Homemade store

Suggestions, comments, questions, and developments related to the Super Soaker Central site and forums.
SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:12 pm

Recent events have made me think of starting a SSCentral-supported and hosted homemade store. Yes, I have been asked many times if I could make water guns for people, this idea is not new. I would like to know if there is interest in this. I'd like to know if it would be worth for me to start up in the first place.

Please only vote in the poll if you completely intend to buy one if a store like this was made! Everyone could say "Yeah it would be a good idea" but not actually buy one! I am looking for actual customers. I also realize that some of you more technically inclined will be looking to make your own, and with my step-by-step guide being made, I've added that option as well (I voted for it as well, what would you expect?). If you are not technically inclined, you are who I'd like to hear from.

Forceuser

Post by Forceuser » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:26 pm

I think that would be a very good idea. At the moment, while soakers are relatively low powered, there would probably be good interest in them.

Personally, if it was located in the same country as me, I would buy one, however, for the cost of postage, it is not worth it and I may as well make my own (although I'm going to - it's too much effort).

If this got going, a thing to think about might be to have members in different countries making them, though you would have to find people to do that.
Hey, images in sigs work again! Woo!

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:01 pm

I know I can make my own. But having Doom, the legendary homemade builder make one for me would be a real honor. Also, it depends on how much I would have to pay. B)

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

DX

Post by DX » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:23 pm

I would buy certain homemades if they used items that aren't available locally. [like good latex rubber tubing] That would mean I would probably buy a few CPH's if I would have enough extra money at that time.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:12 pm

how much would you charge? (can you give us a rough price list)
<span style='color:gray'>There are only 3 sure things in life: Birth <span style='color:red'>Death <span style='color:gray'>and <span style='color :p urple'>Taxes

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:35 pm

I can not give a price list because everything is custom and there is a shipping charge. While I have not started this business yet, contact me with where you live and what you want and I'll give you an estimate.

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:09 pm

Originally posted by Duxburian@Dec 30 2004, 10:23 AM
I would buy certain homemades if they used items that aren't available locally. [like good latex rubber tubing]  That would mean I would probably buy a few CPH's if I would have enough extra money at that time.
[snapback]20787[/snapback]

What is a cph? A cps version of the aph? If so, you might have a customer. What would the price be (roughly) shipping a cph to Alameda Ca area code 94501? Also, What would be you'r chosen way of payment? Thanks.

Freakymist

Post by Freakymist » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:15 pm

no offense but it is highly doubt ful that you will sell any, most of the people here are kids they act serious about buying stuff but in the end cannot get the money to you or are not actually serious.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:51 pm

I think there is a large enough interest in the community that people are serious about buying a homemade. The thing with this is Doom has to keep coming up with new revolutionary ideas to keep interest alive so he can keep selling them. Things such as better and improved models. You're right, a lot of people on this forum are younger aged. But on the Isoaker board, there could be huge interest.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:23 am

Of course, I am NOT selling yet. I am only looking to see if there is interest. If anyone is not completely willing to buy a homemade, please do not buy one! Simple as that. I have got completely serious offers before on several occasions.

FlameKnight

Post by FlameKnight » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:46 pm

Heh, I don't really like the idea of having home made guns. I prefer to use blasters that look like waterguns, if you're going to use something superpowered that's made of pipes, you may as well just use a hose :blink:.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:54 pm

They DO look like water guns, just not the spacey XPBackfire-esque that Super Soaker has been giving you. Plus, these are portable and more powerful than the hose. If you fight based upon looks, you're not fighting the same fight I am and instead should be propping your gun up on a easel and become the true artist you are.

Now that was downright silly...

Anyway, the point of homemades is not looks. That is well established. You use a homemade water gun because of it's superior performance. You could stick a homemade in another gun's frame anyway. I prefer to not have added weight and size. I personally don't do anything special to my "pipe" guns.

FlameKnight

Post by FlameKnight » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:21 pm

I suppose, but it all kinda depends on how you waterfight. I never get into any hardcore waterfights that would require any of the tactics on this and other sites. Waterfights just happen if it's a hot day and we were all going to be at eachother's houses anyway. None of us could really be bothered to make a homemade gun, and if one was bought, it would probably be looked down upon, because someone has an ultimate watergun that can kick the XPBackfire-esque out of everyone else's toys.

Imagine it another way, with another object:
You're in grade 6, and you and all your friends collect pokemon cards. You all save up to buy precious booster packs, each of you with many useless cards, but you have fun anyway, battling eachother with your pikachu's and whatnot.
One day your distant cousin, a crazy magical man, offers to sell you an authentic deck of pokemon cards, consisting of all the rarest and most powerful cards, for really cheap. If you accept, you get this ultimate deck, and go around easily defeating your friends, kicking the XPBackfire-esque out of their weakling togepis with your mighty charizards. Eventually, all your friends stop playing you, or stop playing pokemon cards altogether, which wouldn't have happened had you not accepted the magical man's offer.
You kinda get what I mean, right? We play with these super soaker toys just for fun, to get each other soaking, someone taking it too seriously would just ruin it.

Now, I'm not saying that the shop couldn't be successful, the guns would be highly useful in a proper water battle, but the question was if I would buy one, which I probably wouldn't.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:43 pm

Let's not argue or go too far off-topic, I only was looking for interest, not why you won't use them.

Most people don't use "tactics." I honestly don't use "traditional" tactics, I only use common sense (read my Aquabatalicus). Fact is these aren't "ultimate" unbeatable weapons, and you don't need to be a "hardcore" water gunner to use them. Whoever thinks that really has it off. Those hardcore guys painted their guns black and wore tons of camo - exactly what I don't do.

Homemades do perform better than other guns, at the cost of size and pumps. There are pros and cons to using homemade weaponry. If you've ever used a homemade you know that they aren't unbeatable. Nothing is unbeatable. Last battle I had, I GAVE OUT homemades to people to use for the battle, not to make it fair but because they were available. The first battle lasted until lunch and the second and third went on after. No one was complaining about how unfair these guns were. That was one of my only battles last summer as well. As long as you don't have terrible weaponry you'll be doing fine in most battles.

If you think homemades are fantasy weapons they are not, don't disappoint yourself by using them. They are better, they are my only choice. But as with everything, they are not unbeatable.

Then again, I did get most my Pokemon cards for free. :P No one's complained though.

If you want to continue this discussion, please start a new topic. ;)

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:12 pm

What about liability? If you make a powerful homemade and sell it to someone who is irresponsible (don't just say you won't, because you wouldn't be able to know) then you (doom) could be looking at a lawsuit. And just having a disclaimer wouldn't work. Not if you actually give the gun to someone. Sorry to sound so serious but you have to consider that seriously.
<span style='color:gray'>There are only 3 sure things in life: Birth <span style='color:red'>Death <span style='color:gray'>and <span style='color :p urple'>Taxes