2005 site awards?

Discussion of other water gun websites.
Hunt_and_Annoy

2005 site awards?

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:35 am

Hey guys, now that the 2005 summer is drawing to a close, is it not time to start thinking of the site awards for 2005? And will there be prizes lol?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:08 pm

Don't say LOL. Seriously, I really hate that AOL-speak.

I remember that we previously agreed to have site awards for years 2004 and 2005 after a lot more sites come out. Also, in your site's current state, I would be extremely surprised if it could stand up against established websites such as Soaker Sagas and SoakerMedia. ;)

marauder_4

Post by marauder_4 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:02 am

Ben wrote:Don't say Hey, that's funny!. Seriously, I really hate that AOL-speak.
Uh... don't you think it's a little strict to tell someone not to say hey? What is he supposed to say, "Hello gentlemen." "Good evening." "Salutations comrades."? Anyway, I think that to be eligible for the 2005 site awards you need to have updated your site this year. It's not fair if someone wins an award and their site hasn't been updated for a year.

DX

Post by DX » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:54 pm

"Hey, that's funny" used to be part of something that isn't compatible with vBulletin. I forget what, it could have been a smiley or the such, but that phrase was not originally posted by either Hunter or Doom. So neither have done anything wrong, it just looks strange because what used to be there isn't there anymore.

And the problem with update based awards is that would knock out of contention a huge chunk of the 2004 and 2005 sites. 2004 would have been the best time to give out awards, as that was during a site-building frenzy, but now things have cooled off. Unless a ton of sites pop up out of nowhere, there's not a large pool of 2004-2005 sites to draw from.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:10 pm

"Hey that's funny!" exists because during the forum conversion from IPB, all posts were filtered according to IPB's word filter rules. "Hey that's funny!" was Hey, that's funny!, a big pet peeve of mine. I don't like Hey, that's funny!s on forums. On AIM, you can say that all you want and I won't care, but I would prefer that you write out your forum posts, even Hey, that's funny!s (but don't say "laugh out loud" because that doesn't even make sense).

I would have prefered that vBulletin didn't filter the posts as they were converted. This sort of stuff can be confusing to those who weren't around at the time.

Hey, that's funny! is not filtered at the moment, though I have it set so that it is capitalized. If Hey, that's funny!s become too common, I'll filter it like before. Forum administrators have the right to tell people what to say and what not to say simply because a forum would be trash if it was pure free speech. There's trolls, flamers, morons, little kids, and more I don't want to go into.

Some other things I filtered that we haven't seen yet. TTY-L becomes "I'm a new guy who's leaving!", in fact, I still have that filtered because I'm waiting for someone to say it! OM-G becomes "Holy Super Soakers!". STF-U becomes "I'm a loser." These sorts of changes are very effective in making people not post these words, especially when they are the less wanted things such as STF-U.

Also, filtering is skin-based in vBulletin, so if you change your skin, you won't see the new filters! Just a tip for those who value these words so much.

Edit: I've changed these posts to reflect the original posts if anyone was wondering. ;)
Edit again: Censored the new way. We can control it easier this way.
Last edited by SSCBen on Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marauder_4

Post by marauder_4 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:36 pm

Duxburian wrote:"And the problem with update based awards is that would knock out of contention a huge chunk of the 2004 and 2005 sites. 2004 would have been the best time to give out awards, as that was during a site-building frenzy, but now things have cooled off. Unless a ton of sites pop up out of nowhere, there's not a large pool of 2004-2005 sites to draw from.
You can't call it the 2005 site awards if the site has not been updated since 2004, you'd have to call it the 2004-2005 site awards. I'm not saying that the material that site is nominated for has to be updated, just one part of the site or another. It's not much to ask for someone to post a little update. Really.

As for the "Hey guys", I now understand that it was originally lol. It makes sense to sensor that.

MilkMan

Post by MilkMan » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:31 pm

Hmmmm...what was this topic originally about again?
"Anything with a nozzle and a pump is good enough for me." <--------------- Same lying signature 3 years and counting!

LIGHT ANNIHILATOR

Post by LIGHT ANNIHILATOR » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:58 am

It was originaly about site awards, but it has quickly turned into a topic about what you can and cannot do.

Getting back on topic, yes I know that I am "playing the moderator". I do agree with Marauder-4 that we do not have enough updated sites for 2005 site awards.
Playstation 3: Check the Consumer Elecronic Show (CES) early next month for more PS3 info, and possible confirmation of a release date

m15399

Post by m15399 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:19 am

I think it should be since the last awards were given out. That ensures that Aqua Nexus, and the like, will not keep getting the same award every year, but also lets semi-old sites to participate.

marauder_4

Post by marauder_4 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:29 pm

m15399 wrote:I think it should be since the last awards were given out. That ensures that Aqua Nexus, and the like, will not keep getting the same award every year, but also lets semi-old sites to participate.
Aquanexus hasn't been updated since 2003, so if it got an award last year... that's pretty messed up.