SSCentral members age groups

All topics, except for ones related to water fights. Posts made here do not count towards your post count.
SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:58 am

Last time I checked, this thread was pinned. Pinned threads are meant to be posted in after periods of inactivity. I wish people wouldn't worry about that. From my experience, the only people who worry are the ones who won't have a problem. ;)

NivaWaterTurret

Post by NivaWaterTurret » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:44 am

I never had any form of soaker (other than water baloons and the ability to pick up someone and throw them in a puddle) when I was younger so maybe I'm making up for it now.

However, I am an engineer and a male. These are two reasons why low-scale weapon construction will always be interesting.

And just incase I didn't feel old enough already, the internet really wasn't around when I was 13 and I didn't even own a computer 'till I was 17.

LIGHT ANNIHILATOR

Post by LIGHT ANNIHILATOR » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:41 pm

Viscen Django wrote:Just turned 14 this month. I turn 15 on October 12. Just 3 lousy years until I can get my driver's permit...

I am 13 now. Also all of the states you guys live in must have really strict driving laws. In Virginia you can get a permit at 15 and a license at 16
Last edited by LIGHT ANNIHILATOR on Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Incorrect acronym usage
Playstation 3: Check the Consumer Elecronic Show (CES) early next month for more PS3 info, and possible confirmation of a release date

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:57 pm

"Im" isn't a word and I can't filter it simply because it also would filter the perfectly fine acronym "IM". Please avoid saying that.

Here in Maryland the laws are similar to those of Virginia. I never got my license because I didn't feel that I needed it. Here you can get the learner's permit at 15 and 9 months, provisionals at 16 one month and one day (no lie either - it's stupid really), and full license at 18.

I never understood the need for a car very much. I do ride my bike most anywhere I need to go though, so it might just be me.
Last edited by SSCBen on Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Forgot possesive

Spinner

Learner's permit?

Post by Spinner » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:14 pm

Ben wrote:Here you can get the learners permit at 15 and 9 months, provisionals at 16 one month and one day (no lie either - it's stupid really), and full license at 18.
Interesting. What's a learner's permit as opposed to a provisional one then?
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:46 pm

With a learner's permit, you can only drive with someone 21 or older who also has a permit, and when you drive you are under many restrictions. To most people, it means that you can only drive with a parent. To the older and less social, I've heard it can be annoying.

The apparent reasoning behind the learner's permit doesn't make much sense to me. The older person is supposed to provide tips and help you drive, but in my experience they are only there mostly so you can drive legally (some have told me that their older sibling is only asleep in the backseat). From what people have told me, barely anyone even takes an older person because there is no way to distinguish between new and older drivers really. They now require a "rookie driver" sticker to be put on all new driver's cars, so that is changing.

The worst thing of all is if you get even one ticket during the provisional period, you go back to the learner's permit. For people of my age, you have to wait 3 months after the learners period to get the provisional license back. For people younger than me, that wait is now 6 months, and they're working on changing that to 1 year. I don't see how this prevents accidents really. It just makes it harder for you to get driving experience.

addy606

Post by addy606 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:49 am

I'm 12 going to be 13 in december. I had to lie about my age because, my parents hate super soakers. thats why I only have three soakers :( .
By the way, Webmaster, you helped change the subject. :heh: I got you!
Last edited by addy606 on Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

m15399

Post by m15399 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:15 am

If you are only 12, then you are not a legal member of this board (I believe).

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:32 am

Eh, I don't care. As long as he doesn't post like a noob or spam, he should be able to stay. Atleast he is honest.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:48 am

Ben wrote:With a learner's permit, you can only drive with someone 21 or older who also has a permit, and when you drive you are under many restrictions. To most people, it means that you can only drive with a parent. To the older and less social, I've heard it can be annoying.

The apparent reasoning behind the learner's permit doesn't make much sense to me. The older person is supposed to provide tips and help you drive, but in my experience they are only there mostly so you can drive legally (some have told me that their older sibling is only asleep in the backseat). From what people have told me, barely anyone even takes an older person because there is no way to distinguish between new and older drivers really. They now require a "rookie driver" sticker to be put on all new driver's cars, so that is changing.

The worst thing of all is if you get even one ticket during the provisional period, you go back to the learner's permit. For people of my age, you have to wait 3 months after the learners period to get the provisional license back. For people younger than me, that wait is now 6 months, and they're working on changing that to 1 year. I don't see how this prevents accidents really. It just makes it harder for you to get driving experience.
Right...so what's the provisional license for then? Do you have to be accompanied while you have one of those?
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:07 am

Honesty isn't what matters. Lying about your age is against our TOS. Now that you have told us, legally I have no choice but to ban you. If I don't know, legally I am not liable. You have been banned until December 26, 2005, shortly after your 13th birthday. This is due to the design of the ban system - I will unban you if I remember to earlier.

For people who joined before we enabled COPPA, you can stay! You were not bound by those terms upon registration and I can not bind those people by them now. Just to clear that up.

I also think that driving licenses are very on the topic of ages and growing up... I don't understand why you wanted to "get me". People go off-topic all the time and I do nothing about it.

MilkMan

Post by MilkMan » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:20 am

I know this is kind of crazy, but doesn't this mean RacerSoaker is banned...?
"Anything with a nozzle and a pump is good enough for me." <--------------- Same lying signature 3 years and counting!

DX

Post by DX » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:38 pm

Racer joined way before SSCentral complied with COPPA, so he can remain here without needing to fill out a form.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:31 pm

Spinner wrote:Right...so what's the provisional license for then? Do you have to be accompanied while you have one of those?
No, no one is required to be with you. I believe that the provisional license simply has loads of restrictions (some of which are quite annoying I believe). From what I've heard there is a law that doesn't allow someone with a provisional license to drive with non-family members, though if that law exists, it sure doesn't have a very good compliance rate.

DX

Post by DX » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:15 pm

If you have a provisional, the amount of passengers does not matter as long as you have someone in the car over 21 years old. A provisional license doesn't have that bad restrictions [Why would you ever need to drive at 3 in the morning?] The Learners' Permit has the restriction where you can only have 1 passenger, and I think that person must be of your immediate family and reside at your house.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!