a stem long enough to tell us the pressure of the Pressure chamber. Can you guys point me in the right direction for the gauge I should buy.

And do you have any tips for mounting it with a longer stem?

Thanks Again for your help

~MB

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:50 pm

Any gauge with the NPT threading system (the threading pretty much every pipe/adapter you buy will use) should do the job. Given you're using fairly low pressures common to launchers (no more than 100-120 PSI), the average gauge you find should be good. You'll have to design it around the case so that the gauge sticks out at a good place where it can be read with relative ease and won't get damaged easily.

MunkeyB

Post by MunkeyB » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:21 pm

Well the valves have arrived, the regulators and gauges have been ordered, and the PVC tubes have been cut.

My partner in crime happened upon a few blocks of PVC and since he has access to a computerized machining shop he had the piston machined to the exact shape of the inside of the PVC pipe.

We were unaware before but have since learned that because the way PVC pipes are made they are never perfectly round.

More updates as we continue the process.

~MB

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:29 am

Wow, what a cannon! I had no idea you could build a WBL to look like a cannon.

Great design, MunkeyB! Good luck on building.
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

MunkeyB

Post by MunkeyB » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Hey Guys!

Could use a bit of help here. Since you all have done this before. I need to go from 3" PVC to a 3/4" Thread. What's the best way to do that? Is there an adapter that goes right into it or do i need a series of adapters. I'm trying to conserve space as well as ensure a secure construction. (Pics or Links would be REALLY HELPFUL)

Thank you all

~MB

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:47 pm

Try FlexPVC.
they have everything

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:43 pm

You will need at least two adapters. One of them takes 3" to 2" or 1 1/2", and the other takes 2" or 1 1/2" to 3/4" threaded. One thing to look at is to try to get pressure rated fittings. Usually, only bushings are pressure rated, which are cylinder-shaped fittings without any tapering. Another cylinder-shaped fitting, the coupler, is needed to attach the bushing to the pipe. Reducers with tapering are not rated for pressure and fit directly onto the pipe.

That said, non-rated reducer fittings have been used numerous times for pressure tanks in previous water balloon launchers. I use them myself and they haven't had any problems, but if you can access the bushings, they'll be better.

For most fittings 2" and below, they are all pressure rated except for a few at some Home Depots, which are non-rated reducers.

MunkeyB

Post by MunkeyB » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks for your help Guys!

I emailed the guys at FlexPVC and they have a 3" to 3/4" thread, pressure rated adapter. They will be adding it to their site today so that I can order a few.

Thanks again

~MB

MunkeyB

Post by MunkeyB » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:17 pm

Hey Everyone!
So I haven't posted anything in a while but my life has been turned upside down lately. I just wanted to let you know that although this project did take a back burner for a bit we have begun production on the cannons.

Here's a few pictures of what we have so far. Basically it will be a chassis mounted Douchenator with a sabot system and electronic firing switch. (As diagramed in my previous post.

Here is a pick of the sabot.

This was machined from a block of PVC to fit PERFECTLY inside the barrel:

We put a metal anchor inside to tether the sabot to the cannon. (Don't want to be firing a solid chunk of PVC at someone. The PVC itself is VERY light but the anchor does add a few extra ounces of weight. We also added a layer or epoxy to the top to cushion the "push" of our ammo.

The pieces for the pressure chamber and barrel have also been cut but when added to the valve the whole assembly measures in at 5 feet 2 and a quarter inches. (The same EXACT height as my wife. LOL)

We are working on cutting down the size just a bit. I'd like to shave somewhere around 6 to 8 inches off.

The other issue we're trying to figure out is filling the pressure chamber. Since we're looking at adding a constant source of air thru a valve and regulator I'd like to go with something more sturdy then a schrader valve (tire fill valve). A hose or connection permanently attached to the PC would work but we're not sure how to do it just yet.

More info as we more along here.

~MB

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:24 pm

The sabot looks very nice, but it might end up increasing the acceleration put on the balloon.

And to the PC question, you could probably get away with using a flow valve and a pressure gauge, so that you can regulate how much air you pump into the PC.

Edit: We have been discussing sabotsthat can survive high acceleration, and if you have acess to a thin rubber, maybe you could make one to test.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

MunkeyB

Post by MunkeyB » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:28 pm

zeda.beta,
The sabot is a matter for discussion. My crew mate is working on adding a few more layers of a soft epoxy to cushion and cradle the ammo some more. We can't be entirely sure how the system will work until we test it.

On another note we have acquired a 20lb CO2 tank from a good friend. This week I will be building the chassis to hold the tank and eventually the cannon itself. We will be going into the shop this weekend to assemble all of the pieces of the cannon and run more then a few test fires. If we need to adjust pressure, acceleration, or the sabot we will do so at that time.

I will keep you all informed.

~MB