Homemade store

Suggestions, comments, questions, and developments related to the Super Soaker Central site and forums.
joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue May 16, 2006 2:50 pm

How exactly can you post a new thread by mistake?

It insists on a post title - if you haven't got one and it asks for one, then copy what you have, click back, and select the right button.

As 95% or more of users only rarely use post titles, I think that common sense may require engaging.

EDIT: Posts 55, 56, 58 and this one are from a different thread. Thus they may seem out of context.
Last edited by joannaardway on Tue May 16, 2006 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed May 17, 2006 12:00 am

You could have just put the new posts at the bottom of this thread and completely together to reduce confusion, but this works too. Thanks.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Sat May 20, 2006 8:49 pm

I don't think I can choose where they go... The normal thread mode is "oldest first" and as some of those are older than some here, your PC automatically puts them like that.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat May 20, 2006 8:52 pm

Oh, I see why that happened like that now...thanks. I guess you could still have just quoted these in your post(s), but this works too--the order is at least somewhat clear. However, you might want to say where those posts came from in bold through an edit.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Sat May 20, 2006 9:01 pm

Ok, changing it. I'll put something simple in...

I suppose we should get back to topic, rather than discussing topic management.

Ok, I admit it - I'm trying to avoid the post length minimum with a comment about "off-topic"ness

In response to (as an aside):
Ben wrote:Seems there are so many new posts here, I can barely keep up. I suppose that's what happens when it gets warmer...
I agree - I'm finding it hard to keep track of it all. Perhaps I should write an AI moderator. But then again, it would probably go wrong and merge the entire forum into one whole thread.
Last edited by joannaardway on Sat May 20, 2006 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat May 20, 2006 9:28 pm

Thanks...at least new readers of this thread will know why some things are out of context. This makes it much better!

An AI moderator wouldn't work (I sense that it was a joke), but you could possibly write some program that, after seeing several specific words (possibly in a row?) in a post, will post with a link to a relevant thread, article, review, or any other page with any predefined URL. It wouldn't be that helpful, though, since you'll want to read and reply yourself anyway...

However, I'm thinking about software that will open all new threads/posts in new tabs, so when I open Firefox or hit some type of "refresh" button, I can respond to the ones I want to (which means about 80% of them, in case you people have been wondering) immediately. Even better would be some program (that probably already exists :p ) that refreshes the page every few minutes, telling you when new posts come up.