Reputation system

Suggestions, comments, questions, and developments related to the Super Soaker Central site and forums.

Should the reputation system be used?

Yes, we should use the reputation system.
80%
No, we should not use the reputation system.
20%

Total votes: 25

SSCBen

Reputation system

Post by SSCBen » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:19 pm

vBulletin has a reputation (similar to karma) system built in as a feature. This system, essentially, allows you to give others reputation points for doing things such as making an interesting water gun or posting about an interesting war. You can also leave a comment on their post with this system. At the moment, I've given myself 1000 reputation points, mostly to kick start the reputation system if we decide to use it.

I am temporarily activating this system to give people an idea of what it is like.

These are the default levels of reputation:
-999999 - User is infamous around these parts
-50 - User can only hope to improve
-10 - User has a little shameless behaviour in the past
0 - User is an unknown quantity at this point
10 - User is on a distinguished road
50 - User will become famous soon enough
150 - User has a spectacular aura about
250 - User is a jewel in the rough
350 - User is just really nice
450 - User is a glorious beacon of light
550 - User is a name known to all
650 - User is a splendid one to behold
1000 - User has much to be proud of
1500 - User has a brilliant future
2000 - User has a reputation beyond repute
We can change these reputation levels easily.

If reputation is implemented in the long run, please avoid asking for reputation points, keeping them all for yourself, registering new accounts just to give reputation, or any other abusive use of the reputation system. I've read about problems coming from this, and I know what happens, so don't even think about it. ;)

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:08 pm

Looks unanimous so far - everyone wants the system! I'm going to start giving out and taking away reputation points now to get the system going.

^ Please click the above image on posts to give reputation points. ;)

CPS

Post by CPS » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:34 pm

It seems a bit pointless, it just gives us less time to post. I mean if you are around here long enough you will know who's popular and who's not. Besides you can just look at the join date or there join date (or both) if someone has 1,000 posts in a month they are spammers if they have 1,000 posts and joined 2 years ago they are a faithful member if they have 50 posts and joined 2 years ago they either like reading over typing or forgot about us (just check the last logged in date).
we don't need another system to judge us, other wise whole accounts will revolve around getting points.

Also "No, we should no use the reputation system." says mister check-your-spelling.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:55 pm

Typos happen. This is how you should handle them: Thank you for noticing my error! I have fixed the spelling. In my years here, I haven't seen too many other than myself do that yet. I'd love it if you could use some more commas too. :P

It's good to see that at least someone doesn't want the reputation system implemented, though, I personally feel that you vote against whatever I say just to do it. Your votes in the past few polls seem to suggest that you are against whatever I propose.

I don't think the reason that "it gives people less time to post" is very valid either. It takes less than 10 seconds to give someone some reputation points. I think the real question is if people will use the reputation system... and that is being tested at the moment. The reputation system is meant to be different than the total post system as well - it exists to highlight accomplishment.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:29 am

Well, this whole system sounds interesting to me, but I have doubts - I don't think I wholly comprehend it, but will monitor it.
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:32 pm

Personally, I like the idea, however, I'm not sure if it is ever going to get used.

I voted Yes.
I don't check this forum anymore.

Viscen Django

Post by Viscen Django » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:06 pm

I, too, support the idea of this reputation system. I was one of the people who voted Yes.

On a side note, how do you get Rep Power? Does Rep Power influence how much reputation you can give to another person?

-\\-Hraesvelgr-//- Sivayth Prioritus

Origin

Post by Origin » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:20 pm

I think this is a great idea, encouraging user to to spell correctly, use good grammer and overall be good members of the SSC community. :)

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:50 pm

Well, I, for one think that this idea is quite pointless. Simply because I would have around 10,000,000 reputation points in no time. It seems to take the fun away from it a bit. I say we give our younger members a different kind of incentive to post well. Also, it seems a little tacky to me. Just my thoughts.

DX

Post by DX » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:09 pm

I voted Yes, although it seems pointless to have it based out of 10. Right now a handful of people have 2,3 and 10, and the rest have 0.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

MilkMan

Post by MilkMan » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:20 pm

Well I guess it's a good idea if it helps the forum get active...Seems similar to ranks. Speaking of which, are you brining back the old ranking system?

Off Topic: Can you somehow set vBulletin settings so we can have avatars not just in our profiles.
"Anything with a nozzle and a pump is good enough for me." <--------------- Same lying signature 3 years and counting!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:00 pm

You can have avatars, in fact, you do have an avatar! Maybe you disabled avatars by accident? Let me know if something isn't working correctly because I could investigate the problem.

marauder_4

Post by marauder_4 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:04 pm

I would like an explanation on how rep power is given/recieved. In other words, "How do you get it?"

Anyway, I have mixed feelings. I voted yes, because it sounds like a good idea, but I'm not quite sure I understand it in its entirety. Also, it does bug me when people type sentances LyKe DiS, or use no punctuation at all; but at the same time I really don't like the idea of people fighting over correct language and grammer usage - to me that just sounds entirely beside the point. I mean, we want a nice forum full of intelligent conversation, but we don't want a forum full of sticklers.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:07 pm

Reputation points are given by clicking this button above posts:

Some forums display the reputation comments in the posts... I am still trying to figure out how to do that here.

Also, reputation points have nothing to do with spelling and grammar. Reputation is given by all members to other members for making good contributions - nothing else!

DX

Post by DX » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:28 am

I'm a bit confused by the way the Reputation System was set up. Supposedly it is out of 10 in public and 100 in private. For example take a look at my reputation: 3 in public posts, but 20 in the mod cp profile [It would make sense that 3 would represent 30 or 2 represent 20?]. Basically, the two don't correspond, and with other members, the numbers do or don't [about even] match each other in some reasonable, understandable way.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!