New Pressure Chamber?

Threads about how water guns work and other miscellaneous water gun technology threads.
martianshark

New Pressure Chamber?

Post by martianshark » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:25 am

I'm having a lot of ideas lately. Am I being annoying with posting so many new threads? Anyway, this is my idea for a possible new pressure chamber.

As water gets pumped in, the compressable cylindar gets spueezed smaller. When the valve of the water gun opens, the cylindar pushes the water out. I have no idea if it would work. Tell me what you think.

cantab

Re: New Pressure Chamber?

Post by cantab » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:14 am

It'll work in principle. But most materials, even 'soft' rubber, will be stiff enough in compression that you'll have a pressure chamber that creates high pressures with low volumes - not what you want for a water blast.

You'd probably need something like a non-absorbent foam (perhaps made so with an outer waterproofing covering).
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:34 pm

It'd work with the right materials, but a spring and piston would be easier. But why even use a spring when air would achieve a similar effect? ;)

There are loads of different ways to propel water, and generally the simplest are the best.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:53 pm

This may look like a good idea in theory, but I don't think it would be feasible.

Basically, this whole setup will act like a spring anyway; here's a page on Wikipedia about just that. It's hard to find a large plug of rubber like this, so the simpler solution would be just to use a spring.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:56 pm

If you could find the perfect material, this is in fact simpler than pistons (whether backed by springs or just compressing air). You don't have to worry about the piston sealing against the cylinder, or about how to get it in in the first place. All you do is stick the compressible block inside the rigid pressure chamber.

In terms of construction, it's one of the simplest ways to make a PC that can fire at any angle. (Well, assuming the material doesn't block up the outlet). The problem is I don't know if the materials are even available. I could design the world's simplest car if I used a material that could be formed into round shapes that rotate of their own accord.

Rubber bladder ('CPS') chambers are similarly simple though, and use well-established materials.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:31 am

I see the simplicity you've noted cantab. This could be possible with a pressurized balloon. It should work, but it'd be a little weird.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:03 am

This is a simple, cheap design for this PC that I might make a couple of with different materials to see if it works.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:39 pm

When you test the different materials, make sure to have some kind of wrap around the tank. That way if they end up exploding, you won't have anything to worry about.
-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:04 pm

I don't think that's really necessary, but this gives me an idea...

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:17 pm

On the topic of PC's, would it be possible to build a SC, but without a piston. instead it would have a circus balloon (the long bendy ones) inside the chamber. you would attach a schrader to the opening and pump it up. the balloon would expend and pressurize the water. this would eliminate the need for a piston.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:26 pm

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're saying. :/

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:44 am

Yeah, I did a bad job explaining it.
|--------------------------------------|
<O> | (___________)|----------to bike pump------->
|--------------------------------------|
(______________) is the balloon. It is inflated by a bike pump, attached through an endcap. as the balloon expands, it generates pressure on the water, forcing it away. when the ball valve (<O>) is opened, it releases the pressure, launching the water.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:37 am

That might work, but it looks like it'll break easily.