Monster XL: I'm halfway there!

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
Chewie

Monster XL: I'm halfway there!

Post by Chewie » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:16 am

Okay, so I've had my Monster XL for about 18 months now. On the left-hand barrel, the screw that held on the level selector had somehow snapped down inside the shaft, and I couldn't figure out how to get it out, until today.

So, tomorrow, I can go to the hardware store and get a new screw to replace it.

But, I still have one problem. On the left barrel, one of the level-selectors was cut completely away, jaggedly. Anyone know what a good filler compound is that doesn't take a genius to use and blends well with the plastic?

I'm going to be painting the thing anyway, so color doesn't matter.

Edit: Also, if anyone has a monster XL and can post some pics of the INSIDE of the level selector, I'd really appreciate it. I've got an extra piece I'm not 100% on. It looks like the spring-stopper from the barrel with the snapped screw is missing. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts they're in the basement of whoever sold me the gun. I wonder if you can buy small springs at Orchard.
Last edited by Chewie on Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

SSCBen

Re: Monster XL: I'm halfway there!

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:25 am

What do you mean by "level selectors"? Do you mean nozzles? Taking some photos would help a lot.

Anyway, for filling in things, epoxy or epoxy putty are great. Epoxy putty is great for filling in things like holes, so it might be okay for this if I understand it correctly.

Sorry if this seems a little rushed. I'm packing to leave tomorrow and I need to take a shower, but I wanted to get a decent reply out while you were online.

Chewie

Post by Chewie » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:40 am

Yes, I meant nozzles, sorry. Sadly, I don't have a camera, but I've drawn and numbered a diagram.

1. Nozzle.
2. Soaker Body.
3. Spring stopper.
4. Spacer/washer.
5. Screw Head.
6. Screw.

Now, for ONE of the barrels, I have all of these things. For the other, I just removed the snapped screw and can replace it, but discovered that I am missing parts 3 and 4. I figure I can just use a washer or a nut to replace #4, but replacing #3 might be harder, so if anyone has any suggestions about replacing such a piece with out-of-the-bin parts, I'd appreciate it.

Hope that makes my request clearer.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:52 am

Replacing #4 shouldn't be a problem, as you noted.

You should be able to make a small piece in the same shape as #3 with epoxy putty. Just buy it and follow the directions. It can be used to prototype small parts. It's similar to gum and you mix it in your hands into what shape you want, and it will harden. Typically it's used to fill in cracks in plumbing, but it's very useful for all sorts of other repairs.

You also might have success with a screw that has a very rounded head. Find a screw with a head that's about the same diameter as the other #3 part.

Alternatively you could buy a new #3 from someone else, but I don't think anyone's selling.

If I didn't understand it correctly, let me know.

Chewie

Post by Chewie » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:58 am

Ben wrote:Replacing #4 shouldn't be a problem, as you noted.

You should be able to make a small piece in the same shape as #3 with epoxy putty. Just buy it and follow the directions. It can be used to prototype small parts. It's similar to gum and you mix it in your hands into what shape you want, and it will harden. Typically it's used to fill in cracks in plumbing, but it's very useful for all sorts of other repairs.

You also might have success with a screw that has a very rounded head. Find a screw with a head that's about the same diameter as the other #3 part.

Alternatively you could buy a new #3 from someone else, but I don't think anyone's selling.

If I didn't understand it correctly, let me know.
No, you understood me correctly. I will look for some putty to make the stopper, but I think finding the proper spring is going to be something of a problem. I think tomorrow I will take all the parts that I DO have one of (#3, 4, and 6) to the hardware store and see what they can do for me.

Thanks much, I'm glad you could understand my diagram.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:13 am

Springs shouldn't be a problem. You don't even need to get one to be exactly the same. I remember someone emailing me (or maybe it was on the forums?) about replacing that spring. I think they took a spring from a toy they weren't using, cut it to the right length, and put it in. As long as it pushes the indexer in with sufficient force, it should work okay.

Most hardware stores have a relatively basic supply of springs though. You might want to try to find something on McMaster-Carr. Search for springs and narrow them down by size. You can then decide which one has the right force constant based upon the force constant of the other one (you'll have to test this), though, it might be okay to buy one that seems okay and test it out.

I might edit some more in tomorrow because it's pretty late here. ;)

Edit: Fixed the link.
Last edited by SSCBen on Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chewie

Post by Chewie » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:18 am

Thanks, Ben. I DO have the spring from one barrel, so it shouldn't be hard to say "I need one like this".

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:12 pm

Welcome back, Chewie! :)

Yep, epoxy putty was the first thing that crossed my mind, too. Are you using it to replace a hole in part 1 in the diagram?

You don't even need to replace the spring with an identical one. As far as I can tell, it's just there to make sure the nozzle selector doesn't spin around freely.

Chewie

Post by Chewie » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:27 pm

SilentGuy wrote:Welcome back, Chewie! :)

Yep, epoxy putty was the first thing that crossed my mind, too. Are you using it to replace a hole in part 1 in the diagram?

You don't even need to replace the spring with an identical one. As far as I can tell, it's just there to make sure the nozzle selector doesn't spin around freely.
No, I'm using it to replace component #3, the plastic stopper.

Chewie

Post by Chewie » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:14 am

Update: Got all the parts I need (I think) and finished painting the main gun (and the nozzles) black. Now I'm gonna try and make a new stopper out of a few bits of nylon pipe fittings.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:38 pm

Sorry, I wasn't sure if part 3 was what you had been talking about before.

Did you find a spring to match what you were looking for? If not, make sure to tell us how well the new one worked! Anyway, good luck with the rest of the repair, and thanks for keeping us posted. :cool:

Chewie

Post by Chewie » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:37 pm

I successfully test-fired the gun 20 minutes ago (in my shower). All parts worked fine, and the nozzle with the replacement parts rotates cleanly.

The only thing I'm a bit wary about is in the nozzle with nonstandard parts, there seemed to be a lot of water accumulating INSIDE. I'm not sure if that's because of the very small holes blocking some of the water, or what.

SilentGuy- Most hardware stores have a spring section, and I actually bought a 'Spring Sampler Pack' which come with about 20 springs of all colors, diameters, and strengths, all in the 1/2 - 2 1/2 inch length range. There were actually 3 in there that worked properly.

Now its all assembled and primered black, so I just need to find a brand of spraypaint that won't get tacky and come off on my hands when I hold the gun. Anyone got any suggestions of paint or enamels?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:53 pm

If you're getting some water in the nozzle assembly, it's some sort of a leak, likely from the spring being too long or too strong. Cut the spring a little shorter and test it out.

As for painting, I'll admit that I never have painted a water gun, but I compiled some helpful links here: http://www.sscentral.org/mods/painting.html

I've been told the Krylon Fusion paints work excellent too.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:49 pm

I would try a different spring before cutting the current one. Cutting it will actually make it stronger: because there are fewer coils, each length of wire has to be stretched further, which means they resist with more force. And if too much force could be the problem here, cutting isn't necessarily the best solution.

I would also recommend Krylon Fusion. Their spray paints are rather durable, especially if you laminate the paint or something to protect it.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:47 pm

I would try a different spring before cutting the current one. Cutting it will actually make it stronger: because there are fewer coils, each length of wire has to be stretched further, which means they resist with more force. And if too much force could be the problem here, cutting isn't necessarily the best solution.
I realize that, but the problem is too much force, so cutting it shorter would make it be deflected less, decreasing force if done right. Cutting it shorter would be the easiest solution. It's just one solution if he doesn't have the right spring. ;)