Best Launcher for Sniping?

Threads related to water balloon launchers.
Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:45 pm

No, from what others have said, the fluid air resistance cuts down the speed so much that the balloon won't do too much damage. All it does is get you wet, which is fine with me.

guerrilla91

Post by guerrilla91 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:52 pm

Well that is news to me. However, i still do not believe that sniping directly at a lone person is too effective. Shooting into a base or at a group would be a much better use of a balloon.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:19 am

Cerberus is going to have 700-800 foot max range, but due to the sniping limitations, effective range is going to be 300-400 feet.
I would imagine he uses a piston valve design, but i could be wrong.

Point 1: I am not a he.
Point 2: Yes, it is a specially designed piston valve, however, this is like nothing the world has yet seen. It will open in a mere millisecond due to an auto actuated assist pilot - and will have a flow co-efficent off the scale.

Cerberus isn't yet built (although for some reason I do sometimes talk as it is). However, I would not be going out with this design without the top up tank - with a large chamber, it's going to need a lot of air to keep it running (this tank may well need to be a back pack) The de-pressurization activated auto bolt action reload is also a favourite of mine.

I'm considering shortening the barrel by 50 cm, and increasing tank pressure from 70 to 100. This way, I will be getting similar performance to before (330 ft/sec), but in a launcher about the same length as the Aqualabs one (with rapid fire)

Cerberus has to have a small bore to minimise air resistance, and a high muzzle velocity to hit a target at long range quickly. However, the energy on impact will be similar to the Douche.

Hell, I love being in the Army Cadets - I can spend hours studying weaponry that others will never even get to see. Thus, my plans incorporate lots of military design goodies. The SA80 is full auto. Thus with final design, full-auto is going to be a definate.

I might eventually sell some Cerberus clones. Price as of yet unknown, but feedback would be nice. I can ship to the States, but that would add to price. However, plans will be free.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

00chapin00

Post by 00chapin00 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:51 pm

I'm about to build the launcher 3.2 from aqua labs and I am going to snipe with it. I was just wondering if there was a way to make and/or attach a scope to it.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:16 pm

Understand that there is a steep arch in the trajectory of any water balloon launcher, especially so if you follow the 45-degree rule. Thus, a scope in itself is pointless; not only will you be looking far above the correct point, but the correct target won't even be seen in the scope in almost all situations. Alternatively, you could do a rail-type system like the ones used in grenade launchers; it has a rail aligned along a vertical piece that has markings for distance. You match up the front of the rail and points on the vertical bar that designate the appropriate distance. This problem is part of why I don't think WBLs are the best weapons for sniping.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:03 pm

Practise will allow a user to compensate for range.

The arching curve happens with all projectiles, just more so at low velocity/high ranges.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston