Victorian Bushfires

All topics, except for ones related to water fights. Posts made here do not count towards your post count.
MarsGlorious

Victorian Bushfires

Post by MarsGlorious » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:15 am

I would imagine that you heard about the Victorian Bushfires (Wildfires - American Translation) on the news. Well, the area it hit was our area. We all live in Northeast Melbourne and that's the area where it was burning. One of our battlefields is on the property of one of our members and the fire was 50m (160 feet) from his house. They had to call in 3 fire trucks to protect the house. Part of that battlefield is now scorched.

It was pretty clear that this was the worst bushfire in Australian history. It killed 150 people and destroyed thousands of houses and it was on our doorstep. A sad thing about it, is that it hit two towns hard. Kinglake and Marysville. Both of these towns were well known for having beautiful rainforest, and it's all burnt now.
"Wherever there's a dark age, there are Dark Apostles." - Storm

Silence

Re: Victorian Bushfires

Post by Silence » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:15 pm

That's terrible. And I didn't realize you guys have wildfires in the winter.

Anyway, nice to see you're back, MarsGlorious. :)

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:22 am

Ah, in the winter.

Perhaps I misunderstood you, but we live in the southern hemisphere. While all the plants drop their leaves for the winter there, all the grass and non-native plants die (go brown) for the summer here. Sigh.

Think about this for a fact.

Australia is the driest, oldest, least volcanic, least fertile continent on the planet. That's why a country the size of the USA has a population of only 21 million and we are over our sustainable limit. New Zealand could have more people.

Oh the day with the fires hit it was 46C (115F). Hottest day on record. It was preceded by 4 days above 40C (104F). Everything was dry. Go figure.
"Wherever there's a dark age, there are Dark Apostles." - Storm

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:16 pm

Oh, so this was some time ago. I didn't realize that.

Yeah, heat and dryness is never a good thing. From what I've heard over the last few years, it sounds like things are getting worse.