SSC 2008

Community news posted by the SSC staff.
Drenchenator

Re: SSC 2008

Post by Drenchenator » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:48 pm

Also, after getting a closer look at the gun itself I have one more question. For filling, couldn't you just scrap the check valve, and instead use the ball valve? So rather than filling through one valve and venting through another, you could have the single ball valve doing both. This would save a lot of space and make the gun look more streamlined. Obviously you wouldn't be able to change it now, but it's just a thought.
Yes, you could, but it wouldn't help with filling much. The current setup makes filling very easy with our air compressor--a single valve would just seem messy to work with. With the current setup, one valve does one specific thing; so one valve only lets air in, the check valve, and one only lets it out, the ball valve. No funky changing of fittings and what not is needed--it does everything it needs to do in one package.

Also, I'll try to add the linear output graph; I made the others for the article anyway, so it's no big deal.

@Soaker Leader: Welcome back!
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:13 pm

Welcome back, Soaker Leader! I guess you checked the site at the right time since it just got updated. :cool:
Ben wrote:Using an air muffler probably reduces that to 50 to 70 dBs, which is a pretty big cut, but still relatively loud.
That's a massive difference. According to the decibel scale, the difference in amplitude is 10 ^ (dB/10). Cutting the sound by 40 or 60 dB is the same as cutting the actual amplitude by 10,000 or 1,000,000.

Of course, the logarithmic scale was invented to model our perception of volume, so perhaps the difference in sound doesn't seem like a factor of ten thousand. :p

EDIT: Oh right, we'll see to the [link here] and [video here]. Those were used early on when the articles we wanted to link to hadn't even been added! There are probably other notes like that throughout the website, too, especially in the FAQs.
Last edited by Silence on Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sbell25

Post by sbell25 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:40 pm

Yes, you could, but it wouldn't help with filling much. The current setup makes filling very easy with our air compressor--a single valve would just seem messy to work with. With the current setup, one valve does one specific thing; so one valve only lets air in, the check valve, and one only lets it out, the ball valve. No funky changing of fittings and what not is needed--it does everything it needs to do in one package.
I don't think it would be messy to work with. Only a couple of extra turns of the ball valve compared to how it's set up now. Unless you're factoring in having the muffler installed as well, then yes it would be a pain to work with.

I suppose my idea wouldn't really work, as Ben said the noise level from venting is too great. I don't imagine anyone participating in a waterfight wearing a pair of earmuffs. :D

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:35 am

By accident I deleted my last message, which angers me a bit because I was writing something in the article about what I said. I've added something about the air muffler to the Supercannon II article because I didn't say anything about it before. I'll summarize what I remember my post was about below.

The air muffler I used said it would reduce the noise level by 20 dBs, but from what I remember, it reduced it by more. The homemade one I made only had a reduction of about 15 dBs and was larger in size. I would recommend buying an air muffler for whatever you use that ejects a lot of air but not through a barrel.

Of course, the most efficient use of that air would be with another device, which would be ideal, but I consider Supercannon II to be nothing more than a fun water gun project rather than a serious water war gun. It has too much water consumption, uses too much air, needs to use a ramrod before reloading (and consequently takes a minute or two to refill), etc. With that being said, it probably would be fun to use Supercannon II in a water war, even if you lose huge, just to have by far the most powerful water gun on the field.
Last edited by SSCBen on Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soaker Leader

Post by Soaker Leader » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:25 pm

Thanks for the welcome to anyone who remembers me :P .

As for pictures, I also have some Stream Shots of my old XPS 310, they are fairly nice too. I will see if I can dig those up right now.

-SL

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:14 pm

Send them to my email and we'll add both them and the other ones you sent.

Soaker Leader

Post by Soaker Leader » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:25 pm

It's a shame I could only find one of them. I guess the others got deleted. I will see if I can get some later today.

-SL

Godzillasoaker65

Post by Godzillasoaker65 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:20 am

Hehe nice new site and everything. I'm glad to see this site is still here, and I plan on staying for a while. I was over at NerfHaven awhile just looking at the forums, but i'm pretty sick of limitations Nerf gives me. No brass around here, and crayola barrels are getting old fast. Mostly everything I need for Soaking purposes can usually be picked up at Rocky's or Home Depot, and I plan on making some sort of water balloon launcher or homeade. I haven't checked out those new guides yet, so that will entertain me for a while =) Thanks for keeping this great site and forum going, even when there isn't many people here, I still appreciate it.
Soak, or be soaked that is the question!

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:32 am

Welcome back! The forums are probably a good deal less active than they were previously, and people have changed, but Doom/Ben's still here. :)

As Ben has mentioned, we're looking to add to the site on a regular basis. The previous version was essentially unchanged, with no new content uploaded, since the end of 2004; see archive.org.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:10 am

Welcome back Godzillasoaker65! Glad you like the new website.

I don't have time to say much because I'm going to bed, so...

Above is post statistics for 2007 and January 2008. I think we're off to a good start.