My laptop

All topics, except for ones related to water fights. Posts made here do not count towards your post count.
cantab

Re: My laptop

Post by cantab » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:55 pm

Fredcompany wrote:If my computer was a bit faster I'd use Linux running Wine to play CoD 4, but I think that would probably make it completely unplayable. I haven't even started up the computer yet, so I'll just see how it goes.
Not necessarily. Wine is a compatibility layer, not an emulator. It does introduce an overhead, but that can sometimes be more than offset by the OS having less.

You will need to ensure you have hardware 3d acceleration. If using nvidia graphics, you'll need nvidia's proprietary driver. ATI and Intel have open source drivers with 3d acceleration so you'll probably have it out-of-the-box.

Of course, there's speculation that a Linux Steam client is coming.

When thinking about PC games in general, bear in mind PC games have been being made for decades. As such, any computer can run plenty of games - the ones that were being released around when it was new. Don't disregard a game just because it's several years old. If a game was fun to play when it was release it will still be fun to play now.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:57 pm

Roller Coaster Tycoon series. IMO, the first and second ones are the best; first one for scenarios and gameplay and second one for building. RCT3 however, has the whole 3D engine and all, and some custom scenery/rides created for it have been pretty amazing. People are even working on custom track pieces so you can build a coaster properly. (Like on the Nolimits coaster simulator.)

RCT1&2 will literally run on any computer unless it's running DOS or something ancient. RCT3 needs some beefy 3D hardware especially for its nightmode and light sourcing but even then you may have trouble because the engine is poorly optimized and the light sourcing slows things down massively. However, RCT3 will run on just about any 3D hardware available, but will slow down massively when parks get too big especially at nighttime.

I heard ATI didn't even have Linux drivers and it wouldn't have surprised me considering the issues their software has had before but I'm probably mistaken.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:20 am

No, Steam for Linux is coming. It's bloated as a hog though if you have limited memory, at least on Windows.

I totally agree that you have to be satisfied with older games or lower quality if you want to be happy with lower specs. It helps that I've made friends in college with similar tastes, e.g. Starcraft (1998) :P .

There are lots of fine games on the list, but the thing to be wary of is that, if you plan on using online multiplayer, older games may not have active communities. Obviously not true for Civ IV, Command & Conquer, Counter-Strike, Multiwinia, Soldat, Starcraft, Unreal Tournament, maybe even the Jedi Knight series. Lots of good single-player games too.

The open-source games (many of which run on Linux) are generally let-downs if you ask me. FreeCiv may be all right once you get used to the 2D, isometric view of the older Civilization games.

ATI drivers have come a long way. I'm not sure if the open-source ones or the official ones are better, but they're definitely usable these days.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:36 am

Many older games rock. Red Alert 2 is still one of my favorites even though the graphics suck by today's standards. It's also why I love NES. Xbox 360, PS3, that stuff has stunning graphics...but NES has Mario Bros, Super Mario, Duck Hunt...really classic stuff. So what if the graphics are just colored blocks and the soundtrack is 8 bit beeps...there's more entertainment value in those classic games than in many new ones. Newer isn't always better...

...except when it comes to computers and memory-hungry apps that is...
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:58 pm

Silence wrote:The open-source games (many of which run on Linux) are generally let-downs if you ask me. FreeCiv may be all right once you get used to the 2D, isometric view of the older Civilization games.
I've found several of them to be enjoyable. Wesnoth, certainly. Super Tux Kart may be a shameless Mario Kart ripoff but that doesn't stop it being fun to play. Liquidwar is highly original. Endgame: Singularity is intriguing - if you've liked the Pandemic games it's well worth a look.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Fredcompany

Post by Fredcompany » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:39 pm

Before I wiped my hard drive, I almost downloaded Singularity. It was on the Ubuntu Software Center, and most of the programs on the USC are OK.
I'm a dude

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:52 am

I reccomend age of empires 2, audiosurf, age of mythology, i wanna be the guy :D , starcraft, and warcraft 3.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

Comrade117

Post by Comrade117 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:42 am

DX wrote:Many older games rock. Red Alert 2 is still one of my favorites even though the graphics suck by today's standards. It's also why I love NES. Xbox 360, PS3, that stuff has stunning graphics...but NES has Mario Bros, Super Mario, Duck Hunt...really classic stuff. So what if the graphics are just colored blocks and the soundtrack is 8 bit beeps...there's more entertainment value in those classic games than in many new ones. Newer isn't always better...

...except when it comes to computers and memory-hungry apps that is...

You are right. It is all about fun, not graphics. Red Alert 2 is awesome. Did you know this: in skirmish games you can load Crazy Ivan into IFV to get portable nuke (only if you have both Allied and Soviet MCV, of course)

I dont know why, but I still think RA2 is better than RA3.

Fredcompany

Post by Fredcompany » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:38 am

I have the original RA on my old computer and it was brilliant.

I only have an hour of wifi at the moment, but I might extend it to a day or buy another hour tomorrow - I'm on holiday (although it's not much of a holiday - it's raining)

I forgot about Audiosurf. I had it before I wiped my hard drive, but I didn't play it much (I don't know why).

I found this brilliant game called OpenLieroX. It's basically a real time version of Worms for Mac OS X.
I'm a dude

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:15 pm

I have fond memories of RA1 too, and still have my copy. Might give it a go on Wine, it didn't work when I tried a few years back but maybe it will now.
Arsenal:

Comrade117

Post by Comrade117 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:50 pm

I have old RA1 too.
Too bad you need windows 95/98 to play.
Soviet troops were overpowered. They had much stronger tanks and infantry than allied troops. However, allies had medics and mine layers.

Fredcompany

Post by Fredcompany » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:14 pm

I'm now in Wales in a tin box (caravan) but I did manage to find a wifi network called "default" with no encryption. It's reasonably fast too.
I'm a dude