Water balloon launching attachment for my Nerf Homemade

Threads related to water balloon launchers.
Drenchenator

Water balloon launching attachment for my Nerf Homemade

Post by Drenchenator » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:50 pm

[img]http://www2.trettel.net:8080/%7Eandrew/ ... alloon.jpg[/img]

This is a modification that I made for my second Nerf homemade. It allows it to shoot spuds, snowballs, and water balloons. I tested it with a water balloon earlier today. Then I set the air compressor that Ben and I have to 40 PSI and it shot a water balloon about 75 feet. This is pretty good considering that I used a fairly low amount of pressure and that it was designed for Nerf.

I am sure that this is the only water balloon launcher with a trigger. The valve opens really fast because of the way I designed it. I was not completely sure that this gun would shoot larger projectiles at all, so I am impressed.

Edit: Added link
Last edited by Drenchenator on Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:31 am

Wow, the trigger system is very well done. How much PSI can the plunger hold? For the Douchenator, any where in the range of 70-90 PSI can launch several water balloons in its barrel a couple hundred feet. Th eonly thing I would suggest is maybe making the barrel longer.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

m15399

Post by m15399 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:46 am

I was just thinking that type of trigger might work on a water balloon launcher. It should be able to hold a lot of pressure (until the o-ring was blasted off...).

I actually PM'ed him about that on a Nerf forum 5 minutes ago. :rolleyes:

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:52 pm

How much PSI can the plunger hold?
I did do a test (with a Nerf dart) at 80 PSI, but I never have really tested it at higher pressures because I don't believe high pressure is necessary as long as the volume of air is high.

The barrel could have been longer, but I made it this way so that it will have a 1:1 ratio of the volume of air to the volume of the barrel. I didn't want to make the barrel too long but higher pressures would combat that. It is rather short though.
It should be able to hold a lot of pressure (until the o-ring was blasted off...).
I doubt that the o-rings would be "blasted off". The piston has mounts made from PVC couplers that keep the o-rings in place, so it is a very solid design.
Last edited by Drenchenator on Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.