My new gun LPDAPH & backstory

General water gun discussion.
adronl

My new gun LPDAPH & backstory

Post by adronl » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:15 am

So I thought about doing a make 2 of my very first gun http://forums.sscentral.org/t5564/#post45621 I kinda just appeared out of nowhere. I designed my first APH with no research I just knew that it was possible because many shops automotive, carpentry and etc run their air lines with PVC. The only research I ever did before I built an APH was look up video's and pictures to prove my design was possible to the guy providing the money.
The guy was so impressed by the 3/4"/24" APH backpack tank gun he said build more and sell them and provided 3/4 of a grand. Then my mind just went crazy with designs Ben inspired a lot of thought and I came up with a lot of my own ideas. The basis of most any design you can come up with has most likely already been thought of and a lot of them done.
I just don't fret that and make the design aspect what makes it mine and special to me as many others do here on SSC that make their first and build. I always strive for the best and go for the most power in the smallest package possible for the desired capacity.
Well any way here is the make 2 of my original but modified to be better and more powerful. It is an LPDAPH or a CAP not sure exactly what the admins here will classify it as enough talk here are the pics. Last a note to those building their first home made water guns don't get discouraged by any constructive criticism you may get. ;)

adronl

Re: My new gun LPDAPH & backstory

Post by adronl » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:20 am

I'll post some more soon maybe some video links. Also include a new nozzle!

adronl

Post by adronl » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:04 pm

I am about to put this bad boy up for auction on e-bay today.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:39 pm

CAP is the use of high pressurized air (such as CO2 or HPA, but anything at high pressures, at least several hundred PSI, will work) and an air regulator to provide perfectly constant air pressure. Elastic CPS and LPD are not completely constant but are good enough for most purposes.

Have you seen Ben's LPD design? Yours follows quite a different structure, and I'm rather clueless right now to how it works. If you're using piston cup seals, you only want to have to use one set of them, but your design, assuming the threaded part is where the water shoots out (after attaching the valve and nozzle), seems to require 2 sets of pistons.

adronl

Post by adronl » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:24 am

It is not piston driven hence LPD APH. This design just allows you to fill the water tanks completely then pressure up with air. You do not have to worry about if you put too much water and will not have enough air pressure to get the desired power range and volume. So it is pretty much idiot proof when filling for those whom may not be as experienced with homemade air pressure guns.

Oh yeah I just put it up for auction with the pics you see here I have to add what it looks like with hose nozzles and frame pack padding etc. I can do that later tonight though I am currently at work.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:52 am

Piston based guns are also idiot proof to a degree. I don't know how much pressure the piston can take when the n00b tries to hopelessly push the pump back. At the least, they do better than CPH's.

This looks like it's going to need a backpack too since the air/water tanks are pretty big. What's the plan for the rest of the design? Is it going to be pumpless while operating? (only pumping in order to pre-charge the system)

adronl

Post by adronl » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:29 am

Here are some better pictures

This is the first

Now the mk2

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:31 pm

The original design looks more manageable. The triangular arrangement of pipes on the new one means more weight is further back, increasing the turning moment that the wearer must be able to bear.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

adronl

Post by adronl » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:04 pm

Actually it weighs less and cost a bit less to make. The previous you had to guess how much water was inside by shaking it back and forth while filling. Now you don't guess you know and the air tank on the back the back is secured and is empty aside from air pressure it really doesn't weight more than an empty case.
Take in mind there are 2 straps holding this to the frame and there are shoulder straps and a waist strap and a 3" foam pad. It is comfortable minimal weight for power and volume and you can run with the thing if you wanted to without it flopping all over the place. Last the first version was wider and bit bulkier it wouldn't even fit on a military frame properly, I used an old texsport frame for the original which is a few inches wider than the military frame. Also the new gun is ambidextrous it doesn't matter if you are a righty or a lefty and is easier to operate at peak efficiency.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:37 am

You can add a check valve connection for rapid hose filling, but that would up the cost. Otherwise, nice design, given the weight is managable.

adronl

Post by adronl » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:12 am

Well actually you can rapid fill it there is a 3/4" out put where the nozzles screw on all you need is a female to female connection or a utility hose connect and go. This also precharges the gun to the pressure of your water line. When you are done filling the gun you close the ball valve the same ball valve you shoot from and it is ready to get further charged with air. Some city lines have up to 80 psi coming out so further charging may not be even necessary, unless you want full power you could safely go up to 130psi.

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:24 am

Ah, of course, the rearmost (when worn) case holds only air. I forgot about that.

How do you drain it if water gets in by accident? For example, by a botched filling, or simply if the PCs get inverted.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

adronl

Post by adronl » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:17 pm

when you fill it you fill it upright the pressure builds as you fill. The more pressure you have on your water the better but by the time it gets to the top so much pressure has built up the water flows slowly at this point. When you hear a little trickle into the air chamber you close the ball valve so yeah a little water can get in there. If you invert the thing or slosh some more water over while it is full no worries just fire away at a few targets and when you want the water out you just lean forward. Any water that was in the chamber pretty much just drains back to the water tanks. If there is still just a little bit in there just push the schrader valve in a bit and it will quickly expel the water.