Articles vs. Threads

Suggestions, comments, questions, and developments related to the Super Soaker Central site and forums.
Silence

Articles vs. Threads

Post by Silence » Mon May 22, 2006 11:26 pm

Unfortunately, the Tech section at the main Super Soaker Central site (not the forums) is somewhat disappointing. We have been encouraging new members to read through all of the articles before even looking at the forums, let alone posting, yet all the latest and greatest information lies in the forums. Face it--the Tech section needs quite a few updates, and given all the documentation for various soaker technologies in the forums, it shouldn't be too hard to write up a few articles. For example, it's about time we had:
--a homemade walkthrough
--an article about CPHs
--an article about PCgHs
--an article about two-stroke pumps
--an article about dual-stage pumps
Yes, the last three suggestions are the ones that I like the most (guess why... :p ), but they do have some potential. However, the first two are the most feasible at this point, because they have actually been accomplished.

There is nothing like a good article for straightforward information and for getting in the last word. These two topics don't have too much conflict, and since they've been settled, it would be a good idea to write up articles about them.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue May 23, 2006 10:02 pm

The first two mentioned articles I can do and have started, but I've got my priorities at the moment. I'll see what I can do soon however. I do agree very much that our website is in need of a serious update. Am I the only one to notice that we have not been updated since 2004? Surely I am not.

Right at the moment I'm shooting for a complete revamp by July, but as I said, I'll see what I can do. The CMS is approximately 75% complete, a new design has not been created, and there is much work to be done on content and organization. I am however familiar with everything that needs to be done, in fact, all I need is time. ;)

Use this thread as a place to request articles on certain subject for writers to get to. I will pin it for the moment.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu May 25, 2006 4:07 am

Thanks for working on all those things at once, Ben. Maybe plans for a homemade store can be finalized and incorporated into the SSC update, but it actually sounds like a long shot for now. I'm sure the summer (my first one here, in fact ) should help with any time concerns...

Upon further contemplation, I have concluded that, overall, most new users actually have read all the actual articles--although I've been assuming that most of them just skip to the forums. In the past week or two, I've seen at least two or three new members who have long since decided to build the standard two-PC APH, and who have come to the forums just for details. If more documentation was available in article format, the homemade soaker community could have huge potential :cool: . I'm quite impressed.

DX

Post by DX » Thu May 25, 2006 11:33 am

The site needed major updating last year, nevermind this year. :p It still uses HTML 4.01 and relies heavily on tables. Then again, Ben has been busy, and updating a site this big isn't exactly easy.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu May 25, 2006 8:40 pm

Those are good points, Duxburian, but I am leaning more towards the content side than to the syntax/formatting side. Of course, I understand the site would be better once all improvements are made--but making changes such as those you were describing might involve lots of time, and the current priority is getting the new articles out. Either way, I'll be excited when the new site comes up :) ...

If we are going to be discussing here, then those who have suggestions should post them in bold.