Hydro blitz internal pics and video.

Threads about water gun modifications.
dangaard

Hydro blitz internal pics and video.

Post by dangaard » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:26 pm

Hello all, this will be my first post, in a (hopefuly) long list of posts in this particular forum.

The outer shell.

Overall view of the inards.

This is where I think the over pressure release valve is located.

And this is the video with my question about this particular blaster.

Last edited by dangaard on Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updating pictures

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:09 am

If that bottom's the only connection to the reservoir, then I'm pretty sure you're right on the PRV's location. However, I have doubts as to the effectiveness if disabling the PRV. As with all CPS's, disabling the PRV poses a risk of over-pumping, where the too-big bladder will destroy the case if you pump too much. It might be better to experiment with 1 or 2 layers of tubing for a collosus mod, but those are pretty hard to do in general. Perhaps someone else can assist here.

Another mod would be a nozzle selector for the burst, a nozzle drill on the main nozzle, and perhaps keeping the burst valve open so that the the burst doesn't pulse, but instead, fires continuously. (the last seeming to be the easiest to do) The nozzle selector mod involves getting some PVC on the nozzle, getting it to a male threaded adapter, then using several endcaps that thread onto it, each with a differently drilled nozzle size. However, custom nozzles tend to have a lot of turbulence, so simply changing that to a conical nozzle should do the job. Or you can just rely on drilling the small nozzle for that.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:18 pm

Welcome to the forums! Nice pictures and nice video, by the way. :)

The pressure release valve is indeed in that conglomeration of tubes. I can't say exactly where, though. The water gun does have a two-stroke pump, pumping water both ways, but that adds a bit of complexity. You have two check valves (one-way valves) for the pump inlet, two check valves for the pump outlet, and a pressure release valve after the pump outlet check valves.

It's impossible to know which side the pressure release valve is on because you can't tell which way the check valves face. However, like you, I'm guessing the pressure release valve is in the loop of tubing on the far side (from the camera's perspective).

As CA-99 said, though, if you're planning on disabling the pressure release valve, you'll want to make sure you need to first. No point sacrificing some durability unless it's the only way to increase performance. However, as he suggested, you could do a nozzle selector modification to the larger nozzle. A smaller nozzle would increase the shot time and probably the range as well.

The HydroBlitz is pretty clearly a complex, expensive piece of equipment. I wouldn't do *potentially* harmful mods like disabling the pulsing or removing the pressure release valve unless you really have to. Then again, I'm not really a modding kind of guy. :p

Anyway, thanks for the pictures, and I hope your plans for the gun all work! Would you mind if we use the pictures for the big site update this summer? (We'd cite the source, of course. :cool :)

dangaard

Post by dangaard » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:51 pm

thank you for the advice, I will for now halt the removal of that particular valve for now. if you guys want I will venture to take more extensive pics of all my SS that I have ( not many) to advance whatever update/renovation you see fit. quite frankly I'm surprised you asked, and I apreciate you quoting me for the pics. so feel free.

thanks for the welcoming btw, I like the site, it could use more pictures but over all very informative. much more technical info than is on nerfhaven which is where I "come from".

JLspacemarine

Post by JLspacemarine » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:06 pm

There is a fact about the hydroblitz that makes the pulse system disable unnecessary. The HB is made that the nozzle is large enough to empty the secondary bladder in half a second. If a nozzle selector is added, which turns the burst into a smaller stream to increase range, the secondary bladder unleash water as fast as it's being filled by the main bladder, resulting in a constant stream.

I've just noticed something. Looking closely to the burst ball valve, there is 2 holes that the black metal trigger rod can be placed into (see on the last pic). But when comparing with my hydroblitz's internal pics, the same rod was placed in the other hole. I wonder if this could affect performance?

Nice pics and video by the way.
Armory: AS Hydroblitz (x2), MI FlashFlood, STE TripleShot, XP Backfire, XP 215, XP 105, XXP 175, Big Bottle BLaster(x2), SC Power Pak, SpeedLoader1000, SpeedLoader 1500, SpeedLoader Double-Cross 3000, CPS Splashzooka (x2), CPS 1200, CPS 1500,CPS 2100, CPS 2000 Mk2, CPS 1-3-5

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:58 pm

^I highly doubt that [burst valve] would cause much of a difference, maybe it could affect the timing of the bursts but that seems to be about it.

I don't see how disabling the pulsing would be harmful at all, just keep the self-activated ball valve open and the burst won't pulse, it'll go directly from the main PC to the nozzle. Either way, using a smaller nozzle would also do the trick as said, but it's still easier to disable the pulsing by removing some of the trigger parts and leaving the valve open.

dangaard

Post by dangaard » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:20 pm

Guys, I dont want to remove the pulsing, I find it useful. But, I think I might add a pvc or cpvc coupler to the larger nozzle, so I can chjange on the fly what kind of barrel I want to use.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:11 am

Thanks, dangaard! 'Tis a pity Nerfhaven is the only quasi-technical Nerf site... :p

I've just remembered why you need the pulse for the large nozzle. If you look at the water gun, there's a ton of potential for flow from the second pressure chamber to the large nozzle - large tubing. Firing directly from the first PC won't work because the flow will be constricted and performance on the large nozzle will be terrible.

JLspacemarine, it's possible to disable the pulsing properly. The second bladder isn't filled until it's emptied. It uses a Max-D trigger - it snaps open and stays open until the pressure drops, then it snaps closed and stays closed.

dangaard

Post by dangaard » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:07 pm

I hope this is'nt necro'ing but I just realized something, it may be important mabey not. The secondary bladder in the HB does'nt completley empty after each shot, infact I would venture to say that it does'nt empty by more than half. in my HB if you pump up the gun to full, and then fire off all blast shots you can, then flip the selector on the side, the smaller nozzle will fire off a bit of presure. further more if you empty the main bladder from the smaller nozzle and then flip the selector from blast to needle setting it will empty a small amount of water from the secondary bladder with quite some force. I sense a possible mod here.

Pooshybear

Post by Pooshybear » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:28 am

silentguy wrote:Thanks, dangaard! 'Tis a pity Nerfhaven is the only quasi-technical Nerf site...
I forunately hail from a nerf site so I can help you out with couplers. For Glueing I suggest using Pvc and JB weld for plastics.
and yes I am back...even though I have barely posted.
"I swear on my furry body that if you touch that soaker, I will end you"

DX

Post by DX » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:50 am

Nerf gun barrels and water gun barrels are very different. You don't use couplers to multi nozzle mod, you use a threaded male adaptor placed over electrical tape which is wrapped around the nozzle itself. No glue is necessary unless the adaptor is shot off. The most common type of interchangable nozzles themselves are end caps which thread onto the adaptors. However, that is a crude solution. The most sophisticated nozzles are conical and designed specifically to improve flow and reduce turbulence.

For a Hydroblitz, I would not multi nozzle the top, I'd do the bottom/main nozzle. It simply looks easier and faster to mod. You'd be able to choose whatever you want to shoot, while holding on to the pulse ability. You'd also have to saw a small piece of casing out, but true modders rarely care if something looks a bit ugly/raw.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!