Free hosting at supersoaker.org

Discussion of other water gun websites.
SSCBen

Free hosting at supersoaker.org

Post by SSCBen » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:49 pm

Some of you here know I host water gun websites in need of good hosting. However, some people were put off that the hosting would make their website seem affiliated with SSC because the websites are a subdomain of SSC. That won't be a problem any longer because you get the option to choose between sscentral.org, supersoaker.org, of your own domain now.

Our hosting can provide the following:

- 50 MB of space (or more given your needs)
- PHP, Perl, SSI
- MySQL database (if requested)
- Email addresses
- No ads
- No cost

At the moment I can not accept more websites due to space limitations, but let me know if you are interested. I am planning to upgrade our hosting later this year to a larger plan.

MarsGlorious

Re: Free hosting at supersoaker.org

Post by MarsGlorious » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:54 am

I'd suppose you'd say no to a proxy script.

PS. You may have noticed that we've been really quite lately. We were preoccupied.
"Wherever there's a dark age, there are Dark Apostles." - Storm

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:23 pm

Proxy script? Some sort of public proxy might be against my hosting's TOS so take this as a no until I get a more concrete answer. I wouldn't mind given that I know it's not being used for illegitimate purposes.

I don't know why you'd want one as there are plenty of existing websites that do just that though. ;)

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:07 am

Well, I would be using this proxy to bypass filters for sites that are blocked for stupid reasons. For example, the forum for this site.

Many proxies can't do youtube so I would probably use glype or phproxy and make changes to the PHP to allow youtube.

I wouldn't expect that the tos would allow it though. Although this is paid webhosting so perhaps. You could put google ads on it if you want. It just would need to allow me to link domains to it willy nilly in case it gets blocked.

Linking domains to existing websites that have domain already, I believe this is call domain parking.

Although now that you mentioned it, we could host a thunderwars website here.

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:10 am

One potential problem - Hasbro could demand the supersoaker.org domain. I doubt they WOULD, but they may be entitled to it legally, since it's their trademark.

And there are reasons they might. Say if someone made a site that was entirely negative about Hasbro. Or they might not want to be associated with some of the high-power stuff being done, since they are a toy company.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:28 pm

If sscentral.org is being blocked via IP address, supersoaker.org can't help you as its hosted on the same server (i.e. has the same IP address). So it would be worth checking if you can even access supersoaker.org.

As for YouTube, there's definitely a reason for that; proxies aren't high bandwidth things. I can nearly guarantee that my hosting company would have problems with funneling YouTube through their servers, so sorry, no YouTube.

I doubt there'd be any problem with the domain name. If Hasbro wants it, they can have it. I don't intend to renew it as it doesn't get much use.

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:25 am

Well it's doesn't block the ip or the address. Just the word 'forum'. Wait a minute. An SSL Server should solve that.

Youtube is not something it would be mainly for, youtube is just a benchmark to determine if the proxy is good or not. We don't have sound anyway. The real thing I'm after is a reliable, no popups proxy that I can control and effectively park domains on.

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:50 am

MarsGlorious wrote:Well it's doesn't block the ip or the address. Just the word 'forum'.
That's retarded. Then again, most filtering software is. I remember at my sixth form the Scrapheap Challenge (an engineering gameshow and certainly something that could be of relevance to my studies) was blocked, on the basis of "Keyword detected - crap".
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:42 pm

An easier solution would be to make an alternative address like f.sscentral.org. I'll see if I can do that.

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:40 pm

Ben wrote:An easier solution would be to make an alternative address like f.sscentral.org. I'll see if I can do that.
Maybe it's just me, but saying "f"-sscentral-org doesn't sound right! :p

I'd suggest words like "community", "group", "board", "posts", etc.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:15 pm

Good catch.

On second thought it wouldn't be the easiest thing to do as it would involve making a new subdomain and a new forum skin that changed what URLs everything pointed to.

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:40 am

Now that sounds like a great idea. However, as much as it would be great if you do that,

what happened to the idea of the proxy?

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:21 pm

Ben, having two subdomains at once may work. The problem, as you said, is that we've used absolute pathnames everywhere in the main site, and maybe there's the same problem here. Hopefully not.

A proxy may or may not be in the spirit of hosting at supersoaker.org. If it's short term you should probably just buy your own. :/