Cps 2100 King Mod

Threads about water gun modifications.
King Soaker

Cps 2100 King Mod

Post by King Soaker » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:48 am

I am a little early posting details on this, so this is a preview of my latest project. I am working on a CPS 2100 K MOD that should double the CP capacity. It is a very difficult MOD, so I am not positive it won't end up destroying a gun or two first. Here are the details.

1. Both sides of the CP casing have been heated, and expanded while retaining the integrity of the surfaces that are screwed together. As you know, adding 80 balloons to the CP chamber reduces the amount of water it can hold. Since we know a 12" balloon will expand to 12" we need a bigger CP chamber. Practical limits suggest adding another 2" in diameter to the CP chamber. This should double the water capacity of the firing chamber to around 1100 ML or greater! An exact number will be determined if the gun survives the operation.

2. The frame will also be heated, and stretched to make room for the new larger CP. This may be the hardest part of this project. At least making it look decent will be a challenge.

3. I am going for the gusto on this one, so a 80 balloon mod will require trigger valve reinforcement. JB Weld has been selected for this, and as the substance of choice for the check valve freeze.

4. If successful, we should have a soaker to be reckoned with! Detailed photos of this project should be available early next week.
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>The "S" stands for SUPER Soaker!

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:30 am

I sugjest checking the "Media" section of soakthis! before you go and heat the frame. Near the bottom it shows me "beast" that I made a few months ago. It was pretty much a failed mod, but you could do the same idea for your PC. With maybe a few modifications so limit ducttape use.
--------------------------------------------------------------
BlueSoak.net
--------------------------------------------------------------

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:15 pm

I've tried stuff like this, and I think the easiest thing to do would be to just replace the PC case because then all you'd have to do is case mods to get it to fit. I'm thinking a hacksaw would be easier than heating it up too. I could use my 2700's one, it would need a few small modifications to put the 2100 PC in (the 2100 has a female end and the 2700 has a male end), but it should work. Other things like 2 cheap soup bowls should work I guess. A fish bowl is also another idea I had (just make sure to use a plastic one). I haven't been able to try much other than the 2700 case though, this is just what I had planned. I probably would have had it done if it wasn't for this vacation that I had to go on, but it doesn't matter, I've already done an interesting new mod to my 2100.

Good luck with the project! It sounds similar to what I had planned for my 2100, except mine was going to have a few other mods (nothing too new though).

King Soaker

Post by King Soaker » Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:50 pm

Doom, I got the idea from you! I remember your recent post about this, thinking it would be really hard to do. After some thought, I decided to try it. I am set on trying to stretch the stock CP, making it look like a BMW motorcycle engine. The trick will be to stretch the plastic evenly. I have a good idea how it can be done. The best way would be to make a new mold from the original out of fiberglass, and extend it, but this would be too much work. I think the frame of the gun around the CP can be trimmed away with a dremel, and the smaller remaining support (part that looks like yellow tubes) will be filled with epoxy for strength. If the CP looks like it's too thin, I may coat the entire thing in epoxy before assembly. One way or another, it will happen this weekend.

King Soaker

Post by King Soaker » Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:10 pm

Looks like my report on this project is a little early, because things went really well. The CP housing, or firing chamber was heated with a Bernz O Matic propane torch using the heat spreader for removing paint, and putty. The CP housing was heated one side at a time until the plastic starts to soften and shrink. You can see when it starts to become flexible. At this point it was stretched with a glass candy dish that was the perfect size. Using leather gloves of course, because the plastic is around 400 degrees at this point. Checking the capacity with a glass beaker shows an increase of about 275ml over the stock CP. The sides of the frame were also heated the same way, and them the enlarged CP pressed into place to re-shape the plastic perfectly. The firing valve was coated with JB Weld to help withstand the extreme pressure it will hold back. The results seem to be the most powerful Super Soaker I have ever seen. I will try to post a range test in the future.
Attachments
King_Mod_Ultra.jpg
King_Mod_Ultra.jpg (39.18 KiB) Viewed 3897 times

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:05 pm

Sounds great, I'm looking forward to the range tests. More pics would be great too. Have you tried drilling larger holes in the sides of the PCs?

King Soaker

Post by King Soaker » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:11 pm

Doom,

Here is a photo of the CP bladder, and the expanded firing chamber. The chamber looks ugly, but works great. We shot it until our arms hurt yesterday. I didn't take any photos of the check valve freeze, because there are already good photos of this procedure in the mods area. I coated the firing valve with JB Weld, so there won't be any chances to repair this one if something goes wrong. This procedure was getting a little sticky, so I didn't get a photo here either. The way the firing valve fits in there, the frame of the gun should add considerable strength to the valve. The pump is extremely stiff with all those balloons, and firing time looks like a little more than a second. I would guess range is about 60' firing level, and this thing has extreme power! Feels like a fire hose! I will try for an action photo, and accurate range test soon.
Attachments
King_Mod_CPS.jpg
King_Mod_CPS.jpg (35.37 KiB) Viewed 3869 times

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:36 pm

Wow. Good job. I'm just wondering if the pc will mold to odd shape of the case? I hope it works well for you.

Edit: grammar

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

King Soaker

Post by King Soaker » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:16 pm

What's amazing is that a plastic pump can expand this bladder at all! The thing seems rock hard, and is really heavy. It takes more pumps than a stock unit, so I can only assume it is expanding all the way. At a point, you just can't pump it any more. The case still feels really strong, so would imagine it fills in every imperfection. I would hate to get hit with this thing at less than about 15 feet, cause the pressure is intense.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:29 pm

I think I'll try this mod after I fully K mod my 2100. I still need to buy 30 more balloons. I'll put the mod on the site if King wasn't planning on writing something up. I think this could possible be nicknamed the King mod, because it was first tried by King Soaker and gives you a king sized PC! Maybe, I think I'll still say PC expansion though.

King Soaker

Post by King Soaker » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:55 pm

Doom,

Like I said, I know this was your idea. I just sorta took the ball and ran with it. I think this is a new area that has not been explored to it's fullest, and other than more power, more capacity is the next most important thing. I would like to see an article, and would be glad to help any way I can. I have already started thinking about the next project, and would like to find a way to make the CP even bigger. I know the next one will have a more symetrical CP housing, because I know what I could have done to make it better, and even slightly bigger. In case anyone has a Walmart near them, I found bags of 72 12" balloons for $3.69 in the party section.

blaze

Post by blaze » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:56 am

Ahh but now that your PC is nice and big you should make your reserve nice and big. The 2100s reserve is a little pathetic excuse for a reserve. Do what I did with my 2100 K-REX! That basically means make the reserve approx. one gallon large. You can see my gun in the 21000 reserve expansion article.

King Soaker

Post by King Soaker » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:16 pm

Blaze,

Yes, very nice MOD indeed! If I had a spare CPS 1-3-5, I would do the same thing with it. What we need is a hardware store substitute to accomplish both of these mods cheaply.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:23 pm

Blaze, why do you call it a reserve? It does store reserve water, but most everyone (except you) calls it a reservoir.

I wouldn't do anything that requires another soaker to do, that's just sXPBackfire-esqueing one soaker to make another better. I am experimenting on my 21000 with reservoir expansions involving PVC or even 2 liter bottles. I'll post when I get something good working.