New use for schrader valves

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
soakernerd

New use for schrader valves

Post by soakernerd » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:37 pm

I was thinking about the new schrader valve I purchased, and I realized that it could make a great cap for a super soaker.

All separate pressure chamber water guns have a small one way valve in the cap to keep them from imploding. I have an unnatural tendency to lose them, so i decided to find a solution. Basically, do your standard cap replacement, but also insert a schrader into the reservoir.

cantab

Re: New use for schrader valves

Post by cantab » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:22 pm

Interesting idea. Though you will have to check whether the valve actually opens when subjected to negative pressure (lower on the inside), and how much.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Specter

Post by Specter » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:02 pm

Agreed with cantab, usually schrader valves open when the pin gets pushed down by a pump/compressor valve
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:38 pm

Interesting idea, soakernerd. It should work pretty well.
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:32 pm

I think the valve should work, but maybe only when the suction gets too far. It depends on how strong the springs are. Originally, I considered using check valves, but this method will save a ton of space.

On the other hand, I think a large check valve, while expensive, may be worth it if you can fill via the valve as a quick-filler instead of having to unthread something. Unthreading a cap to refill takes a lot longer during a war than one may think, and it's very easy to mis-thread a cap in the heat of battle. For PR guns, attaching ball valve will do. (Which I didn't think of when someone posted a problem with a lost cap earlier, but I don't know how well the valve would've fit.)

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:15 pm

Duh! Why didn't any of us think of a ball valve in the first place? Of course, schradors are a lot smaller and are still effective, but I'm talking about the missing XP 15 cap.

Oh well. Sorry about all that rambling.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:51 pm

I did think of using a ball valve some time ago, but forgot about it as time went on. Apparently, it's too bulky and expensive for stock blasters, but it'd be a much nicer way to fill than the annoying caps that don't thread on correctly half the time, and not to mention take forever to close completely.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:31 pm

If you use a 1/2" valve, it shouldn't be very hard at all. I use 1/2"ers frequently and they are a lot easier than any larger size. And I think that would fit an XP 15 (would look big and out of place a little, however).
SPLASH! You're dead!

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:50 pm

Would the 1/2" ball valves fit a super soaker 10? I have been trying to find a cap for mine for ages.

-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:40 pm

If you're talking about this soaker, I'd say yes. You may have to use a 3/4" piece of PVC, small-size to 1/2", and insert a ball-valve. Unfortunately, this will no longer make this smaller soaker as small, yet, it will work if this comes down to a last resort. You may be able to epoxy a 1/2" valve without the pipe before, because the pipe would make this fix bulky and not wanted, unfortunately. Do it if it's the last resort only.
SPLASH! You're dead!