Super Soaker [Mt. Tiki Soki] rubber chamber

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
tpapa

Super Soaker [Mt. Tiki Soki] rubber chamber

Post by tpapa » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:36 am

This is a little off topic but there's only so many places to post questions about supersoakers so apologies in advance.

I have a SuperSoaker Mt. Tiki-Soki sprinkler (not exactly water fight material). Anywho, the cylindical rubber chamber that inflates (fills with water), causing the water to "erupt" from the volcano has ruptured after only a few hours of play. This *seems* to be a purpose-designed bit of rubber tubing, only a few inches long but apparently can hold a fair bit of water.

Does anyone know of a place where this tubing can be had. The outside and inside diameters would need to be similar since there are barb-fittings that go in either end of the tube.

There seems to be a fairly large community of folks who mod their guns so hopefully someone has a suggestion.

Thanks,

Tony

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:50 am

Welcome to SSCentral! I moved this from "General" to "Off Topic" and changed the title since this actually isn't off topic at all--we're happy to help with repairs. I'm sure you'll get the hang of the forum layout soon.

It looks like you need to replace the old rubber bladder with latex rubber tubing (LRT), a plumbing material that can be bought at McMaster-Carr. If you get the replacement tubing from them and if you live fairly close to New Jersey, you should recieve it on Monday.

Repairs like this have been done before; see "CPS 2000 Bladder split, help please!" and the related thread "CPS 2000 Bladder repair, how to..." The Super Soaker Central Forums actually has a stickied thread, "CPS Bladder repair," but it really isn't that helpful at this point. Anyway, I hope you get the gist of how to do such a repair.

You pretty much remove the old bladder and use a Jubilee clip (also known as a hose clamp) to secure LRT over where the original bladder was or onto a tubing barb that you epoxy on. The CPS 2000 "required" a far more powerful bladder, but this situation probably doesn't call for more than one layer of LRT. Also, I'm not sure how your "soaker" works--if the hose fills the bladder for you, then too thick a bladder would require too strong a hose.

Perhaps pictures or greater detail in your explanation would help if this doesn't work for you. We're always happy to help, and good luck with your repair :) !

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:59 am

SilentGuy pretty much hit the nail on the head. All you'll need to do is find the same or a similar replacement tube and replace the chamber. Pretty easy.

Good luck with the repair! :)

tpapa

Tiki Soki Repair

Post by tpapa » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:06 pm

Hi Guys, thanks for the info. I've ordered a section of the LRT that most closely matched the one of the SS which was the largest they sell, 1 1/2" OD, 1" ID, and 1/4" WT. I needed an inside diameter of 7/8" but opted for a thicker wall instead. The Tiki Soki's valve mechanism has the barb fittings integrated so the tubing ID has to be close. Getting LRT that has an ID of 7/8" brings the wall thickness to 1/8" and the rating to 20PSI.

I noticed that the 1 1/2 tubing was only rated for 30PSI. As you correctly surmised, this sprinkler fills using a water hose. Standard house water PSI is higher than this tubing is rated for. I wonder if that'll be a problem? Would doubling the tubing in a way that still provides for the right inside diameter increase the pressure rating? It woudl be tough to find that combo given the choices on the McMaster website.

The way the Mt. Tiki Soki works is it fills the bladder with water until it reaches a certain weight then releases. The weight of water in the bladder pulls down a springloaded mechanism which rotates a ball valve into the open position. After the water is expelled ball rotates to the closed position and the bladder proceeds to fill with water again. I suppose so long as enough water accumulates in the bladder to cause a release before the internal pressure reaches 30PSI I'll be ok. Right? Would putting a section of bike inner tube on the outside of the LRT help? Hurt? Increase the pressure of the release?

If anyone is interested I'll put some pics of the repair up.

Tony

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:47 pm

I don't know for sure, but I believe the 30 PSI is actually how much pressure it takes for the tube to expand. These tubes never operate on pressure, rather, they work by the expansion and contraction of the rubber. You shouldn't have any trouble using the 30 PSI tube on a hose for those reasons.

The PSI rating of the tubes doesn't seem to correlate much with actual performance. A 35 PSI tube performs similarly to most CPS water guns, and it takes approximately a hose to get that performance. You probably will get similar or better performance with the 30 PSI tube you have.

I would avoid layering over this tube because I'm not sure most hoses could take the extra pressure. The highest pressure I've built from my hose was 55 - 60 PSI, which is normal, and I've had trouble filling rubber tubing attached to a hose with about four layers of bike tubes over that. You can try layering if you want a bigger splash, but don't layer too much. Trial and error will tell what your hose is capable of.

Get some pictures of this repair too. I'm sure someone in the future will appreciate them. :)

tpapa

Back in business

Post by tpapa » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:42 pm

Just wanted to let you know that the LRT from McMaster arrived in less than 24 hours (even though I didn't choose overnight shipping) and worked beautifully for the repair. The inside diameter was a little larger that the original but the barb-fittings held on. The performance seem superior with the new tubing. I cut it a little longer than the original. The volume and pressure of the water blast is better.

I have about 1.5 feet of the LRT left over (I ordered extra just in case). Maybe I'll try a homemade gun like described in some of the other posts.

Fun stuff.

Thanks again for the advice.

Tony

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:55 pm

Congratulations! It sounds like McMaster-Carr has a reliably efficient service, so everybody gets their orders quickly. Just remember that you'll definitely want more tubing for layering if you're making a CPH, but since the shipping is quick, that isn't much of a problem.

docoman

Re: Super Soaker [Mt. Tiki Soki] rubber chamber

Post by docoman » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:34 pm

Hello Tony - I have same problem my our Mt. Tiki Soki. Can you post pictures of your repair or at least describe the part of taking about the toy to get to the water bladder?

Thanks
Ron

Silence

Re: Super Soaker [Mt. Tiki Soki] rubber chamber

Post by Silence » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:10 pm

This thread is from 2006 so it's unlikely tpapa will respond. His profile page has a link to his email address, though, so you may want to shoot him an email instead. :cool: