CPS 2000 repair

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
CROC

CPS 2000 repair

Post by CROC » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:04 am

Im not sure what make it is or what is wrong with it, i will post those details when i get it, but im getting a CPS 2000 from my cousin that is broken. Could you all help me out with fixing it?
I really want this gun to get back up and running. (when i get it)
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:24 pm

Hmm - it would have been best to wait until you had the weapon, and then posted.

Doubtless, we will invest as much effort as possible into helping, as it is always better to repair an old soaker than discard it and buy a new one.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:32 pm

There hardly seems much to say at this point - what did you expect us to say? I expect we'll help later when you have the gun and can describe the problem - take pictures if you can.
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

Jadefalcon09

Post by Jadefalcon09 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:43 pm

This kind of a template will help. I may be an old buzzard at Water Warfare, but I know a thing or two. Put it in this template when you can better examine the gun.

________________--

Hey there folks. From time to time, Soakers will pick up age. With that age comes performance problems. To keep your soaker going, there are fixes to those problems. To better understand your problem, and most importantly get a faster fix to it, follow this template when posting your tech issue.

Tech Template
------------------------
1.) In 1, brief sentence, describe the problem.
(example- When I pump my *Insert Gun Name*, water leaks out of the nozzle without me pulling the trigger.)
2.) In 1 sentence, describe what you think the problem is (leak, busted tube, defect, etc)
(example- I think it is a tube leak, or a rod inside is becoming weak.)
3.) Go into detail and describe what exactly is going on. List all the general steps taken to get to the problem (did you bang it on concrete? is it leaking AFTER or BEFORE pumping?)
(example- I filled my gun with water, about 2/3 full. I pumped my gun to about 1/4 pressure, and it began to shoot out of the nozzle.)
4.) Tell us the age of your soaker if you can, or an approximate age of the gun.
(example- about 3 years old.)
5.) Do your homework, what do you think will fix the problem, if you can think of any solutions
(example- I am not sure about the problem, I do not have much tech experience.)
6.) Provide a detailed picture.
7.) Give us the Model Name, gun type, and if possible the company name.
(example- My gun is a CPS model, the picture from isoaker's site shows this is a CPS 1000, made by larami.)

CROC

Got it!

Post by CROC » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:57 am

after I pump my CPS 2000 mk 1 water leaks out of the gun.
I know it is a tube leak, as I opened it up and there was a tear in the PC.)
It is leaking after pumping, and I got it from someone else, so I dont know how it broke
I filled my gun with water, until it was full. I pumped my gun and the pressure gauge did not move
The soaker is at most 10 years old
I could possibly do a minor Collossus style mod to cover the gap
I am sure that the problem is the tear in the PC
My gun is a CPS model, and it looks alot like the gun that the guy at the top of this page is holding, and Isoaker shows it is a CPS 2000 mk.1
Im just not sure if the bike tube will work...
-Croc

m15399

Post by m15399 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:17 am

Most likely not. I've never heard of someone repairing a tear in a CPS PC. An inner tube could not hold that type of pressure. If you are determined to fix it, I'm pretty sure you would have to replace the whole PC.

CROC

Post by CROC » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:31 pm

Does anyone know how much pressure is built up in the PC of the CPS 2000? Because I think it might just work...
I tried epoxy, but it failed miserably.
If I put bike tube over the whole internal of the PC and it was slightly tighter than the tube itself, would it work?
-Croc

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:51 pm

To find the pressure in a gun that is too hard to attach a meter to, use Ben's method:
1) Find the pump piston's radius (hopefully the internal one), find the total extension of the pump, and use the cylinder volume formula, (pi)(r^2)h, to find the pump volume.
2) Count the maximum number of pumps that you use.
And you should be able to take it from there...

As far as I'm concerned, don't even try repairing the CPS bladder, because it's a waste of effort. However, as m15399 said, you could try replacing the bladder; for this, use latex rubber tubing (LRT) from McMaster-Carr (you can use those hose clamps to create a seal).

I don't know too much beyond this, but if nobody else posts and you give up hope, I'm looking for a CPS 2000, even if it's broken ;) ...

Jadefalcon09

Post by Jadefalcon09 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:07 pm

CROC wrote:after I pump my CPS 2000 mk 1 water leaks out of the gun.
I know it is a tube leak, as I opened it up and there was a tear in the PC.)
It is leaking after pumping, and I got it from someone else, so I don't know how it broke
I filled my gun with water, until it was full. I pumped my gun and the pressure gauge did not move
The soaker is at most 10 years old
I could possibly do a minor Collossus style mod to cover the gap
I am sure that the problem is the tear in the PC
My gun is a CPS model, and it looks alot like the gun that the guy at the top of this page is holding, and Isoaker shows it is a CPS 2000 mk.1
Im just not sure if the bike tube will work...

Time to call in the big man, I have no experience at fixing PC Tubing, in the old days when this happened to one of our guns, We called it busted and chopped it up for parts (Unless the gun was a legendary one or was used often to warrant a nickname to it). Any comments Ben? I still know basic repair but nothing this extensive. Its a PC fix, or a broken gun when you get down to it.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:54 am

As I said, you can't actually repair the CPS bladder, but it might be possible to replace it with LRT. Has this ever been done?

m15399

Post by m15399 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:19 am

I doubt it will work. Putting an inner tube inside the PC (mentioned somewhere else) might work.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:47 am

@ m15399: You doubt which reply will work? I don't think it would be easy to put an inner tube inside an existing bladder, and that would leak/be unneccessary.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:55 pm

I have no experience with CPS bladder repair.

The only suggestion I have is replace the bladder with LRT of similar (or greater) resistance and of the same dimensions.

Epoxy would never have worked - the bladder would shift too much for any glue to hold it, unless you used some sort of chemical to melt the rubber and then re-fuse it. I'm sure that this can be done, but I don't remember what chemical it was, and I doubt you have access to it.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:54 pm

Yes, I don't think anybody has had experience with CPS bladder repair (though I may be wrong...).

If you could heat up the soaker, then you could melt and recast the rubber; however, this would melt the plastic in the soaker. In addition, if somebody was using any method to melt the rubber, then he or she might as well just repair the original bladder instead of bothering with adding another. However, this would leave weaknesses in the bladder.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:19 pm

I know that someone has achieved a PC replacement - I just don't remember who it was.... or how they did it...