Triple aggressor failure.

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
joannaardway

Triple aggressor failure.

Post by joannaardway » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:54 am

Well, yesterday the PC failed on my 3xA*, so I've got to find a solution to this. I might just cut out some parts and have a bit of flexible pipe bridging the gap it used to be in and use only the external PC I created for it.

However, I've had the idea to use the mini pistol port for a section of LRT. I suppose it's as good an idea as I've got, and it would convert the 3xA to a hybrid water weapon - both the CPS and air parts use the valves to turn them on and off.

I'm not going to be building a CPH for a while, but this would allow experiment before I do so.

It would probably also mean that I could fit more than the entire contents of the reservoir into PCs, for huge soakage times - a backpack might be needed, or I might ditch the current reservoir in favour of a backpack only type (could I somehow manage to fit my CPS 3200 backpack to it?)

And if I did decide to fit a low bore auxiliary water balloon launcher to the 3xA, that could be fun - a CPS, air pressure and water balloon launcher combo. The wbl pressure tank could be stored where the reservoir currently is (if I choose to remove it)

*huge crack down the seal between the two halves of the PC. The PC is actually quite a poor design - it's not spherical or close to it, so failure is more likely. I actually had the external PC fitted at the time - not even designed to take pressure (1mm walls), and it survived the 100 psi that caused the internal one to go (3mm walls). There was a huge crack and then a huge bang to match it - nothing like a trigger valve going.

I recommend that people take more care when CVFing a weapon like this - new weapons are likely to be the worst culprits for bad PC glue seals.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:55 pm

So this is your modded 3XA--that's a shame. I believe there's another recent thread about a tear in a CPS 2000's PC bladder, so you might want to take a look at that. Nothing much has come out of that thread, but it might give you some ideas. I'll post the link for people reading this thread in the future, as the other thread may die.

Possibly, posting a picture as per the repair procedures will perhaps empower people to help you.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:24 pm

Well, the 3xA chamber pulled apart because the poor design and a CVF caused about 1 ton of force on the seams.

I think I'll just make some changes, so that there is no internal PC - attempting to repair this one would be most likely a waste of resources.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:46 pm

A ton of force--that's quite a bit.

It is a good idea to experiment with an external PC for this gun, considering it won't work with an internal PC anyway. Of course, if you add a PC, you will bring this soaker even closer to a homemade. I'm not sure whether that's a good thing (more power, etc.) or not (you might as well just build a homemade).

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue May 02, 2006 7:04 pm

That what happens when the PCs are made that shape. They naturally force apart. If it had been spherical or cylindrical, I doubt this thread would exist.

The plastic bottle's walls are actually closer to 0.5 mm thick. I'm rather annoyed that Hasbro produced something so poor.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue May 02, 2006 8:04 pm

Do you think you would still like the 3XA if you had not modded it and it had not broken? If not, then maybe you should just focus on homemades.

Yes, guns with CPS bladders should only use standard shapes, not funky ones; even cylindrical might not work as well as spherical bladders. This is because forces will be acting evenly in all directions, and poorly-shaped bladders will have weak points.

EDIT: Will you edit your 3XA modding thread to point out this potential problem? That might be a good thing to do...

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Wed May 03, 2006 7:48 pm

Well, I was talking about the 3xA's standard PC - it's sort of a squashed cylinder (so the end is oval)

I liked the 3xA before the mods, but a CVF and the PC capacity mod really did make a difference.

The problem was with the CVF - not any of the mods I created.

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed May 03, 2006 8:21 pm

How can a CVF failure completely mess up a soaker? The last time I checked, if any problem occured, the dried epoxy glue plug just blew out from the pressure. The solution was to (use stronger glue and) just glue it again.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Thu May 04, 2006 9:08 am

The CVF is fine - the higher pressures that the CVF allowed were the cause of the problem.

The soaker would never have been above 40-60 psi without the CVF. The CVF meant that the pressure reached 100 psi - twice the force on the chamber walls.

That's another point - I only used a thin piece of plastic over the hole - that survived as well....

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu May 04, 2006 12:35 pm

That's quite impressive--tripling the pressure. Too bad the distance and output aren't tripled as well.

So exactly what broke? I don't see any specific details...