Bike valve questions

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
soakernerd

Bike valve questions

Post by soakernerd » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:26 pm

1. How do you attach the valve to the piping? I was going to make a PR water gun using a bike valve
2. could I use the valves found in basketballs?
3. Where can I get them?
4. Are they the same thing as schrader valves?
5. are they safe?

JuchTurtles

Re: Bike valve questions

Post by JuchTurtles » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:25 pm

1. You have 2 options for this. You could either drill a 1/4" hole and put one in it, or get a valve that can screw into 1/2" or 1/4" pipe. I suggest the latter because it's more safe, reliable, and air tight. Make sure you have teflon tape for the threaded so it's air tight.

2. You probably could, but it is a different principle. Unless you cut the bladder found in sport-balls, it's like an air bladder to push the water out. If you cut it, it works just like a bike valve. The only problem with these are their pumps. They all stink and will only get you like 15 psi.

3. Lowes or Home Depot. Pretty much any home-improvment store. I would even saw a small hardware store. Oh ya, and bike places.

4. Pretty much.

5. Yes. The threaded version is probably even more safe.
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:37 pm

Okay. Thanks.
How would I thread the valve? Is the valve itself threaded, like a screw, so it can just go in? Or would I need to thread a hole for the valve? I have heard people refer to "tapping" a valve. What does this refer to? Is it how I would make threads? :confused:
my main concern is that the valve will become dislodged, and I will lose pressure through the seam.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:18 am

Go to the hardware store and ask for a Schrader valve. Other valves that don't have threading on the bottom are at best, a pain to work with. The valve should have an NPT thread (the standard threading system you see in pipes and what not)

Tapping is simply making a thread, done when a metal male thread is put into a plastic hole and creates the thread by cutting out the plastic a bit. (the plastic must already have a hole) To tap into metal, a special tool is needed.

The best way is to use a series of adapters to go down to 1/4, then thread the schrader valve into that. However, that costs money and may not bring about the best layout as needed. You can just drill a hole into the PC and thread the valve in with pliers and whatever else you need. As long as it goes in straight it should be fine. You may also want to put in teflon tape to help it seal.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:53 pm

soakernerd, the schrador valve is already threaded. All you need is a 1/4" (or 1/2" if you find a 1/2" schrador) female adapter to do the screw-on option. They are threaded to connect because the schrador is the male side and the female adapter is the other side. Before screwing them together, wrap at least the schrador with teflon tape. Then screw together, and you should use monkey wrenches and what-not to make it have a really tight seal. That's about all.

Now, before making you're homemade, have you checked out the APH guide? It includeds detailed FAQs and an article titled PVC Basics. Make sure to check out this article to learn more about PVC pipe and how it fits together. Look at the homemades section of the site.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

adronl

Post by adronl » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:38 pm

Well the very best quick method for a air valve is a high pressure schrader valve. they are a metal assembly there is no need for threading simply drill a hole the proper size and insert the valve from the inside out and then attach the nut that tightens the assembly up. You can buy them at auto parts stores or tire shops and sometimes walmart. give me a bit ill take some quick pictures to illustrate.

Last edited by adronl on Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:03 pm

That looks perfect. Thanks.
Is there a term for that type of Schrader valve that would help me find one?
I am putting together an Amazon order, and it would be great if they had it. Otherwise I'll find a Lowe's.

adronl

Post by adronl » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:07 pm

It is specifically called a high pressure schrader valve they are rated for 150 PSI and they are usually sold at auto parts stores like advanced auto parts not sure if they have that chain where you are expect to pay 5-6 bucks for 2. oh yeah no teflon tape needed if it leaks tighten the nut :D

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:53 pm

That valve looks great. Even for lower pressures (80 PSI is generally the max a lot of homemade creators go with for WBL's, while 60 seems to be good for water blasters [for easier pumping]), I'd prefer to have one for safety; I'm a bit paranoid at those DIY threads and get the feeling that the valves are going to shoot out. Do you know how much a standard schrader valve is rated?

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:20 am

They do look good. The inner 'flange' is a part of the valve, meaning pressure will act to seal the valve against the plastic, not blow it out. The plastic would have to fail for the valve to shoot off, and provided the drilled hole is properly circular, that shouldn't happen within the rated pressures.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

adronl

Post by adronl » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:32 am

Regular schrader valves vary from 80-100 psi but there are some that go up to 120.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:35 pm

Wow, adronl! I had no idea that these existed. They look a lot better than the valves I've been using.

I need to get these for my homemades!
SPLASH! You're dead!

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:03 pm

This might be a stupid question, but can I use a standard bike pump with these?

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:03 pm

I don't think that will work since the standard schrader valves have short threads and won't have room for the nut and stopper. The regular valve's NPT threads appear to be quite different from this one as well.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:04 pm

adronl? Do you know the answer to this? I'm curious myself if regular bike pumps work with these or not.
SPLASH! You're dead!