Giving A Speech About Water Guns

Threads about how water guns work and other miscellaneous water gun technology threads.
USSA

Giving A Speech About Water Guns

Post by USSA » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:13 pm

At my camp the CIT's (counselors in training) have to create a project for the campers every session. I brought up the principles of water guns and what not and it appears to have gone over well (I may even be able to convince them to let us have a water fight afterward :P ) Anywho I have to teach a bunch of 8 year olds the principles of a water gun and air pressure and the likes... you guys are the experts so any ideas on the stuff I should cover (remember layman's terms these are 8 year olds ) ;)

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:30 pm

You went 'n Fu**ed up. I forget how smart I was when I was eight, but I do remember that it took me 2 months to figure out how to make a Homemade. Then awile longer to make a proper one. I finnally finished my designs after Doom's homemade came out. Then I added more stuff. The entire prosses took my from april to now. And your going to teach it to eight ear olds in a week? Well.
You should have your own homemade, or at least a opened soaker. Teach them about check valves, and PSI. Now go oever the steps it takes to bring water from the resevoir to the pressure tanks. (Best leave out the concept of CPS for awile.)
Are they making soakers, or just learning about them. A class would be boring unless they got to make something. Problem is, all the parts, and glue to create PVC homeade's is a little...not edible... for eight year olds. If you know what I mean. I think you should have them all draw up designs for their own soakers, based off one you draw or explain. Then you go around as they do so, and point out flaws, and improvments to their soakers.
--------------------------------------------------------------
BlueSoak.net
--------------------------------------------------------------

Storm

Post by Storm » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:28 pm

Are you just teaching them or will you have fights to? I wish I could join this camp :-p haha. How many kids will be involved in the fight if there is one?
Storm

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:30 pm

You'll need a homemade of your own. Or CPS might be easier to explain. Illustrate the principle to them with squeezing something, or blowing up a balloon (or filling it up with water, come to that).
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:01 pm

The best and easiest thing to do would be to bring a soaker and take it apart. Show them the parts, tell them what they do. If you can't do that get some internal pics or a pic of a homemade and show them that.

Other things I would say include the difference between CPS and air pressure, stuff about nozzles and how CPS works. Say things about stream lamination and how to get it, what it does, ect. On how CPS works, say that the thicker it is the more powerful. Basic stuff like that.

Also be sure to refer them to SSCentral. ;)

USSA

Post by USSA » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:57 pm

a. I said in about a week not that I'd have a week (I have a mind boggling 90 [180 if I'm lucky] minutes) ;)
b. I like the idea of designing a homemade thanks
c. the balloon idea will work
d. bout 20 people (I'll teach them the principles and then go outside and soak eachother (or maybe attack sports? oh the possibilites)
e. concept of lamination --------------> whoosh (Why don't you try teaching them lamination)
-_-

Wet Willie

Post by Wet Willie » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:27 pm

btw I go to the same camp as USSA and in the same group as a CIT so thanks for the info! :D

TheMechanic

Post by TheMechanic » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:48 am

http://www.howthingswork.com has all the different kinds of blasters and moving animations! if you have access to a comp. try it out, great site. Hit the link then go to the bottom of the page and hit next until you find the system you want to teach
Attachments

[The extension htm has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

USSA

Post by USSA » Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:01 pm

Yeah I was thinking of using them as a resource (its a great site) (which is besides the fact because I already know how a water gun works) but I can't bring it up for them as we are in a science classroom and I would prefer to limit the screaming kids huddled around my laptop...

blaze

Post by blaze » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:09 pm

I think I agree with BlueSmudge on this one. It took me from last summer to earlier this summer to fully understand soakers. Then I could start major mods and homemades. Before then, many things boggled me. And I was 12! Now I'm 13! When I was 8 I was stupid. All that those kids will care about is that water guns exist. They Don't care how they work, as long as they work. Here is an example of what will happen:

USSA: So then the water goes from the reserve to the pump shaft by passing through the check valve when the pump, which has a rubber seal in the shaft, is retracted from its natural position.
Kid: What's rubber?

In other words, you're going to have a REAL hard time. BTW, Cps will be easier to explain than air pressure.

USSA

Post by USSA » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:22 pm

maybe.... but could u enlighten me on how I'm going to convince science couselors that cps technology was moe interesting and revelutionary....

side note: they aren't all 8.... some are 9 ;) ....and it is a science camp they can't be that oblivious.... then again they are rather.... errmmm... young..... ok I'm going to be in trouble\

ok so I teach kids about water guns and they all stare at me (like so :blink: ) then I tell them to design guns and they all scribble on a piece of paper (refusing to believe that a box with squiggles on it won't shoot a million gbuttilion feet) and then we all go outside and shoot stuff... sounds good to me....