SSC will now be subscription only

Community news posted by the SSC staff.
SSCBen

SSC will now be subscription only

Post by SSCBen » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:32 pm

Edit 11:30 PM: April Fools!

The good news is that I've decided to make SSC ad-free. I think most people will enjoy that change.

The bad news is that doing this will require me to run SSC on a subscription only basis. You can still view the website without a subscription, but in the coming weeks as we modify the board to reflect the subscription only chance you will lose your ability to use the board.

This fixes a lot of problems I've had in my mind, namely, the cost of running this website, trolls, spammers, among other things.

The subscription will be a one-time $5 fee.

Again, you can continue using our forum until we implement this system.
Last edited by SSCBen on Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Re: SSC will now be subscription only

Post by Silence » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:58 pm

I'm not so sure a subscription model is a wise choice.

Most users here are only in their teens - somewhere between 13 and 16 years old. That reduces the options for the average "customer" who may have only a less-than-convenient way to pay.

Second, you may not get as much as you expect you will. A fee (of any amount) is going to turn away visitors who want to join. Whereas existing members may be willing to pay, others don't even know how much they will use the boards.

Also, only 25 members have visited in the last few days. You may get enough money to pay for hosting for a while, but that may be all you get.

I understand why you need the money - hosting is incredibly expensive, especially during college. But I frankly don't think enough people will be willing to pay any fee. An SSC store seems more viable, although that would require lots of work for potentially little profit.

Or alternatively, have members pay for special status - custom user titles, a special title or icon, or something. I've seen that on multiple boards and it seems to work well in all demographics.
Last edited by Silence on Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:14 pm

Ben wrote:The good news is that I've decided to make SSC ad-free. I think most people will enjoy that change.

The bad news is that doing this will require me to run SSC on a subscription only basis. You can still view the website without a subscription, but in the coming weeks as we modify the board to reflect the subscription only chance you will lose your ability to use the board.

This fixes a lot of problems I've had in my mind, namely, the cost of running this website, trolls, spammers, among other things.

The subscription will be a one-time $5 fee.

Again, you can continue using our forum until we implement this system.
Makes sense, and though inevitable, glad you figured out how to do it for only $5! Hope you received my PayPal payment for the subscription!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:20 pm

Yep, got it.

I'll be making a new PayPal account soon just for SSC related things, so others can hold tight if you want to send something in. ;)

eternal46845

Post by eternal46845 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:15 pm

I smell something fishy. :rolleyes: Look at the date, guys...geez.

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:35 pm

Sounds good. You'll be getting mine soon

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:33 am

Just in case anyone didn't figure it out yet, this was an April Fools joke. ;)

I'll edit the top post to reflect this because people have been confused before.

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:36 am

You did this a couple years ago too yes?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:22 pm

We didn't do that SSC will be subscription only from what I remember. Spinner did that we are closing SSC back in 2004 or 2005.

Freakymist

Post by Freakymist » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:53 pm

Maybe I'm just slow, but did iSoaker really send $5 or was he just going along with the gag?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:56 pm

I never received any money. I'm not even sure that my PayPal details have been posted here, so he obviously was playing along. ;)