help with overclocking

All topics, except for ones related to water fights. Posts made here do not count towards your post count.
JF2015

help with overclocking

Post by JF2015 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:01 pm

i have a computer i built it has an amd phenom II x2 3.11 ghz processor, i want to overclock it, it has amd overdrive installed in it but i dont really understand how to use it (it might seem weird i want to overclock a processor over 3 ghz but i dont want my pc to be slower than the fastest laptop) so anyone know how to use amd overdrive?
if you get soaked, look UP first

my (rather small) arsenal: max d 6000, arctic blast,ww shark, aph (in progress)

cantab

Re: help with overclocking

Post by cantab » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:30 pm

I've never tried overclocking myself. My own current system is a Phenom II also, and even with air cooling I think I'd have some room to OC.

To an extent I question the point however. I mean you're gonna get what, 10% faster at best unless you go in for some serious cooling upgrades? Whereas in a couple of years you can expect to get 100% faster. And there's so much else that influences PC performance (OCing my processor isn't gonna help my somewhat poor hard drive speed).

If you are doing CPU-heavy stuff then I guess it might make sense. If a job normally takes 2 hours knocking ten minutes off it isn't bad. And if you have something that's on the edge of what your CPU can do then the overclock could let you do it reliably.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:37 am

I would only overclock to about 15% of the CPU stat at the MAX, because I tried to go over that and it fried the processor.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

JF2015

Post by JF2015 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:40 pm

what cooling system were you using
if you get soaked, look UP first

my (rather small) arsenal: max d 6000, arctic blast,ww shark, aph (in progress)