My college acceptance(s)

All topics, except for ones related to water fights. Posts made here do not count towards your post count.
Specter

Re: My college acceptance(s)

Post by Specter » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:38 pm

I got accepted to Rutgers today. But it doesn't matter since I already sent the tuition deposit for Widener. All i have to do is send the "No thanks, I'm going somewhere else" sheet in.
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

MilkMan

Post by MilkMan » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:48 pm

Hey Doom, I got accepted to University of Maryland's Music Ed and Performance departments on trumpet.

And not to brag or anything but it's one of the hardest music schools to get into in the country and I get to study with probably the best trumpet player on the east coast.

Maybe I'll be seeing you!
Last edited by MilkMan on Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Anything with a nozzle and a pump is good enough for me." <--------------- Same lying signature 3 years and counting!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:02 am

Congratulations. I take that you're planning on attending then? If so I'll look forward to meeting you in person.

I don't remember if freshman have any choice in housing, but look at Denton Hall if you can. It's right across the street from the music school and one of the better freshman dorms.

MilkMan

Post by MilkMan » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:39 am

Ben wrote:Congratulations. I take that you're planning on attending then? If so I'll look forward to meeting you in person.

I don't remember if freshman have any choice in housing, but look at Denton Hall if you can. It's right across the street from the music school and one of the better freshman dorms.
Thanks. Yeah, I think that's where I'll be rooming. I know they put the music students in with the honors students and those are the honors dorms if I am not mistaken.

I probably will be attending Maryland, although I do have all my other schools to consider. But Maryland has the best teacher so I'm leaning towards it.

I can't believe I got accepted actually because I crapped my audition there.

But I'm not complaining!

EDIT: That is definitely where I'd room.
Last edited by MilkMan on Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Anything with a nozzle and a pump is good enough for me." <--------------- Same lying signature 3 years and counting!

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 03, 2009 11:45 pm

I ended up applying to 3 schools in regular action. Of the ones I got into, none wanted me as much as Illinois did so I've accepted the offer there.

Thanks to AP credit I'll only have to take a couple classes to fill the gen ed requirements - I'll be taking or auditing a few others though.

I haven't decided on all the programs in which I'm minoring or majoring. I could major in CS and Physics in three years; I could major in both and take some extra classes in four years; or I could major in CS and MechE in four years. As Ben mentioned earlier, MechE has a gigantic curriculum, and there's no MechE minor at Illinois. Fortunately, all the engineering programs share a rather large core curriculum, so I'll only have to choose that second major (if I want one) after a semester or two.

Also, I do want to minor in Math, Chem, and Linguistics, but I don't know if they're worth a fourth year of school.

WaeV

Post by WaeV » Mon May 04, 2009 4:08 am

Rochester Institute of Technology.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon May 04, 2009 4:31 am

Nice. I've heard it gets rather chilly up there. :)

What do plan on majoring in? Do you know yet?

WaeV

Post by WaeV » Mon May 04, 2009 4:34 am

It may be chilly for some folks, but I'm from Maine. :)

I plan to major in Computer Science. I've wanted to since I took QBASIC my freshman year of HS. I love that archaic piece of crud language. I enrolled in an online C++ class but it moved so slowly I just couldn't learn anything. In four months we barely covered if statements. It was horrible. I can't wait for adequate courses.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon May 04, 2009 4:56 am

I started out on TI-BASIC (as did Ben, from what I gather). Not very powerful, but there's definitely an art to working with such a limited platform.

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon May 04, 2009 10:05 am

Day-um. Some of you guys are starting next year...I'm almost FINISHED! Last term of my fourth year. Final exams and then it's The End.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue May 05, 2009 9:27 pm

Yep, members of the forums tend to be high schoolers.

I forgot to mention I'll probably be taking several geology classes - the mineralogy/petrology/sedimentology trio looks interesting. Or I might just audit those since that is a lot of material. :cool:

WaeV

Post by WaeV » Tue May 05, 2009 9:28 pm

Silence wrote:I started out on TI-BASIC (as did Ben, from what I gather). Not very powerful, but there's definitely an art to working with such a limited platform.
Yes, working with Ti-Basic is a challenge, especially after starting on QBASIC. They're both horrible languages, though. I tried learning some Ti-assembly, but my future is in C++ I think.

ooh, geology is fun. What sort of jobs are there for geologists?

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue May 05, 2009 10:00 pm

I never really got into water blasters until coming to uni. It's here that there are societies that basically do water fights. The Assassins' Guild even has a 'Varsity Match' - usually a day-long OHK last team standing game, and the next day various minigames (capture the flag, deathmatch, king of the hill, etc.). And quite a bit of partying on the Saturday night.

Unfortunately I missed this year's because I had other stuff on, and it was an away match (at Durham I think, with Leeds also present. The Oxford guild is unfortunately defunct.)
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu May 07, 2009 3:29 pm

Oh yeah. Jobs for Geological Sciences graduates...

Well the obvious two are academia, and the oil industry. Shell, BP, Exxon, etc employ many geologists. There are also smaller consultancy firms.

Other possibilities...national Geological Surveys. The mining industry - don't know too much about it but they'll need geologists. If one gets into the hydrology side of things there's a lot of environmental consultancy and government work, but the stuff needed is more often taught in physical geography than in geology.

There's a bit of work in museums, public outreach, that sort of stuff. Don't think it pays too well though.

School teaching is another obvious one. In the UK one needs to do a PGCE, which is a 1 year postgraduate course, to become a qualified teacher. Few schools offer GCSE or A Level geology, but a decent geology graduate ought to be able to teach most sciences reasonably.

Then there are of course all the jobs where not matters isn't geological sciences specifically, but science, or even just general 'you will have a degree' jobs.

I don't have anything sorted for next year myself. People I know...a lot are doing PhDs. Some at Cambridge, some elsewhere in the UK, some abroad (I think someone's going to Caltech). Other people are heading for BP. And there are some who like myself don't have anything planned.

Of two people I know who graduated after the third year, one is working in museums, the other is a producer for Sky News. (She doesn't normally present, but did some of the presidential election coverage.)
Arsenal: