Water gun running off air compressor

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Kamu

Water gun running off air compressor

Post by Kamu » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:01 am

Hey guys

I have an idea that I would like to make, a water gun that runs off a small air compressor (a 12v one) and uses quite a large water container to hold the water.

I don't really have much of an understanding how these things work, but would like to attempt one.

Any help at all would be appreciated, thanks.

Kamu

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:27 pm

Those compressors are nice, but slow.

If anything, I would recommend a Pressurized reservoir soaker with both a 12V compressor for a slow charge over time, plus a bike pump or something to pressurize more quickly if you need it.

If you do that, you get the best of both worlds, with the exception of a little more weight.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:06 pm

A 12V air compressor really wouldn't be too helpful at all. You could easily pump a standard pump at an equivalent level for the duration of a battle and not get tired, but more specifically, you'd get far more performance using a regular pump, without the weight of this system. However, as joannaardway said, it is certainly something to check out. I would try to make a duplicate (but better of course) of the Scorpion if you're looking for something like that; but make sure it stays light and try to get a quieter system. Good luck!

Kamu

Post by Kamu » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:28 pm

Thanks for your replies.

Carrying the gun isn't a problem, because it will be fired from a car.

Maybe the compressor could fill up a tank, then the water gun uses the air from the tank? That way I would pretty much always have compressed air to fire off shots.

I'm not too sure about using one of the home made designs, as they have 2 pressure chambers (?) on their designs, but would they be necessary for what I want? As well as being fairly large.

Also: Is there a design available for a "Pressurized reservoir soaker"?

And I also found this site: http://www.geocities.com/m15399/cap.html
Isn't this what I would want?
Last edited by Kamu on Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:16 pm

That link would be something you'd want. CAP is a great system. Here's some old images from my first CAP system: http://www.sscentral.org/images/supercap/

Getting a big air tank would be a good idea too. If you have a big air tank, you can use that for a long time. The small 7 gallon one I have is good for a lot of shots actually. 11 gallon ones are available too. With an air tank you could actively refill the tank while it was being used. So your assumptions are correct. ;)

Sorry for the short reply. I have to leave shortly.

Kamu

Post by Kamu » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:25 pm

Ah good.

How could I go about using a water tank with a CAP system? Would the tank itself have to be pressurised? Your system looks pretty rigid there, I'm hoping it would be possible to fit this is a back seat of a car.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:02 pm

His system was designed so it can be put on a frame backpack and can thus be carried around. It looks a bit bulky, but apparently it's still good, and from what I've heard, the performance is incredible.

There might be some other designs that would work well in vehicle applications. Mobility isn't really an issue, but I doubt you'll want to fix the gun like the turret as in that one Lada Niva. This should easily fit in a car's back seat without a problem, though you could experiment with using a LATCH system to secure it.

Kamu

Post by Kamu » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:42 am

I am wondering if there are any designs out for this CAP system, as I am not sure what I would need and how I would go about putting it together?

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:12 pm

Kamu wrote:I am wondering if there are any designs out for this CAP system, as I am not sure what I would need and how I would go about putting it together?
The best source of information would be to browse or search the homemade water gun forum. But in this case, that should have been obvious--one of the only sources of documentation on the setup, SuperCAP, is currently right next to this thread in the forum index! Anyway, good reading!

If you have any questions, it might just be better to ask in that thread.