SSC 2008

Community news posted by the SSC staff.
Silence

Re: SSC 2008

Post by Silence » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:45 am

Wow, the larger font makes a big difference. I didn't even notice the change since it was so easy to read and forget about! My only suggestion would be making the member names in each post a point or two larger or bold; but that's really being picky.

Nice catches, Specter! I guess it's really nice to have so many people reading and checking for errors. :)

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:56 am

I didn't like the heading sized member names vB has by default, but now that you think about it, it might be a good idea to make them a little bigger. I'll experiment.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:33 am

Okay, I added the pictures (Thank you, Specter). I did notice that I was a bit hasty when I was making the gallery: the Storm Internals page had the wrong URL! I also forgot all of the image credits; I'll have to add them later.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

Specter

Post by Specter » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:07 am

Drench, one minor error on the Storm internals page. On my last pic, the one you labeled "Storm 600" it goes to the same image as "Closeup 2" .
Other errors: The "Battles" Gallery goes nowhere.
"Homemade Water Guns" gallery goes nowhere as well.
typo on Speedloader 1000 internals pic2 "itsefl"
@Ben: Supercannon II grammar error: "Comparatively, Supercannon II blows everything water gun out of the water." should change "everything" to "every other" or somehow rearrange the sentence?

And i'll be glad to provide more photos when i can take them. :)
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:40 pm

Yeah, I've noticed I type everything when I meant everybody, every other, everyone, or something else similar. Thanks for pointing that out. If you notice anything else let us know.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:27 pm

I fixed the errors you listed. I also found two more looking through and fixed those. The "Homemades" and "Battles" galleries aren't quite done; that's why they don't go anywhere.

We're looking forward to any submissions.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:51 pm

I'm adding those two gallery pages right now just to say "coming soon." That should be less misleading. Once again, thanks for the pointer!

Specter

Post by Specter » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:46 pm

I have a suggestion, don't know if its possible.
Is it possible to make the Super Soaker Central banner at the top a link to the main forums page, because i like just clicking on website banners and being able to go to the home/main page, and not having to find the little link somewhere on the page I would currently be on. :)
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:40 pm

Yeah, Ben's working on that one. It's a little hard to implement right now due to the way the logo is displayed. I agree it's more conventional and convenient to have the logo be a link!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:02 pm

I'm certain it can be done with JavaScript, but I don't know how to do it yet. I'm still investigating. ;)

Specter

Post by Specter » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:05 pm

ignore this...

how do i delete a post?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:14 pm

In vB you have to edit a post to delete it. That's counterintuitive, I know, but it's how you do it. Now that you mention it, I might be able to make a way to put a delete button next to the edit button...

sbell25

Post by sbell25 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:53 am

Reading the Supercannon II article was very interesting. I didn't find any mistakes in it, however I do have a couple of suggestions for the article:

-Perhaps you could have a second output graph? I mean a linear one beside the logarithmic one, showing a towering bar next to a few stumps :D . I think this would really put into perspective how powerful it is.
-Maybe some pictures from the shot pics thread? Or even some impact videos?

Also, after getting a closer look at the gun itself I have one more question. For filling, couldn't you just scrap the check valve, and instead use the ball valve? So rather than filling through one valve and venting through another, you could have the single ball valve doing both. This would save a lot of space and make the gun look more streamlined. Obviously you wouldn't be able to change it now, but it's just a thought.

Edit: Just found a typo in the article:
The two images show how the piston should be arranged before inserting it into the piston.
Last edited by sbell25 on Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soaker Leader

Post by Soaker Leader » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:04 pm

Very Nice update :) , That old 2005 site (I think) was getting really old, glad you finally got a new update for this year.

Figured I would stop by(Haven't been around in awhile) and noticed that this place was Brand Spankin new :) .

I noticed in the Homemade Section under the CPS homemade at the very end you have got a [video here] or [link here]. Might want to clean that up ;) . Also, if you need those XP 310 High Res Internal pictures I sent awhile back, I can see if I can dig them up and send them to you again.

Thanks,

-SL

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:29 pm

-Perhaps you could have a second output graph? I mean a linear one beside the logarithmic one, showing a towering bar next to a few stumps . I think this would really put into perspective how powerful it is.
-Maybe some pictures from the shot pics thread? Or even some impact videos?
We can make a second output graph. I wanted the numbers to be visible, but using normal axises would put it into perspective.

I meant to add some more shot pictures. We have a lot we could add, so we might make a gallery from it. We also have a good deal of videos to add. It might take some time to add the videos, but shot pictures can be added today.
Also, after getting a closer look at the gun itself I have one more question. For filling, couldn't you just scrap the check valve, and instead use the ball valve? So rather than filling through one valve and venting through another, you could have the single ball valve doing both. This would save a lot of space and make the gun look more streamlined. Obviously you wouldn't be able to change it now, but it's just a thought.
That's a possibility that I didn't consider when building. You're right that it would be more streamline, simpler, and cheaper, but I would definitely prefer to have two separate valves so I could have an air muffler on the ball valve. The air release is very loud. If I remember correctly, I measured 110 dBs at a few feet. Using an air muffler probably reduces that to 50 to 70 dBs, which is a pretty big cut, but still relatively loud. There also is the convenience of just plugging the air compressor onto the gun to fill it up I suppose.

As for the typo, thanks for pointing that out. Little things like that always go past me.
Very Nice update , That old 2005 site (I think) was getting really old, glad you finally got a new update for this year.

Figured I would stop by(Haven't been around in awhile) and noticed that this place was Brand Spankin new .

I noticed in the Homemade Section under the CPS homemade at the very end you have got a [video here] or [link here]. Might want to clean that up . Also, if you need those XP 310 High Res Internal pictures I sent awhile back, I can see if I can dig them up and send them to you again.

Thanks,

-SL
Hey! Welcome back.

I actually remember going through those pictures, so I know we have them, but we must have missed adding them. Yeah, just checking out my organized images I can see I have them. Thanks for the reminder. We probably missed several images like that.
Last edited by SSCBen on Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.