Question for the winter months

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
mikek1024

Question for the winter months

Post by mikek1024 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:45 am

I was wondering...Could some of the same principles used to power the water balloon launchers be used to make say...a snowball launcher? The snow where I live is super packable so I was hoping I could somehow make a snowball shooter for our friendly neighborhood fights!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:55 am

Welcome to Super Soaker Central!

Sure. There is no reason those principals can not be applied elsewhere. Also, to the best of my knowledge, water balloon launcher designs were based completely on potato launchers (spud guns), so pretty much anything can be shot out the barrel.

My brother once tried shooting snow, but because the snow wasn't very packable, when shot the snow just broke into many small chunks. Somewhat impressive, but not anything like what we wanted!

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:28 am

I once tried loading snow into a air-powered Nerf gun. The snow didn't compact very well, so it wasn't much use in battle. The snow gently popped out of the barrel, which I suppose was quite pretty nonetheless.
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:23 pm

On friday of last week I shot a snow ball well over 400 feet. If you do a system with packing and fitting you can get a pretty good seal.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:32 pm

Yes, I know that this thread is dead, but it is a great opportunity to warn everybody about the temperature limits of PVC. Don't use too high a pressure with it, or the WBL/SBL will crack.

I understand that there are some other materials that are similar to PVC, but with slightly different characteristics. Maybe these won't crack as easily.