The Last Battle of Ridgewood

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
DX

The Last Battle of Ridgewood

Post by DX » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:56 am

Organized water warfare in New Jersey is collapsing even as I speak. The end is upon us, it feels more real as more people leave not only for college, but some for good. Waterbridge, though technically still existing, has effectively ceased to function. Rather than let everything fall to pieces the quiet and sticky way, I have called for a war and set it as the de facto leader - the founder system has also ceased to function.

The Last Battle of Ridgewood will be fought at noon this Thursday at both the Goffle and Waterbridge, starting at the Goffle. If you have never been to one of our wars, now is your LAST CHANCE. I'm mainly speaking to iSoaker, Ben, Wetmonkey, and the such - if you can't come up/down for this war, there will be no others for you to someday attend. In only 5 days, organized water warfare disappears from New Jersey. I would not be surprised if no battle reports come out of the state next season. iSoaker, you have often said that someday you wish you could fight with us, but "someday" is upon us now.

This will be a 6 hour war, a most intense one at that. Anything that shoots, fires, hurls, etc. water is allowed, shields are not, QFD guns are foolish, the usual stuff. This war should see much more turnout than usual, seeing as it is our final showdown.

Again, if you don't make the effort to attend now, there will not be a next time. Please try if you can!
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Specter

Post by Specter » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:35 am

aw that sucks... too bad i cant go... i dont have much of an armory, and its too far for me.
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:12 pm

What day is the battle? From what I'm reading it's on the 20th. If so, I might be able to make the battle but I have a lot of other things going on right now. I'll see what I can do but I make no promises.

By the way, I'm looking forward to a major war next year that I think we really can organize because enough of us will be out on our own by then. ;)

DX

Post by DX » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:49 pm

It is this Thursday, the 16th, aka tomorrow. Sooner than I'd have liked, but there was no choice - people are leaving every day now.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:36 pm

Sounds sad to me. The Waterbridge setup was one of the ones I most respected when I first joined online Soakerdom. It's not exactly practical for me to join you tomorrow, but I wish you (plural) all the best for the final battle. May it prove a worthy one for the title of The Final War.

Hmm, I hope that didn't sound too pompous!
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:45 pm

That doesn't sound pompous at all Spinner. Seems pretty sincere to me. ;)

Tomorrow I definitely can't do. I've got work. Sorry. I hope you all have a good time on your last battle together.

DX

Post by DX » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:45 am

It actually might not be that large of a war after all. So far, 5 people have confirmed that they can come and 4 have said "maybe". 26 people have not yet responded and 18 can't come.

DX

Post by DX » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:21 am

Said war fell through. We did not have enough people to fight it. The Last Battle of Ridgewood has been moved to this Saturday, same times and places.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:24 pm

I definitely can't do this Saturday. I work 8 hours that day. Sorry.

StormGlorious

Re: The Last Battle of Ridgewood

Post by StormGlorious » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:20 am

So sad to hear that your major wars are over

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:08 am

-------------------This post is incorrect. Clearing things up.-------------------
Last edited by MarsGlorious on Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:54 am

The Final Battle of Ridgewood never happened. I couldn't rally enough people to make it worthwhile. That's actually probably a good thing, as I plan to restore Waterbridge this summer! I will persuade Nick to reform WB even if it means I have to personally storm his room at Marist while quintuple-wielding CPS 15Ks. :rolleyes: There will be more wars in New Jersey. While I have a pair of wicked, wicked, wicked battlefields here in eastern CT, there is no one to fight with. It is very cruel that I now have a crazy arsenal and 5 star battlefields, but no actual team [the Maritime Militia is entirely virtual and doesn't count].

So there should be some action out of Ridgewood this summer, even if it's only one war. Maybe it will even be mixed teams, no defined RM or WB. Since WB has no arsenal, we'd have to use the RM's. The RM arsenal is still the most powerful team arsenal ever assembled [though Hamster's Singapore team and their massed homemades should overtake us at some point *sheds tear*]. With firepower parity and RM/WB people mixed, a future war would actually be challenging and great fun. I might even let Nick in on the secret that held WB victory-less for 2 years... :p

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:44 pm

Yes I actually realized that soon after I made the post. I misread it. I've been meaning to get rid of it.

Sorry!

And why can't all the soaker republic live in the same place than we would have wicked battles. Although, with our arsenal and equipment we'd probably get ponned. The Thunderwars Dark Apostles are like WB. They lose games a lot. The Blood Dragons are half the size of the Dark Apostles yet are still winning. It's only recently that the Dark Apostles won games. They achieved this by finally taking advantage of their numbers and swarming our forces.

The reason why the Dark Apostles lose is quite clear. They generally don't take tactical advantages on the battlefield and don't make full use of their equipment (which is actually supplied by BD).

Also, what is the Ridgewood battlefield? Like a park or local unused land. Private!
Last edited by MarsGlorious on Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:52 am

DX may be too busy to respond, so...

When the Ridgewood Militia and Waterbridge fought, they used two parks - each had a "home" battlefield.

SoakerMedia.net is currently pending renovation. But most of its tactics articles and battle reports are in the forums of SSCentral, waterwarfare.com, and isoaker.com. They contain a lot of tactics information and general info about the Ridgewood teams.

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:05 am

Good equipment can only get one so far. Even with often big tech gaps and equivalent experience, only a couple wars started out as blowouts. The majority of Ridgewood wars were hard-fought down to the wire. The way our One-Hit-Scores system worked made each war really interesting. The numbers, firepower, even tactics only mattered if you could come away with kills/points. There were many times when the RM was able to exploit a great situation, but was unable to score.

Your BD could actually blowout DA with the outnumbered situation in the right kind of game. In soakfests, numerically superior teams tend to rush a lot and there's [usually] very little that can be done about it. However, in a game where kills matter and players can respawn, the outnumbered team can run up the score.

The Ridgewood teams used two battlefields, both wooded and all-natural [no hoses, man-made structures, etc. Waterbridge rated 3 and Goffle rated 4 in difficulty.