School

All topics, except for ones related to water fights. Posts made here do not count towards your post count.
Silence

Re: School

Post by Silence » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:21 am

Heh, about time you spoke up. :cool:

I should note that quads here (as far as I know) are basically single bedrooms with a lounge, bathroom, and maybe a kitchenette. The bedrooms are really small though. Provided you have good roommates, it's probably better to go for a double or quad since you don't have to share a bathroom with the entire floor. Of course, I may be wrong since I'm still in high school.

Choice of classes really depends on which college you're in. Some (like MIT) don't really let undergrads deviate from the major's requirements, which can be good because universal prerequisites for upper-level classes means the teacher doesn't have to reteach the fundamentals. And everybody knows what they're doing. Most other colleges give you choices, which can be good, but then it's up to you to catch up on what you don't know.

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:28 am

My college varies on bathrooms. Most of the old stuff is shared, but the new build (finished last year) have ensuites. New build is expensive though, about £90 a week.

And I've just got back from a holiday in Scotland, mostly the Outer Hebrides, hence not having been on the forums.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:33 pm

I'm sure the housing setup has more to do with the individual university than anything else. University of Maryland is pretty large so they went with a lot of "bulk housing" which is overall crap unless you have a entirely decent set of people in the building. I'll give exception to the dorm I had last year though. While it was a high-rise it also was an honors dorm and that made a difference.

The suites here sound a lot like what cantab described.

So far the dorm I'm in has been relatively calm, though I definitely see some issues coming up in the future. I've heard my share of disturbing things already. One kid asked me if the no tobacco policy covered chewing tobacco. Just to get him away from me I told him to ask the RA. Sometimes I don't understand how some people got into any university...

I'm already picking up trash off the hall and bathroom floors so I should have plenty to complain to the RA about soon. The trash in the bathroom is particularly annoying. The trash can is right next to the door. You can't leave without walking within a few feet of it. :p

Last night I attended a frat party and I have to say it was one of the most pointless things I've ever done. I don't drink so it was incredibly awkward. I don't know about most people but something about heat combined with bad music played very loud with too many people in a small building combined with drinking and a bad guys-girls ratio makes me uncomfortable. Some of my friends wanted me to go and just to make them shut up about it I went. I ended up leaving somewhere between 11:30 and 12:00 and I had to walk a long way because my dorm was pretty far from the frat houses.

While I do think those parties are stupid, I'm all for them. Anything to keep the drunkards out of the dorms. I don't care if you drink but I do care if you affect others with your drinking.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:54 am

I should note that quads here (as far as I know) are basically single bedrooms with a lounge, bathroom, and maybe a kitchenette. The bedrooms are really small though. Provided you have good roommates, it's probably better to go for a double or quad since you don't have to share a bathroom with the entire floor.
Really depends on the school. Conn rooms do not have bathrooms, kitchens, or lounges. Just a "large" aka small room with beds and furniture. However, the apartments have those other features, some of which are surprisingly roomy. Freeman Tower and a few others are essentially penthouse suites. However, all the apartments are incredibly difficult to win - hordes of other people want them too.

Since I'm at a liberal arts school, there are few required courses, except in major tracks, and even then those are extremely broad. Lots of choices and classes that cross disciplines. Personally, I'd hate to be stuck in a rigid track and a rigid profession. I'm one of those people who has heard the expression "good at many things, great at nothing" yet have attempted to figure out how to best it, how to become great at many things. The side effects of course are lack of ability to finish things, lack of concentration, and a rather severe lack of time.

Large parties are often pointless. Kegs for example are simply a boiling hot room packed with sweaty, drunk freshmen. Can't hear anything either. Basically room parties with friends are the only kind that are fun. No more than 10 people, usually around 5-7, drinking not necessary.

Oh and sub-free stands for substance-free. Aka a dorm with no booze, drugs, or associated items allowed for any resident of any age. Basically a completely dry and sober dorm. Most, if not all, wet campuses have at least one of these halls and some floors in others.

I think it's funny how cigarettes are allowed, yet candles are contraband? :(
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Specter

Post by Specter » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:56 pm

Well, today was my first day of school as a senior. (yay :) ) It went pretty well. I think my first half of the year will be easy, but the second half may be easier (i can't say for sure at this point lol) One of my teachers came right out and said he doesn't give any homework. Only if he goes absolutely crazy will he give maybe 3 assignments in the half.
So far my schedule is working for me. Heres a quick run-down of my daily doings (green is half year/semester course, red is full year):
first period i have Phys ed. - not too bad but it's first period so it'll help me wake up.
2nd is Ecclesiology - aka church history (i go to a catholic school blah blah blah)
next is introductory art -seems like i should get thru this easily
4th period i have lunch
5th is Civil War - This teacher is really nice, but this course might have alot of work, I can deal with it though because I had him for American History 1 my sophomore year.
6th is Calculus - will end up with a LOT of work. had this teacher last year for Acc. Pre-calc
7th is Astronomy - I'm not sure about this course yet, but seems like it may be on the hard side, I should get thru it though because stars are cool :-p (i saw saturn thru my telescope once that was neat, also saw a couple meteor showers, oh also saw the space station fly over a couple years ago)
8th is English 4- had this teacher sophomore year too, will have lots of work at some points

anyways, I'm happy with my schedule and hope to do well in my first semester courses. :)
well actually, the only thing I'm not too thrilled about is having 4th per. lunch, which is like 10:30am. It's more like a late breakfast.
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

CROC

Post by CROC » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:00 am

Today was the first of about 730 days until I am in university. As usual, I had the boring plaigarism notices and code of conduct reading, and a boring welcome back assembly, but my schedule is as follows:

A - Chemistry 11
B - Computer Programming 11
C - Math 11
D - Accounting 11
E - Media Tech 11
F - Physics 11
G - Music 11
H - English 11

I am going for mechanical engineering, hence chemistry and physics. So far, it's nice, but the highlights of my year are the trip to NZ, and a somewhat creepy Russian-esque Math teacher who is easy to follow, but that's just me.

Now, the marks count (my school only does 6 classes a day, doing some wierd scheduling a 4 day rotation in a 5 day week. I look forward to completing this year, especially because I can go back to Bari Sax next year if not this one. I am basically competing with a grade 12 over the sax.
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:08 am

My schedule:
1. Physics Honors
2 Calc AP (Not too bad, 1.5 hrs homework a night. The other calc class gets like 3)
3 US History
4. Bio AP (Oh god 2.5 hrs homework per night)
5. Lit
Lunch
6. Spanish Honors (Hate spanish)
7. Java

Gonna be a busy but fun year.

Specter

Post by Specter » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:59 am

I'm looking to go for mechanical engineering as well. Only 148 days left till i graduate high school. (not including vacations/other days off) I'm wondering if i can get a minor in civil engineering because i would like to work on structures as well as the mechanical stuff.

I'm looking at Rutgers University(NJ), Widener University(PA) and University of Delaware (obviously DE). The choices between these colleges are tough though. If I choose to go to Rutgers, then I'll have free tuition because my mom worked at UMDNJ when it was part of Rutgers and retired from there with that benefit. If I choose Widener, they have a Coop program where you get an internship and work and earn money as part of your "courses". During those times you don't pay tuition and the money you earn is yours and can do whatever you want with it. (earning up to $35,000+ during coop work periods) I could quite possibly get an job working with Boeing or Lockheed-Martin (as most should know these are aircraft manufacturers and designers, Boeing I know has a plant/corporate office or something somewhere in Delaware, I think L-M has one somewhere in DE too but i haven't checked.)

I think that would be really interesting because you work hands-on with the full time employees of the corporations and stuff. Also because I like aircraft, I know it would be expensive but someday i would like to have either my own helicopter or small airplane. If i do decide to go to Widener and work at one of these places, i can gather up enough experience and knowledge to build my own airplane if I wanted.

University of Delaware is a nice college but we didn't see too much of the engineering department when we went on the campus tour. -At widener they actually showed us the engineering buildings, showed us a couple labs, equipment, and other things they use. (they even showed their dune buggy racer, model aircraft (had about a 4.5 foot wingspan, gas engine etc), and a human powered car.) -also at Widener the classes are smaller than UDel and Rutgers. i think their ratio is 12 or 15:1 (student:faculty) Delaware is 24:1 if i remember correctly, and Rutgers has quite large classes(more than 25:1 i think) because its such a big, popular school, and their school of engineering is one of the best in the country.
I have yet to go to a campus tour at Rutgers, but for some reason I'm leaning toward Widener as my choice, probably because of the coop program and the idea of getting a job, earning money, then going right out into the work field after graduating college.

anyway, i guess that rant is long enough for now.. i have to go to bed.
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:06 pm

Since schedules are being discussed...I haven't started yet (start October) but the first term I have no scheduled classes! It's almost entirely given over to our 4th year research projects, though there are a few seminars each week and we're advised to attend those that interest us.

Of course the downside is that makes it too easy to be a lazy bugger and not do enough project work. The deadline is the Wednesday of week -1 of the Lent Term I think (ie just over a week before the start of term in January)

I don't think the equipment I'll be using is in particularly high demand. I hope it's not, because I don't really wanna be having to go into the lab at midnight to use it.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:11 pm

Interesting that Rutgers offers free tuition to students of employees. UVA doesn't even offer any lowered rate or scholarships, even though most schools do.

If you work at a big company like Boeing, make sure you're in the research or high-level engineering division. You don't want to be a code monkey programming in C for the rest of your life.

It's funny to hear "Lent Term." In the US, separation of church and state makes it illegal to even call winter break "Christmas Break." It's bit silly, if you ask me, since winter break is conveniently scheduled around Christmas each year. No coincidence, obviously.

cantab, does 4th year mean you're turning 20 or 22 this school year? I know the British system cuts off regular school at 16 years, but I'm not quite sure if the next 2 or 3 years count as part of university.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:18 am

Here's my schedule:

ENME232 - Thermodynamics
ENES220 - Mechanics of Materials
ENES221 - Dynamics
PHYS270 - the third physics class
HONR218L - Language and the Mind

Because I'm part of the UMD Honors program I have to take something like 5 classes in the HONR category or from honors versions of classes. Where I stand there's essentially no honors versions of classes I can take (unless I want to take something like BIO100) so I'm stuck with the wacky honors classes. "Language and the Mind" is an intriguing class (so far at least), but I wouldn't take it if I didn't have to. To be honest the only reason I took it was that it fits a general-ed requirement I need, fits the honors requirements, was open when I registered for classes, and fit in my schedule. :p

@Specter: You might find that a high student-teacher ratio doesn't matter much. Student-teacher ratios don't matter much to me. After taking lectures where the ratio was probably 50:1 after factoring in TAs I've figured out that 99% of everyone doesn't care and you can still get to know the teacher. Not to mention that the discussion and lab classes are usually pretty small so you can get the attention you need.

I wouldn't be surprised if most colleges with an engineering program has some sort of career program. Here at UMD we have a lot of career services. I've been going to their free workshops about getting an internship and it's been very helpful. I never realized quite how much was available to me here. I'm actually finalizing my resume at the moment so I can go to some career fairs and use UMD's internship website...

We've got a coop program here at UMD too. I'm sure most colleges would let you do this so I wouldn't choose Widener just because they said they can do it. Rutgers has a coop program. I couldn't find anything about University of Delaware's programs however.

From the sound of it, Rutgers sounds like a good deal. They're a great school and if I could go there free, I would. But it all depends on what you value, of course.

Specter

Post by Specter » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:09 am

Well the thing about Widener's coop program is that its a 4 year program as apposed to most other colleges coop programs are 5 years. They also have different options/variations of the program so you can choose which semesters or part of the year you want to work at the internship or whatever. From what they told us at the college tour/open house, their coop program is much easier to manage and is much more flexible than some other colleges.

i'll see if i can find out more info on rutgers when i go to visit the campus.

edit: I read that page, it says you must be a junior or senior to do the coop program. At widener, your first (if you choose the default option) coop session is the summer after freshman year. You get more work experience in and get more oriented in the field you are interested in.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:40 am

Silence wrote:It's funny to hear "Lent Term." In the US, separation of church and state makes it illegal to even call winter break "Christmas Break." It's bit silly, if you ask me, since winter break is conveniently scheduled around Christmas each year. No coincidence, obviously.
Yeah, Cambridge, like some other ancient universities, has weird names for a lot of things. Our terms are Michaelmas, Lent and Easter. And we have a 'Mayweek' which is a bit longer than a week, and in June.

Unsurprisingly, religion permeates the history of Cambridge. Most colleges (it's a collegiate university made up of 31 semi-independent colleges) have a chapel (a few are secular) and there is the university church, Great St Mary's. There is still a requirement that we live within 3 miles of Great St Mary's (they don't want students commuting I think) and that you not keep a car within that same 3 miles (because if we all had cars parking and driving would be impossible)

The concept of separation of church and state would require some degree of upheaval in this country, given that our head of state (The Queen) is by definition head of the Church Of England. I think there has been talk of removing the bishops from the House Of Lords though (roughly the UK equivalent to the US Senate I think),

In any case, it's a bit academic. Whatever the constitutions might say, US politics is rather more influenced by religion than UK.
cantab, does 4th year mean you're turning 20 or 22 this school year? I know the British system cuts off regular school at 16 years, but I'm not quite sure if the next 2 or 3 years count as part of university.
22. Compulsory schooling lasts 12 years - from 'Reception', then years 1-11, which is the year you turn 16. Then 'sixth form' is another two years and referred to as 'Further Education'. The word 'college' in this country is usually taken to mean a sixth form that is not part of a school (though it's meaning as a college of a collegiate university, and to an extent the American meaning of any university, are understood in context). After that is 'Higher Education', or university. A first degree (B-whatever) takes at least 3 years, a Master's another year after that.
Arsenal:

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:59 pm

That looks like a pretty reasonable list of courses, Ben. Does UMD not make you take English and other core requirements? Were you exempted because of AP courses or the honors program? UVA has a couple merit-based scholarships that essentially exempt you from all requirements.

cantab, the Senate is an upper house, like the Lords, but everybody's elected, not appointed. And as with all US Government, the actual politics is more boring and serious than in the UK. You probably knew all that already, though.

I suppose there's no kindergarten in the UK. Here it's associated with the regular school system (whether public or private), so we basically have 13 years of school and start at the same age (4, going on 5). The last two years are essentially required and don't have any more options though, unlike in your system.

I'm a little confused though. You refer to colleges as part of Cambridge (here they have the same term - pieces of bigger universities in part of the campus), but there's also the sixth form.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:29 pm

Specter wrote:Well the thing about Widener's coop program is that its a 4 year program as apposed to most other colleges coop programs are 5 years. They also have different options/variations of the program so you can choose which semesters or part of the year you want to work at the internship or whatever. From what they told us at the college tour/open house, their coop program is much easier to manage and is much more flexible than some other colleges.
That's interesting. Here when the coop program was described to me I just thought it was something you could do instead of taking class, but that's an interesting variation. I could get away with doing coop and still graduating in 4 years, but I'm only a class or two short of being a semester ahead.
Silence wrote:That looks like a pretty reasonable list of courses, Ben. Does UMD not make you take English and other core requirements? Were you exempted because of AP courses or the honors program? UVA has a couple merit-based scholarships that essentially exempt you from all requirements.
I already took ENGL101. There are a good deal of core requirements, but I'm not taking anything aside from HONR218L for them at the moment. This is typical of engineering majors because you have a lot of classes to take.