NEW Message Board- by ZOCCOZ

Discussion of other water gun websites.
ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:34 pm

joannaardway wrote:Why lower yourself to the level of reflecting the crap?

Or even as many of us are guilty of - looking back several years to the past of soaking.

We are living in the here and now.

Your forum is focusing on the female "water warrior" even if those warriors are wearing bikinis, and are being paid to have photos taken.

I'm sorry, but here you have the one regular female water warrior, and you're rather overlooking my views.

In truth, that's not the most favourable image of "female water warriors" to have broadcast worldwide - at least from my perspective.

EDIT/Final note: I dump what I would normally prefer to keep to myself over the topic, and it's overlooked. That's really not how I percieve you.

I see your point with the "Female Warrior" issue. And I supose that is how others will interpred the R-Forum. I however never considered those models to be anything close to "Warrior", same like the Max-Infusion spokes model dude. Which is were the parody comes in.

If we would have to deal with actual females in water wars, the issues would have to be adressed different, since the problem is social and cultural. According to sociological stats girls in general don't grow up with toy guns. Now there have been new paintball female groups turning up, but they are more concious about gender roles than kids. The R-Forum difinatly does not say "hey everyone, this is what actual female water fighters look like!" Believing that would be somewhat 2 dimenional. The R-Forum simply points out questionable quality with questionable quality. While it adreesses certain gender elements such as "manlyness", it doesn't adress gender itself. Atleast not at the serious level.
Granted, some feminsits would say that valuing "manlyness" is discriminating in itself, I would say that its not gender exclusive and simply a traditional word to explain a universal concepts. becasue lets face it, even the word "emancipation" has the term "man" in it.

As to why sinking to their level, it adds more expression and freshness to the messege. At least to me.

As for why looking back at old soakers is very simple. As soakers are concearned, they are the only ones I actualy like. Without them, I would not even be here. I have no decication to the present or future of retail soakers or other future users. In those realms, I am not a soaker fan, and have as much thought about it as about Lasertag or Nerf Football. Without my staying interst of older soakers, I would simply do what other veteran users have done in the past. Which is flipping off soakers alltogether and finding a different hobby.
Last edited by ZOCCOZ on Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:14 am

I'm not staying that we shouldn't look back at the past, but we shouldn't idolise the past in favour of APHs and other homemades.

I'm all for retaining what soakers of the past that remain, and wishing that Hasbro would see our sense, but none of us can bring back that past.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:54 pm

joannaardway wrote:I'm not staying that we shouldn't look back at the past, but we shouldn't idolise the past in favour of APHs and other homemades.

I'm all for retaining what soakers of the past that remain, and wishing that Hasbro would see our sense, but none of us can bring back that past.

I would agree with you if we would talk about socio-political issues that require progress. I myself am very Anti-Traditional. Hobbies however are different. They focus about a certain time/thing/place. If it is 70s Hong kong Kung Fu movies, 80s Transformers, or 90s soakers. Again, it takes a collectors mentality to identify with what I am saying. Try telling a Renaissance Fair re-enactor that airsoft guns or skateborading are more modern. They would dont care since its no longer focus of their hobby. While I have a certain intellectual interest in APHs or modded guns, they are not something that I would consider a personal hobby.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:06 pm

So you are saying that your hobby is specifically "mid to late nineties stock soakers", rather than soaking in general?

Fair enough. My hobby is rather wider than soaking - anything related to warfare/safe reprentations of war - in truth.

Projectile "weapons" (which in the UK means pneumatic launchers), tactics, soaking, etc. And the continued development of any of the above - so to me APHs are the way forward.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:34 pm

joannaardway wrote:So you are saying that your hobby is specifically "mid to late nineties stock soakers", rather than soaking in general?

Fair enough. My hobby is rather wider than soaking - anything related to warfare/safe reprentations of war - in truth.

Projectile "weapons" (which in the UK means pneumatic launchers), tactics, soaking, etc. And the continued development of any of the above - so to me APHs are the way forward.

Yeah prity much water guns from 1980-2003. :cool: Thats about all where my personal liking generaly goes when talking about water guns. Same with my Transformer hobby which is only realy focusing on G1, G2 and versions that are G1 or G2 enspired. While I train regularly in martial arts, its also just focused on self defense instead of sports or traditional performance when compared to my MA classmates.
All of my Hobbies are "specialized". Otherwhise, it would cost me to much money and time. ;)

Silence

The end!

Post by Silence » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:12 pm

And I'm in it for the fun of being able to design new soakers and mainly to surpass what's already out there, since I'm a competitive type...

Finally, an end to the flame war! I'm glad it's over, because this is a subject that was important to me, yet I did not feel hostility to ZOCCOZ or anybody. I've grown extremely tired of it, especially because I can see both sides of the argument.

At least, I hope this is the end...

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:54 am

Well, for me, I have one general hobby - it's not expensive to keep going at it.

I'm never that specific to anything within it - it could be anything really. There are some regions of it I'll never touch, but it's easier to say "warfare and representions of it" than everything I do within it seperately.

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:28 pm

Updates, updates, updates of...you know what ... ... ... .