Paintjobs

Threads about water gun modifications.
Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:54 am

When you paint a gun, does it spoil the paintwork if you re-open it?
<span style='color:gray'>There are only 3 sure things in life: Birth <span style='color:red'>Death <span style='color:gray'>and <span style='color :p urple'>Taxes

DX

Post by DX » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:08 pm

Not if you're careful! :P The gun might get a few scratches when you open it again, but you could just simply repaint the affected areas. I use spray paint, so that takes about 5 sec.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Dark Elite

Post by Dark Elite » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:07 pm

Yeah, old topic, but so what? It's been pinned, so it doesn't matter.

I painted my 310 by taking it apart (of course I didn't paint the pressure guage, Vet...) and painting each part seperately (both sides of the shell, the PCs, the nozzle selector and the extra bits around the nozzles and the above the reservoir.) I didn't paint the reservoir because it's trashed. But that way, the paint won't be damaged by re-opening the soaker, because it was painted open. The paint got screwed up a bit, because I was going to duct tape a strap on but it failed. When I took the tape off it brought some paint with it... :angry:

At last, the long-awaited picture. You can see that the reservoir is shattered and where the paint got pulled off by the tape. I'll have to paint over those chips on the PCs as well.
Attachments
Smaller_XP310_pic.JPG
Smaller_XP310_pic.JPG (58.55 KiB) Viewed 19625 times
Visit <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Sam's Supercars

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color :o range'><span style='font-family:Arial'><u>My Weaponry</u>
CPS2100 (Thank You King Soaker&#33 ;)
1 Liquidator/Pressurizer
1 Max-D 6000
1 XP310 w/my own power mod and 8 balloon XPS mod
2 piston-pistols (backup)

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:00 pm

If you want a strap, talk to me. I put one on my XP-310 "Swashbuckler" with out tape of any kind. I had a instruction video on how to do it, but I lost all my work when I was editing. Save a lot in high memory programs people!
Go ahead and PM or find me on aim. If I get the time, I'll re-edit the video or write an article on how to do it. It works very well.
--------------------------------------------------------------
BlueSoak.net

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:12 pm

Umm, straps are easy to add. Just find a location for a rope or hole to drill and then buy a strap to put on that spot. I've done that on homemades and my CPS 2100. You don't need an instructional video on that, it would be faster and easier to read a simple article.

Dark Elite

Post by Dark Elite » Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:11 pm

I know, but there's nowhere to drill on the 310. Rope, that would work at the front because of the removeable section at the front, but the back would be too hard to attach anywhere...
Visit <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Sam's Supercars

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color :o range'><span style='font-family:Arial'><u>My Weaponry</u>
1 Liquidator/Pressurizer
1 Max-D 6000

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:22 am

My article is on the 310! I guess I need to write it. Meh. I have decided against video.
BlueSoak.net

Dark Elite

Post by Dark Elite » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:10 am

What about a strap on a 2100? I was thinking to use the carry handle to drill the back hole in, and just in front of the fake yellow tubing above the PC, but it turns out that has real tubing in it, so I'll need to work that out when I get my 2100.

EDIT - Just read your post again Doom, what did you do?

1 Liquidator/Pressurizer
1 Max-D 6000

DX

Post by DX » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:01 pm

This is a topic about paintjobs, if you want to talk about straps make a new one. This topic will be closed if it goes any further off-topic.

Dark Elite

Post by Dark Elite » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:28 am

I didn't start talking about straps. In fact, I was hoping this would head back to paintjobs now... <_<

LEAVING STRAPS OUT OF IT, anyone got anything else to add, like a painted soaker?

1 Liquidator/Pressurizer
1 Max-D 6000

atomix

Post by atomix » Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:08 am

Hey guys,
I've read a few guides about painting my soaker, including http://www.soakage.net/tips/painting.html and was wondering if there's anything I should know about before proceeding. I want to paint my super soaker XP 270. I'm just scared I might paint a certain part which will not allow my soaker to function properly.
Basically, I'll be;
- Sanding supersoaker with 200 grit sandpaper.
- Spraying 3-4 coats of primer.
- Waiting for 24 hours.
- Sand bubbles out.
- Spray spraypaint.

Is there anything I should know about?

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:02 pm

Make sure you don't spray over the nozzle, trigger, or pump. That could stop them from working, therefore ruining your gun.
Rereading these forums make me feel old >.<

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:39 pm

I'd wait for someone like Nibordude or Duxburian to post something, their painted guns in our gallery are some of the best I've seen. Just go through the next few pictures to see them all. They should make their own guide. ;)

DX

Post by DX » Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:29 pm

We use simple spray paint with a coat of lacquer [Sp?]. Lacquer protects the paint from chipping and also gives it a nice gloss. We don't sand or primer, the paint sticks well enough. The paint dries in about 15 mins, and the lacquer dries in about 15 mins as well. The whole process only takes a little more than half an hour.

<EDIT>
I'd wait for someone like Nibordude or Duxburian to post something, their painted guns in our gallery are some of the best I've seen. Just go through the next few pictures to see them all.
We had more pics of more painted guns, but they got erased from Nibordude's digital camera, so we need to retake them if you want to see more.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:12 pm

There are several things you want to think about before you paint your soaker. Firstly, do you want it to be creative and paint certain parts of it different colors, or do you want to paint it all just one color? If you go creative, you'll need to apply a base coat. This color is simply the least common color that will be on the soaker. If there are a couple of colors, spray the areas you'll be needing them in. It doesn't matter if you get the color in the wrong area where the main color will be. After the paint has dried a considerable amount, tape over the areas that you just painted and want the color to stay there. After taping, apply the main color to your soaker. Let it dry and pull the tape off. Now apply several coats of laquer to the soaker. You may want to add several layers to make sure your paint job is well protected. If you just wish to paint your soaker one color, paint it, put laquer on it, your done. Secondly, you need to decide where you are mostly going to use the soaker. Do you care if you will be seena mile away? If not, go crazy with the colors. I personally paint most of my guns with camo themes. And lastly, are you sure that painting over your gun will not harm what you will do with your soaker in the future? If you plan on selling this soaker in the near future, you might not want to paint it. Although, there was a nicely painted MXL on ebay that fetched quite a high price. All of these things must be factored into your decision about painting your gun. Good luck.

A couple of tips. If you want to paint the nozzle, put cotton balls in the nozzle so it will be clear of paint. If you are painting the pump, and it's a tracked pump, make sure you paint the area under the pump. Do this by moving the pump forward or backwards. You can dismantle your gun for easier painting.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci