Competition for 2010?

Suggestions, comments, questions, and developments related to the Super Soaker Central site and forums.
SSCBen

Re: Competition for 2010?

Post by SSCBen » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:42 pm

After some more thought, I'll hold a contest at WaterWarfare.com next year. For those who do not know, the community is being consolidated into one major forum to increase activity and keep things simple. A contest would be both interesting and useful to jump start WWC.

There'll be no stated goal for the contest other than to make an innovative water gun design.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:58 pm

Interesting idea Ben, or let me rephrase that. Great idea, Ben! I haven't joined WWc yet, but I bet I'll have to to enter the contest.

I have plans that could win this. wink;wink
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:10 am

Hey, by the way, when does the contest start? Tonight? Or some-other time?
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:41 am

When it starts doesn't matter as much as when it ends, which won't be for a while. :)

You can start any time you want.

I'll have more specifics up after I finish some changes to WWc, which unfortunately will have to wait until after I return to my apartment. Due to icy roads it might be a few days before that occurs.
Last edited by SSCBen on Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:25 pm

As some have requested it, I'll be hastily posting some more details for a 2010 contest.

The contest will be hosted here at SSC as people do not seem to want to move to WWC.

The goal of the contest is to make an innovative water gun or something that launches safe water containing projectiles like a water balloon launcher. Any type of water gun is okay. The water gun does not have to be intended for use in water fights, though, I think water guns intended for water fights have more opportunities to be innovative. The contest will be judged based on categories like how SpudFiles does their contests: idea, use of materials, creativeness, quality of build, and function. These may not be the actual categories used at the time of judging as they are copied directly from SpudFiles, but they capture what I think the contest should be about.

I can not offer any prizes, so the only prize will be the glory from doing well in the contest.

The contest ends sometime in late summer. I have not fully planned the contest out yet, so I hope about 6 months remaining is enough for those wondering. ;)

In a few months I will create a forum where contest entries can be posted anonymously. There will be a sticky thread there about what format to use. If there are more than three or so entries, some official judges will be appointed to vote on which entries will advance to the finals. The finals will have public voting.

Hopefully this will stimulate creation of some interesting new water guns. :)

One final note: I will not be entering the contest. I have a few neat ideas but no time to act on them.
Last edited by SSCBen on Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:59 pm

"Innovative" huh? Seems a bit vague...but maybe I'll be able to create something.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:01 pm

I'm in. Good luck to all others.
SPLASH! You're dead!

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:03 am

I'm in.
Once it's finished (and if it works), I'll be posting my easy refill SC. :D

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:37 am

I'm likely to be building another water gun for 2010 anyway, so I'll hop into this one. I doubt I can make anything worth going against some of the excellent CPH's that have been posted in the past, but I'll still be going for ergonomics and war usage. I have no use for something that can't be war-practical.

That's about all the details I can leak out right now. I have no clue exactly what I'll do myself anyway but I'll have to think of something.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:36 pm

I will be building what I call JUCH1. All of the letters stand for things.
SPLASH! You're dead!

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:26 pm

I have a plan for my gun, and I am going to try and keep the cost and complexity down, so that anyone can build a better gun. (At least better then any soaker released in the past 3 years.)
-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:15 am

I've clarified the goal of the contest a bit so that water balloon launchers and similar devices can count.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:23 pm

Cool! I'm in! And I have an idea.

Also, I suggest making a catigory for ergonomics.