Attachments...

Suggestions, comments, questions, and developments related to the Super Soaker Central site and forums.
Specter

Attachments...

Post by Specter » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:49 pm

I need help uploading attachments (my images are too big for imageshack). When I tried it before it gave me some kind of error. I think it said something about an invalid link and if the location was reached from a valid link then to contact the Administrator.

My images of my Storm 600 are 2272 x 1704 pixels and just over the limit for imageshack and it resizes them automatically to 800 x 600. And you can't see the detail in the photos at that resolution.
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

SSCBen

Re: Attachments...

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:14 am

Could you take a screenshot of the problem or copy the exact error? I don't know what would cause that.

I remember a similar error when using Blackboard for class. The software was designed to only allow file uploads from Windows computers. It anticipated a Windows style file structure. Because I run Linux I had to think of a workaround. The one I used was running Firefox in Wine but I'm sure there's other workarounds.

I doubt vBulletin would have a similar restriction because the coders who wrote it aren't stupid. That and your user-agent string says you're running Windows, so you should be okay.
Last edited by SSCBen on Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Specter

Post by Specter » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:31 am

Yeah, I have Windows XP Pro SP2 and I only use Firefox. I don't have Internet Explorer on my computer so I can't try that as a backup.

I'll try the upload again to see if I get the error again.
My pictures are 2.01MB each (don't know if that has anything to do with it)
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:35 am

Make sure you didn't accidentally enter the path to the file...in the URL field. I'm looking at the attachments form right now and I'd probably make the same mistake.

Specter

Post by Specter » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:43 am

I have 8 images, but you can only upload 5 at a time. I put them in the correct fields. Hit browse then selected the image.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:44 am

The maximum file size for an individual file is about 3 MB so the size shouldn't be a problem.

If you keep having trouble email me the files. I'll see if I can upload them and if not I'll host them.

Specter

Post by Specter » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:56 am

Code: Select all

vBulletin Message

Invalid Post specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

That's the error. Is it because I'm trying to upload 5 pictures at the same time?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:09 am

That's probably the result of something screwing with the scripting here. Either turn off all your extensions or switch browsers and try it.

Specter

Post by Specter » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:20 am

this would probably help better, it's a screenshot.
I only have 3 extensions would that really affect it?

Edit: I already said that my computer only has Firefox on it. I can't switch browsers. When i got my new hard drive I only put Firefox on because IE made my computer freeze

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:28 am

Wow...that's a dark Firefox skin I could actually like. I should go back and see what's new there.

Looking at the URL of the attachments page, I'm not sure how that page knows which post to give the attachments to. If it uses a cookie, make sure you don't have multiple post pages open. If it uses POST/GET, clear you cache. I'd just do the basics (even if it's naive): clear the cache, clear the SSC cookies, close all the SSC tabs, close Firefox, shut down. Weird stuff happens.

Bad suggestion, I know, but it may work.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:34 am

So you just hit the "Manage Attachments" button and that comes up right? The problem seems to be that the URL isn't passed correctly judging by your location bar. The URL I get for the attachment page is something like the following.

Code: Select all

http://forums.sscentral.org/newattachment.php?t=5139&poststarttime=1214530107&posthash=af892jn2af9agh28fjaf09
Something must be configured wrong on your side because it's working fine for me. Try another browser.

Specter

Post by Specter » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:43 am

SilentGuy wrote:Wow...that's a dark Firefox skin I could actually like. I should go back and see what's new there.
Its called Aero Fox and got it the day Firefox 3 came out. I got this one because the skin i had on firefox 2 isn't on firefox 3 yet.
The one i had was called Redshift. On that one the scroll bar and the bottom bar that says "Done" are black too. All the icons are black/red not a lot of colors.
Ben wrote:Try another browser.
I can't I only have Firefox installed. And my computer can't run Internet Explorer (ironic?). And my computer's hardware is too old/slow to try to get another browser most likely.

My computer is about 5 years old (got it at the end of 7th grade and I'll be a senior in September) It's a Pentium 4 2.9GHz with 256Mb ram. :-(

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:59 am

Well, turn off your extensions and give it a try. There's nothing I know that would stop the page from passing the correct URL other than some extensions. AdBlock Plus might do it, but I have AdBlock Plus and I'm okay so probably not. It might depend on your filter set.

Opera should run on your computer if you want to try something else.

You could just email me the images and I'll host them as I said earlier too. ;)

Specter

Post by Specter » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:02 am

Ben, when I first open the attachments thing to upload I get a link like the one you posted.
Edit: I think i might just end up emailing you the pictures, makes it easier. And yes you can use them on the site if you want :)

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:05 am

What exact procedure do you follow? You hit manage attachments, select which files you want, and then hit upload? It's a problem with POST/GET then. Try what SilentGuy suggested. That might work.